• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Right and wrong way to start a deuce

Flyingvan911

gee U think they would come with them :)
My deuce had two in it. One in a binder by itself and one in a binder with the lube order, MKT tech manual and several pages copied from the lube order that were laminated.

I want to get a spin off kit for mine. And the oil is very messy no matter what you do. It will find a way to make you dirty.

stumps

Chuck,

To answer your question about the pump I have to say I do not know. The engine is a Hercules (not that it matters) and was rebuilt in 1993. I do know from an unfortunate experience that it will dump 5 gallons of oil on the floor in about 15 seconds or so through an incorrect oil filter gasket/oil can incompatability......... I run 20 quarts of 15w-40 and 2 quarts of Lucas just to give you info of what's in there.

That being said I'm not interested in the spin on upgrade. My grandfather's tractor has the exact same filter set up on it on the original engine from 1952 with over 21,000 hours on it and its still running. We never had a failure on it due to the filter set up.
Hi Dan,

Probably the only way you would know what pump you had is if you installed it. It was a long shot, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Oil lubrication has gone through quite an evolution since the first engines. The early pressure lubricated tractor engines had no filters at all. When oil filters did finally come onto the scene, they were the cartridge style Fram filters, and they were not full flow. That is to say they were not between the pump and the oil galleys. They were connected to a tap off of the end of one of the main galleys, and the oil passed through the filter and went back into the sump. The purpose of the filter was to "polish" the oil that was in the sump. My 1952 Ferguson is that way, as was my Dad's '51 Ford 8N. I don't believe there ever was a tractor that ran those old Fram cartridge filters full flow.... certainly not in the 1950's.

The other major difference is most applications that use the Fram style cartridge filters full flow mount the filter bowl down so that it won't drain back into the sump when the engine is off. The only exception that I know of to that rule is the deuce. I read somewhere that Hercules/White/Oliver, the group that made the engine, recommended against the Army mounting the filters upside down the way they did in the deuce.

-Chuck

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
65 posts on a how to start a deuce thread, amazing, simply amazing.

RTFM

can someone tell us how to shut it off now?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RTFM
Just let it idle chocked in neutral with the parking brake on. It will shut off when the diesel runs out.:roll:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, just simply direct them to the Manuals, and tell them to report back with any questions after reading it.

Obviously a polite and helpful explanation of how to use the TMs would help also.

edit, my RTFM comment was not directed at the OP, or anyone in particular.

It simply amazes me that everyone does not see the value of the TMs and offer that to every new person to the hobby.

Last edited:

rlwm211

Chill Out Man!!!!

No, just simply direct them to the Manuals, and tell them to report back with any questions after reading it.

Obviously a polite and helpful explanation of how to use the TMs would help also.

It simply amazes me that everyone does not see the value of the TMs and offer that to every new person to the hobby.

DH...I believe I was pretty clear on what PS article to read and the discussion continued when questions arose from the OP about that article. (I even provided a link to the download)

I think you might be a bit hypercritical here and to be honest it is winter time and what else is there to do but sit around hashing over our opinions about differnt things.

It is not as if there is a bitter debate about political issues going on which would make this discussion look tame I am sure,

Again, DH, relax, stoke the fire in the woodstove and just keep reminding yourself that winter is almost over!!!!!

:wink:

RL

Last edited:

emr

RTFM

WELL! Thats why invoked the possum rule so eloquently used here many times...:) it takes a possum to start a deuce, kinda like a village , but a deuce. :) 65 posts on this :lol:, funny thing is that may not be the record, on asking questions with out even a hint of reading first, :) just sayin good luck to all, :lol:

stumps

OK, that would be the manuals section that we no longer can access, I guess...

If helping new guys, and answering sometimes simple questions, isn't a valid part of your vision of the SS mission, I have to wonder what you are saving this site for?

Yes, the TM's are a treasure trove of information, and yes just about everything you could possibly want to know is in them... but even back in the good old days when the manuals were available on this site, they were not readily searchable.... useful information that is poorly cataloged, and hidden in the massive amount of information available might just as well not exist.

Also, it can't possibly have escaped your notice that not everyone here on SS is a power reader. Nor is everyone here a capable researcher. Some of the guys are making a real stretch just participating in a written forum. Give them a break. If you don't want to answer their questions, let me. I'm always happy to help.

-Chuck

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As usual, you missed the whole point of my(or others) posts and went off debating/disagreeing with each point of the comment(senselessly).

The OP's question was 100% answered within the first 5 posts. No need for any other discussion by the OP or others.

SS is not the only place in the world to get FREE copies of the TMs, they can also be purchased (many places) as well.

Here in America, I am pretty sure our educational system does a pretty good job of teaching literacy and reading comprehension to every student by about 5th grade. If you cant read the TMs, then you could ask someone to read them to you.

Just because I am a Moderator, does not mean every post I make is going to be Prophetic, I have opinions and can share them also. Every comment I make does not have to reflect the sites "vision or goals".

FWIW, I was told to RTFM when I started out, and I am darn glad that's what I was told. I learned how to use the TMs, and I am better off for it. When I hear RTFM, I don't read it as inflammatory or derogatory, it's an educational eye opening statement.

stumps

As usual, you missed the whole point of my(or others) posts and went off debating/disagreeing with each point of the comment(senselessly).

The OP's question was 100% answered within the first 5 posts. No need for any other discussion by the OP or others.
Yes, I'm an awful person. I respond to what you say, not to what you think.

This is an old thread. It piddled out and died back in November, before DeuceDad found it and added this question:
Ok guys, I need a sanity check here. I have read the TM, the little operator manual cartoons and this thread and I have seen a lot of input that does not exactly line up with the published guides. Here is how I start my deuce:
1. Be sure stop switch is pushed in
2. Switch over the accessory switch, let it buzz for about 20 to 30 sec.
3. Push starter switch (but never for more than 5 to 10 sec., never pushing any pedal in and never pulling out any throttle cable)
4. After I do this about three to four times she will fire up (at this point I give her a little pedal to get her juices flowing, then I let her idle until she reaches 120 degrees and air pressure has built up, then I move out. She normally idles at 700 rpms)

After driving her, I always let her idle for 5 minutes to allow the turbo to cool before shutting her down and draining the air out of the tanks.

Am I missing something here? Should I be giving her some pedal while attempting to start her? The operator's manual says not to, to avoid creating a hydrostatic condition of access fuel in the cylinders. I let her buzz a little before pushing the start button, thinking this provides the fuel pump time to get the fuel moving through the system, am I wrong in doing this? She is parked on a slight incline with the engine uphill, maybe this causes the fuel to drain back into the system a little and that is why she does not fire up right away, but I don't think this is an issue. If it is not damaging I can try to give her a little pedal next time to see if she fires up faster.

Thanks.

DeuceDad
Sounds to me like he RTFM'd and found an inconsistency that bothered him, between a TM, and a PS magazine article, so he searched for a thread that discussed the issue, and posted his question. Exactly the technique that you say you prefer.

Because every participant in the original thread was subscribed, we got notice that the thread was active again, and responded. Some helpfully, and some not so much. He committed the sin of wanting to talk his way through a basic subject.

On seeing an old thread that devolved once before restarted, the alarms went off in the Doghead Volunteer Moderator Department. You tossed on your moderator hat, and selected a charming mix of ridicule, vulgarity, and incredulousness , and hosed everyone down once again in hopes of snuffing out the embers..

Sigh!

-Chuck

3rdmdqm

LOL.....this is a funny thread. "can someone tell us how to shut it off now?" I know how to shut it off, just exit out of the thread. :wink: I don't see what all of the fuss is about in asking any question, even if it is in the TM. I enjoy the questions, they stimulate conversation, thought and new ideas. Sometimes after reading the TM's, someone comes up with a short cut that sounds good, and in some cases is not so good, but makes you think about how things are done. I guess I haven't been reading long enough to get frustrated with some of the questions and/or resposnes as others seem to. I do enjoy all of the responses though, they keep me coming back for more. Sometimes you all just crack me up. :p

stumps

:ditto:

But I have to ask "what is PS magazine article"?

Thanks!!
During the Vietnam War (I think) the Army noticed that the kids they were drafting didn't respond very well to the usual TM style of manual. Capitalizing on the comic book fad, they started publishing comic books that delved into all sorts of subjects that were important to the training, and lives of the soldiers. PS magazine is one such magazine that was aimed at the 18 YO's that inhabited the motor pool, and maintenance depots. The usual characters in PS magazine were gruff, but well seasoned Sargent types, dippy, ditsy mess-up privates, and a bevy of well endowed women that knew all the answers, and were willing to get dirty and greasy while demonstrating technique.

-Chuck

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
During the Vietnam War (I think) the Army noticed that the kids they were drafting didn't respond very well to the usual TM style of manual. Capitalizing on the comic book fad, they started publishing comic books that delved into all sorts of subjects that were important to the training, and lives of the soldiers. PS magazine is one such magazine that was aimed at the 18 YO's that inhabited the motor pool, and maintenance depots. The usual characters in PS magazine were gruff, but well seasoned Sargent types, dippy, ditsy mess-up privates, and a bevy of well endowed women that knew all the answers, and were willing to get dirty and greasy while demonstrating technique.

-Chuck

Stumps, Thanks!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks