• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

road ranger 10 speed to multifuel?

skidder

HAY I was thinking about putting a 3 speed aux. behind the main (5speed) the 3 speed is out of an old Auto car or international ?? Might have to move the tranfer case back alittle skidder

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HAY I was thinking about putting a 3 speed aux. behind the main (5speed) the 3 speed is out of an old Auto car or international ?? Might have to move the tranfer case back alittle skidder
Have you thought about putting the aux. box behind the t-case. Would make fitting it a lot easier. The down side would be you'd have to have a air-shift t-case and make sure the box was in direct any time the front end is engaged.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quote: "If that was a military truck, how big do you think the data tag showing the shift pattern would be? I'm guessing 1/2 sheet of plywood.:grin: "

rofl:funny:

Also, there would be a two-part, one week mandatory operator course. Until completion of course 65-1990-23456 an operator would only be allowed to drive around in low range.

Last edited:

skidder

The 3 speed aux is behine the main trans. IT would only be in dir. an over would be used as such i don't see any problems other moving the transfer ase ?? my LDS should power it ok skidder

fasttruck

Putting a mack trq7220 in a military truck would tighten up the shift progression, but be advised the transmission is probably longer than the engine and would require seri0us relocation of other driveline components. I heard of an m123 that was done like that and it must run like the proverbial ape with double od gears.

res0wc18

im looking to keep the engine and transfer in the stock location. So my question is what can be put in its place to tighten up the pattern. Dueceswild mentioned the 7spd tranny but did not mention what the make or model was...

mudguppy

im looking to keep the engine and transfer in the stock location. So my question is what can be put in its place to tighten up the pattern. Dueceswild mentioned the 7spd tranny but did not mention what the make or model was...
i don't think you're going to find anything short enough to replace the 3053 series with more than 5 spds. and if you don't move the engine or transfer, i don't think you'll find anything, period.

if anyone has found a 6+ speed trans as short or shorter than the spicer, i'm all ears...

Brock Steel

This is what i found.

Specifications​
Torque Capacity ........................ ES52-7B - 520 lbs. ft. (704 nm)
ES56-7B - 560 lbs. ft. (758 nm)
ESO66-7B - 660 lbs. ft. (894 nm)
Ratio Coverage.......................... 10:1
Synchronized............................. Gears 2-7
Length .......................................35” (clutch housing mounting face to washer seat face)
Weight .......................................454 lbs. (206 kg)
Clutch Housing ..........................SAE No. 2
Clutch ........................................ 13” or 14” single or 2-plate push or pull
Input Shaft ................................. 1 3/4” - 10-spline or 1 1/2” - 10-spline
Lube Capacity ........................... 22 pints (10.4 liters)
Speedometer .............................Provision for mechanical and electronic
Power Take-Off .......................... 6-bolt right & left, countershaft rear
34 tooth 18° right-hand helix
17.50° pressure angle
PTO Speeds: .............................% of engine RPM ES52-7B, 48.8%
ES56-7B, 48.8%​
ES066-7B, 65.8

mudguppy

i measured about 25" from engine adapter face to trans output flange. the 3053 case itself is only about 16.5" long...

i looked at an RSO-6406A this morning - it's at about 24" long w/out the clutch housing, which is about 7" more. this may be the route i take when i put my 5.9 in. but i have to check width (mainly around the clutch linkage) and PTO clearancing to see if it will work.

res0wc18

i looked at an RSO-6406A this morning - it's at about 24" long w/out the clutch housing, which is about 7" more. this may be the route i take when i put my 5.9 in. but i have to check width (mainly around the clutch linkage) and PTO clearancing to see if it will work.
i cant find any information on this tranny?

spicergear

I split with the transfer case all the time...but only in lower gears. Usually with a moderate load I'll just split from starting in second low, to second high, then stay in high. Occassionally if the load is big or start off is steep, I'll start in first low, second low, then second high. It's nice and smooth and eliminates that crappy first to second high range shift.

res0wc18

looks like a nice tranny. Thats about the same length as the stock unit isnt it? Are the gear spreads alot better? Need a chart for the 3053a gear ratios. What about the bell housing etc going onto the mulitfuel?

mudguppy

it's going to be a good bit longer than the spicer, i believe - i need to measure again.

ratios:

Spicer 3053
1st: 5.90
2nd: 3.10
3rd: 1.70
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.85

FSO-6406
1st: 7.05
2nd: 4.13
3rd: 2.52
4th: 1.59
5th: 1.00
6th: 0.78

in my truck, i think the FSO would be ideal w/ the 16.00s - as it is, 1st gear is about perfect for starting out, if not on the tiniest hair of being too tall. and w/ the 4.13 2nd gear, i believe 2nd gear starts will be more of a possibility than w/ the 3053 that i have.

now, what i'm finding is that i can't find a good working order (take-out), if at all. the few available are all reman's for big money plus big money core cost.

also, these transmissions can be had in any of the SAE patterns, so if you are trying to fit it to a MF, the adapter won't be the problem - length will be.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks