• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reviving a multifuel

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
A long long time ago, I bought a multifuel motor from a bud. Since I have owned it, I sold the IP off it along with other parts. Now another bud has a deadlined truck. A couple years ago I installed an LDT IP on this motor to see if it would run - just out of curiosity. Today I put that motor back together to see if I could help out Nathan. The IP I put on today was an LDS IP that came to me out of the box, but supposedly new as it had all its ports plugged. After some time, I was ready to try it out. I started with the "motor shutoff" lever pulled out so the motor would get some oil pumped through her. Then I released the lever to let her start up. Slowly, it chugged to life and for some reason, it seemed to want to run away.

Yes I checked the fuel shutoff lever under the cap to make sure it was free.

I also noticed that I hadn't tightened some of the injector lines in their injectors and some of the return lines were leaking. After I tightened everything up and grabbed "soldier B" I fired it up again. We confirmed it was wanting to run away, but was controllable using the fuel shutoff lever.

It was dark and a long day, so I called it. Tomorrow or Sat I will be pulling the fuel shutoff rod to make sure it is seated correctly in the fuel block cutout. What else should I check while tinkering? Someone mentioned it might be timed too far advance.

This is an LD motor originally, and I installed the IP to be timed with the LDS timing mark. Should I try to set it back to the LD timing mark? The motor does not have a turbo on it now, but will get a turbo before it gets installed in the truck.

Anything else?

rustystud

This is an interesting one gimpyrobb. Knowing that there was 3 different cams used in these engines, you might just have to play with it awhile. Try out the different timing marks and see what happens.

acesneights1

I cant see timing causing a runaway. If it's not sucking it's own oil (not likely without a turbo) look closely at the operation of the metering sleeve. Ask me how I know...it cost me a piston.
Someone here had suggested the flame heater also.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get with Amgeneral. Brandon had to fix one of Adams better ideas, when Adam was trying to fix bigugh20's deuce.

rustystud

I cant see timing causing a runaway. If it's not sucking it's own oil (not likely without a turbo) look closely at the operation of the metering sleeve. Ask me how I know...it cost me a piston.
Someone here had suggested the flame heater also.
Not so much as a run away, but an extremely fast idle ! Like what happens when you over time a gas engine, the rpms go way up and you can't get it to idle down without killing the engine.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy, I hope you put a return spring on the IP's accelerator lever, before starting it? Without it, some engines will run wide open!
That happened to me the first time I ever started a new (rebuilt) Multifuel, still in the crate.

G.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need to write a new book. "Groundhopping for Dummies". Jeff, I was going to ask about your recently obtained nickname.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Jeff, I was going to ask about your recently obtained nickname.
Its not new Admiral, its been around for a while. He just told me how much he didn't like it about a year ago, so now it has gained popularity.

On a side note, G was right on the money. I looked at a few other motors on the "Crusher" compound. I watched the fuel block levers move as I moved the throttle arm. They didn't all move the same, but close enough for me. A spring was installed and the motor was started again. No run-away issues. There are pics and a video that were taken by another member, maybe they will post them up for us.

Nathan, it looks like your good to go. Let me know what you want to do to get the motor in your truck.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Are you talking about "DJ Junk Master Jeff and the Funky Bunch" loved the 2nd CD "Winey Buoy"

eagle4g63

Thanks for getting the motor set to go for me Gimpy.....I am trying to figure out what weekend I can make it back out there, was going to make it this next weekend but that is just not going to happen....way too much stuff to get done to get out there.....I am looking at the next weekend, just gotta find someone who is near me to be with my wife while gone, you know what I am talking about(gonna leave it at that).

I'll PM you when I can get a better idea.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy soldering job....

Glad to hear you guys are getting his truck back on the road. Getting to hang out with Cheney while doing it should be a plus.

XchaosX

Yeah, without the throttle return spring the engine will take right off. Found that out the first time I started up my wrecked truck. I had removed the busted steering box from my truck and that is where the spring attaches to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks