• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Richmond, VA pickup, 90 mile trip

Looking for a better rate than the one I was quoted by GL recommended shipper. Truck is in Richmond, needs delivered to Hampton, VA (approximately 90 miles south on I-64 East). Time frame should be the end of October, assuming 45 days before I get my EUC back from BC.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What kind of truck? Does it run? Does it have brakes? There are several of us that live/work in the Richmond area that may be able to help you out.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
45 days for EUC?? I must be spoiled, usually only takes a week. Any way I will be up there about Oct. 12th, if your paperwork comes through. Also need to know what kind of truck, running, etc??

jhooah

Go down to the War Memorial museum this weekend (By the Jame River Bridge) look up Lee Barlow and ask him about someone, he should be near my Tan Deuce. You'll also find about 5-10 Deuce and 5T owners there Sat and Sunday 26-27 Sep.
I'd be glad to tow you home with the tow bar, but I won't be back till the end of Oct.
One of the local guys at the show (and member of VMPA...OpenDNS) has a working M816 wrecker (Jeff?) and the VMPA just picked up a M543A3, but I have to redo most everything before she's road worthy.
Look around for Lee at the show. No admission, several Mil vehicles from all periods.

V/R LTC W. Winget
Kandahar, Afghanistan
Headed back to Ol' Virginy end of Oct.
http://www.vmpa.us

Chris - The truck is a deuce, not sure of running condition. GL auction says is has a broken rear suspension link. I'm pretty confident I can change that out rather quickly. Brakes I'm not sure of, that's why I'm looking to tow/haul it home. This is my first truck, so I'm somewhat leery about taking it straight on the road.

Divemaster - thanks for the offer, I knew the guys on this site were helpful, but your offer really moved me (snicker, snicker)

pctrans - since this is my first GL purchase, I've been told by more than a couple of people to not expect quick results, so I've lowered my expectations evern more.

jhooah - I did stop by the war museum this morning. I saw a tan deuce w/ SGT Winget in the driver's front window, and got some good pictures of the rear suspension. Didn't have a chance to talk to the driver, other than "good morning" because I was talking to another guy about his 818 (extra long bed, tall bows, man that thing is tall!). Hope to meet you after you get back next month. Be safe.

peecock - thanks for the offer, I will definitely keep you in mind.

this is a great site, thanks for all the stuff I've learned already, and for the stuff I plan to learn in the future. Donation made!

peecook

i'm going to the Richmond DRMO on Tuesday morning for a trailer pickup. If you PM me your trucks lot number, I'll take my camera and take extra pics for you.

Just an update. I got some emails from some co-workers in Richmond, offering contact info for hauling my deuce back. Responded but haven't heard anything for over a week. Talked today to a man my brother-in-law knows, who definitely has the equipment, but want to charge me $105/hr to get my truck home. His breakdown works out like this:
1. Drive from his shop to where he keeps his Landoll in his own vehicle.
2. Drive to Richmond
3. Load my deuce (1 hour)
4. Drive 90 miles (2 hours)
5. Unload my deuce(1 hour
6. Drop off his Landoll
7. Drive back to his shop

At least 6 hours. All @ $105/hour.
So, am I being realistic expecting to get my tru'ck home for about $300, or have the 2 quotes I've gotten, both about $650, the actual going rate. I've heard the going rate is about $3/loaded mile, with the price of fuel having gone up. If it's going to cost me that much, all right, but I hate getting ripped off.
Still gonna keep looking until my paperwork clears. Wish me luck.

gunboy1656

Well I will say, when I had my truck delivered it was off the trailer in under an hour...and that was including building a dirt mound to drive off of it. So to load and unload should take no more then an hour total. Most should come to around $2 a mile. (well last time I checked)

The other truck i had delivered the company had a $270 minimum charge. So I had to factor that in.

Carl_in_NH

Seems high; I've paid $2 a loaded mile door-to-door with a ramp equiped trailer for an M35A2 - and I though that was pretty spendy.

Edit: and that was last week, too - so it's a current price.

Just an update, found a man who hauls vehicles a lot, w/ a 14K flatbed and a big dually to pull it/stop it with. While my deuce will be pushing the limit on his trailer, he is confident he will have no issues with it. Now just waiting on my EUC. Come on, BC, get off the dime!

Boatnik

This is the job that got me interested in SS. I have been a memeber of Diesel Truck Resource for some time now and enjoy everything mechanical. My avatar is a picture of my introduction to SS. We had a fun time and a few challenges loading a "dead" truck with a stuck park brake onto the gooseneck but the delivery went well.

Job complete;-)

onegmjack

Not trying to high jack thread.I have a pickup at Richmond.Can someone tell me where I need to go if you follow GL directions you end at southwest corner.Then says to enter back entrance (north side of base) looking on map you could drive quit a while trying to find the right entrance.

peecook

you want to take Chippenham Pkwy, get off at the Strathmore Rd exit. Follow the green signs to DGSC. Right before the gate you'll need to go to the parking lot on the right and checkin. They'll give you directions to the GL lot.

doghouse477

Looking for a better rate than the one I was quoted by GL recommended shipper. Truck is in Richmond, needs delivered to Hampton, VA (approximately 90 miles south on I-64 East). Time frame should be the end of October, assuming 45 days before I get my EUC back from BC.
i can do this let me know when you get euc