• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

road ranger 10 speed to multifuel?

spicergear

Some of the holes match up to an SAE bell pattern where others or moved. The driver's side expecially for the winch driveshaft. Typical things, input length, pilot bearing size, clutch size, T/O issues, etc. you may be able to adapt it to the transmission size and not have to worry about that part anyway.

What's the gain? Tighter gearing? Taller OD? Just wondering.

1qwkgoat

From the little bit I have read up on the road ranger I don't think the OD is even as good as the Deuce's stock trans. I however could be wrong. So unless you are doing a lower ratio gear swap in the axles, I don't see it being worth it

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Closer gear spacings would help a lot over the stock 5 speed. The 3053 has a big jump between 3rd and 4th which really hurts when loaded. I've got a 10 speed and have thought about the swap but it's going to be quite a chore to get it in there so I don't know if it's worth the trouble. Not only do you have to mate it to the engine you also have to fit it between the engine and t-case. I'm pretty sure the t-case will have to be moved back which adds to the work involved.

DieselBob

I have often thought that a Mack quadraplex would be real nice. Very close ratio 250~300 RPM between gears, no air requirement like the RR and 20 different gear choices.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have often thought that a Mack quadraplex would be real nice. Very close ratio 250~300 RPM between gears, no air requirement like the RR and 20 different gear choices.
If you have enough hands :-D. I like driving the old Macks though. It takes some practice to shift the range stick, shift the gear shift, and hold her in the road all at the same time.

DieselBob

m16ty,
Always thought a guy should hang a chalk board on the dash to keep score when driving old Mack trucks.
Mark

There was more than one time when I first started driving old "B" and"DM's" I got double nothing (neutral, neutral) :roll: That's when the fun starts. You could really use that 3rd hand about then.

res0wc18

The ones i have access to have a .74 overdrive and they have better/tighter spacing, and it would make a deuce really fly.

The air is super simple to hookup. Its simply a positive pressure one way toggle switch and when its not toggled it bleeds the air of allow the dogs to disengage giving you direct instead of over or whatever.

With the adapter plate that fits between the multi and 3053 could we get a road ranger with a number 3 and it would bolt up then?

Mark2X2

There was more than one time when I first started driving old "B" and"DM's" I got double nothing (neutral, neutral) :roll: That's when the fun starts. You could really use that 3rd hand about then.
Bob,
I guess I really don't miss the good old days of trucking, under powered engines, lots of gears, no suspension. Kind of nice to hit high gear, set the cruise, turn the a/c a little cooler and be able to hear the stereo! But I still like driving my Deuce!
Mark
M35A2 Deuce
M105A2 Trailer
M101A1 Trailer
3) Rokons

DieselBob

Mark

I know exactly what you mean. There was a very good reason I never owned a car or pickup with a manual trans. Spending 10 ~ 14 hours a day in one of these the last thing I wanted see when I got in my pickup was manual gear shift. Although I will say I did enjoy the time and experience.

nhdiesel

Thats the kind of shifting that would be fun for a little while, then get OLD very quick! I have an aux. 3-speed (OD, direct, and UD) that I've wanted to put into something. Last thought was in my converted bread truck/camper/Jeep hauler behind my 5.9 Cummins. I wouldn't use it to split gears very often, mostly just for the extra OD.

By the way, have you guys ever used your t-case to plit the gears in a Deuce? I watch Beaubeau do it, and I'll learn the pattern when I get mine home. Came in handy when I was using his truck to pull an 18k lb. excavator up a hill, taking off from a stop!

Jim

2Deuces wild

Hi Boys:-D I did a lot of reserch and the closest thing I found that would work is a 7 speed splicer.
The Road ranger is to long, the out put shaft won't line up with the transfer case and its way fatter. ;-)

Hammer

By the way, have you guys ever used your t-case to plit the gears in a Deuce? I watch Beaubeau do it, and I'll learn the pattern when I get mine home. Came in handy when I was using his truck to pull an 18k lb. excavator up a hill, taking off from a stop!

Jim
All the time, use low range, shift from 1st to 5th, then shift the transfer into high range and downshift into 4th gear again. 5th gear low is just a little bit higher then 3rd gear high. But by the time you shift the transfercase and the transmission, it comes out about equal for the 3-4 split.

jwaller

All the time, use low range, shift from 1st to 5th, then shift the transfer into high range and downshift into 4th gear again. 5th gear low is just a little bit higher then 3rd gear high. But by the time you shift the transfercase and the transmission, it comes out about equal for the 3-4 split.
I do the same thing all the time. esp anytime I'm hauling more than a few thousand lbs.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sorry - had a you tube link showing the shifting of the B - hope it shows
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-aDqAWkZHQ[/media]

If that was a military truck, how big do you think the data tag showing the shift pattern would be? I'm guessing 1/2 sheet of plywood.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks