• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Rescued" M816 Wrecker

wcuhillbilly

Started the day by getting the fuel system working on the driver side tank. Then washed out the cab and some of the front side to get most of the dirt off.

Crawled underneath to look at the crane PTO and found this on the underside of the crane

View attachment 582246

Houston,,,,, I think we have a Problem............ Hopefully this is the extent of your crane not working,,,, Is a carrier bearing wiped out allowing the shaft to fall out?????

red

No carrier bearing on that shaft. There is a bolt that threads into the shaft from the backside of that bearing, looks like it loosened till it fell out and let the shaft fall out of the bearing splines.

The bearing needs to be replaced or rebuilt but so far the rest of the crane system looks good.

uploadfromtaptalk1442700977449.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1442700992913.jpg

Valence and I have a gentleman's agreement with the wrecker. He owns it, but I'll be buying it.

phil2968

Has discussed on Facebook. That is a CV joint. Looks a lot like a Volkswagen joint (speculation on my part). It needs to be full of grease. Should be a boot that holds in the grease.

red

Ok, that is normal, if the clutch can is working, the truck clutch will be on the floor when you activate the rear air lever (johnny bar, its a johnson bar from a semi tractor) if your air leak is heard after you activate the johnny bar, then you have a leak in the copper tube and or the can
Checked out the air system as well. The truck compressor won't get over roughly 80psi. So turned the truck off and connected the house air compressor and raised it up to 110psi.

The clutch lever is working, but not moving the clutch enough to disengage it. Maybe 1/3rd-1/2 the clutch movement as stepping on the pedal.

Next task is swapping out the busted CV joint on the crane PTO shaft, testing the crane, and possibly using it for the engine swap in my deuce.

wcuhillbilly

Checked out the air system as well. The truck compressor won't get over roughly 80psi. So turned the truck off and connected the house air compressor and raised it up to 110psi.

The clutch lever is working, but not moving the clutch enough to disengage it. Maybe 1/3rd-1/2 the clutch movement as stepping on the pedal.

Next task is swapping out the busted CV joint on the crane PTO shaft, testing the crane, and possibly using it for the engine swap in my deuce.

Hmmm,,, 80 psi,,,, Mine usually actuates fine at 80-90psi,,, my blowoff hits at 90 on the gauge... Double check the adjustable rod for the air can actuator. There is a stop bolt that is adjustable on or near the bell housing, this could be holding it off.

red

Installed the replacement PTO shaft between the power divider and the crane yesterday and drained the old oil from the reservoirs at the ends of the shaft. Need to pick up a 90 degree fitting for the hose to pump the new oil in there and a grease gun before the crane is tested.

With the deuce awaiting a replacement engine sitting right behind the wrecker it doesn't have to drive anywhere yet haha.

uploadfromtaptalk1443978030519.jpg

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just paste the YouTube video URL, SteelSoldiers website auto embeds it so you don't need to paste the HTML embedded link.

Oh, never mind. It is working.

Last edited:

red

Still needs lots of attention, getting the truck running and the crane operating were priority. Runs happily with either the crane or rear winch engaged, which is perfect for now.

Repairs required:
Rear clutch control
PTO for front winch
Cable for front winch
Everything greased
All other fluids and filters changed
Tires
Brakes inspected
Leaky hard top
Seat for crane
Rigging gear

Besides the tires most of what is needed is just time consuming.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely the top priority things.

But also:

New engine belts
All axle seals replaced
Front axle boots
put on replacement hood hold down latch
I'd still recommend rebuilding all brake wheel cylinders (rubber + honing)
Install peashooter new flexible brake lines (already have in hand)
All torque rod (dog bone) ends replaced

The torque rod ends are probably expensive item #2 after tires.

Lower priority and as red sees fit:
Window regulators greased/cleaned
Driver's door handle looseness
Rear service glad hand leak
Paint (And general mud cleaning continues)
Broken left rear marker light
fuel tank cap gaskets
ensure operation from passenger fuel tank
Driver's side front leaf spring rubber bump stop (missing)
Slave cable port battery cables (cut/missing)
Probably replace cloudy west coast mirrors

Last edited:

MtnSnow

Gotcha... Well I have a spool (that I had gotten from Gunzy) that I might be willing to part with if needed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks