• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road trip from south FL to NC and maybe Ohio and back to FL

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will try at first light. Can"t wait. Congrats and thanks Phil on another epic journey.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, at school with the kids. Left before first light but did use my headlight to have a looksee. Not as bad as everyone said.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will probably have to be tomorrow. I will let you know the second your trailer is ready.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear axle is off already. Need to fetch my car trailer in the AM to drop it on.
Selfie as requested.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm glad you guys lowered my expectations. It's exponentially better than described. Smiles of joy here.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least the wrecker will live out the rest of its days in a warmer climate.......

All three of them. ;-)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, thanks to Stonepicker1, SWBradley, Gimpyrobb and all those that I owe a tetanus shot to. The body arrived safe and sound and is not nearly as bad as it was described. I unofficially borrowed ChevyC60s M108A2 to offload the wrecker. The 61 year old truck made short order of the task for sure. The one thing I did notice though. When I was putting the truck back in it's niche, I had to back it up quite a ways. I sure don't much care for the armstrong steering anymore. My bad shoulder has been reminding me all day. I'm looking forward to getting the truck here that's getting the bed. Need to stretch the WB 4" and swap out rear axles so that I can start getting the bed ready for it's new home.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I was wondering about that. I can honestly say I've never seen leaf springs in quite so bad of shape! So your not planning on using them?

;)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will use the overload pack and its spacer. The rest of the springs go to scrap. I see why the guy scrapped the truck. The frame rail on the right side behind the front spring hangar is cracked all the way through. The overload pads from the old frame will be repurposed as well.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Once you start working on it, please post up some pics. I'm sure it will entertain a lot of folks. On the other hand, once you get it assembled and working, it should make for one heck of a useful truck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks