• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Rescued" M816 Wrecker

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not very good at this.

Thanks guys. Batteries were indeed weak. Only 12V each. The solargizer on them just isn't enough. Battery chargers in place! :roll:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tanks to red!

Injection pump had lost its prime and there seems to be a blockage of some sort in the tank pickup line (unless in the replaced lines from the fuel filter to the tank, air is still getting in - yes, orings replaced on the tank selector). It pulls fuel from the filter just fine.

https://youtu.be/Sn-ebraAqGc

Last edited:

red

Hoping to put the crane to use in the next 2-4 weeks. Lot's to check out back there.

I'm off work this week so can swing by again no problem.

red

Good progress with the wrecker today. Fired it up and started testing things out. Drives and brakes, rear PTO works. Rear winch functions like it should.

Front PTO is not engaging. The linkage moves, and the little stub shaft spins but the driveshaft from the PTO does not.

uploadfromtaptalk1441860404442.jpg

Crane does not operate. PTO shaft spins, tank is almost full.

Clutch needs work. Can't control it from the rear controls.

uploadfromtaptalk1441861075267.jpg

NovacaineFix

Tanks to red!

Injection pump had lost its prime and there seems to be a blockage of some sort in the tank pickup line (unless in the replaced lines from the fuel filter to the tank, air is still getting in - yes, orings replaced on the tank selector). It pulls fuel from the filter just fine.

Glad you got it running. Had almost the same issue on my 818.
Had 0 of 4 batteries, only one tray, so I could only put 2 in, for now.
Took the 2 batteries from my 1009 to try to start it and it would crank and crank but no start.

I had a restriction in one of the tanks, I am running on the left tank since the right one had no cap for who knows how long, so I know there is water in there.

Anyway, took the fuel hose off at the filter inlet, blew compressed air to the tank, re-filled the filter with diesel, then took a transfer pump and drew fuel up to the IP.
A few squirts of ether and she started right up.

Anyway, sorry for the play by play, but it sounded like almost the same scenario I had, but no wrecker body.

Good Luck.

wcuhillbilly

Clutch needs work. Can't control it from the rear controls.

View attachment 580528[/QUOTE]

Check the air can on the pass side that actuates the clutch for the rear controls.... if need be run a new air line (plastic air brake line) to the can, and retest. If the can is not expanding, DO NOT BUY from the suppliers,,,, average cost is $500 for a can,,, this is nothing more than a Type 9 roto chamber can from a small air brake assembly,,, they are $50 from NAPA,,, just cut the long threaded rod to your length and thread on your clevis to spec. Saves you alot of $$$... I just went through this and paid $150 for a used one from Boyce only to find one in a truck shop laying on the floor.

wcuhillbilly

Will do.

With the crane not working is there a common failure point there?
You are engaging the power divder behind the seat, trans in 3rd or 4th, tcase in nuetral. Then engage rear air lever, shift rear winch in nuetral/disengaged, shift crane to engaged, then release rear air lever. Correct?????.
If the rear air lever isnt working, the same can be accomplished by "soldier #2" using the truck clutch in the cab.
Outside of this i would make sure the shafts that actuate the pump are turning under the turret,. And that the power divider is sending air to the rear controls. Get rid of the old copper line and replace it with modern truck plastic air line, easier to work with and far cheaper than the copper. Cash in copper for beer,,,,$$$.....

red

Yep using 2 people we did that. Clutch in, 4th gear, power divider pulled forward, tcase neutral. On bed the crane lever pulled to the rear, then clutch released. PTO shaft to the crane spins, fluid is almost full, but no operations from the crane.

Rear winch works.

Big fan of the newer air hose, easy to work with and durable. Considering the other air problems at the rear controls, and the audible air leak by the tcase, sounds like new air line plumbing to do then.

wcuhillbilly

Is the rear air lever actuating any air at all? If there is an air leak near the transfer case it sounds like the pwr divider line is leaking air and your air isnt making its way to the rear controls

wcuhillbilly

A quiet hiss from the clutch lever at the rear when you move it.
Ok, that is normal, if the clutch can is working, the truck clutch will be on the floor when you activate the rear air lever (johnny bar, its a johnson bar from a semi tractor) if your air leak is heard after you activate the johnny bar, then you have a leak in the copper tube and or the can

red

Started the day by getting the fuel system working on the driver side tank. Then washed out the cab and some of the front side to get most of the dirt off.

Crawled underneath to look at the crane PTO and found this on the underside of the crane

uploadfromtaptalk1442694040100.jpg