• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road trip to Alaska

So what do you think of Ferro's Trip?

• I'll convoy with you!

Votes: 34 15.6%
  • Stop by and have a beer when you pass through

Votes: 64 29.4%
  • Good Luck

Votes: 91 41.7%
  • Don't do it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ferro's lost his #@%^* mind

Votes: 29 13.3%

• Total voters
hi id love the trip. take an extra front window that whole road system eats windows.same trip my wife and i are planing in 4 years freedome 55 i hope good luck and take 6 weeks of and bring a fishing rod im taking my canoe on top and pulling a little ranger behind going in a deuce only 9000 miles round trip from here .wont be totaly stock puting in air ride seats from a kenworth :-D

Russ344

Hello, new guy here. There is a great website called billcaid.com. This guy and his wife drove their Unimog from San Diego to Alaska and recorded it all with some great pictures. Tons of usefull information for anyone wanting to do a trip like this. Hope it helps and good luck!

tm america

how you looking on this trip you can crash by ,my place or use my shop if you need to maybe i'll convoy with for a little bit .sounds fun.thats alot of driving you are going to need to do as much as possible to fight fatigue . power steering , better seats, mufflers and insultaion will help out greatly .i would probably put synthetic oil in everything it will save on fuel and wear and tear on things to

willey10

My 1950 M38, was driven from Fairbanks Alaska to Harrington Maine in 1980. It used or should I say it ate , 8 tires,(probably 30 year old tires also) 2 belts ,water pump, and a tie rod end.He took about 20 days to make the trip, about 200+ miles a day he tried for.With his Wife following in a pickup with slide in camper. Maybe someday it could make the transcontinental trip!!
Just thought I would share that.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
how you looking on this trip you can crash by ,my place or use my shop if you need to maybe i'll convoy with for a little bit .sounds fun.thats alot of driving you are going to need to do as much as possible to fight fatigue . power steering , better seats, mufflers and insultaion will help out greatly .i would probably put synthetic oil in everything it will save on fuel and wear and tear on things to

If he comes up this direction Adam is more than welcome to crash here as well. My shop isn't as extensive but I should be able to help some way if needed.

I was hoping to see a route plan. :)

sw

DocAdams

Hey sounds like a great trip! I can't help but suggesting you move your start date to late July, as the weather will start to change in September. Either way enjoy your trip. NO hand guns allowed in Canada!!!!!!!!!

roscoe

Hello, new guy here. There is a great website called billcaid.com. This guy and his wife drove their Unimog from San Diego to Alaska and recorded it all with some great pictures. Tons of usefull information for anyone wanting to do a trip like this. Hope it helps and good luck!
Wow. I just checked out that trip. Definately worth reading with lots of very good photos. Highly recomended. Thanks for posting that Russ344.:-D

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro, that is a really loooong road trip.. I hope you got a good seat in that truck. Since I am on a road trip the realities of the M35 box seat have made themselves known again.

I have not read the whole thread due to time the last few days so excuse me if I said the same things as others.

I am glad you are going along with your father, that is a special and good thing to experience. What about going through Canada on the way? no issues with the MV I hope. Please take lots of pictures and post them, it is a really monumental trip and I hope it goes well. My only advice would be to take every tool that fits either vehicle, and don't forget some electrical tools too like a multimeter, tape, crimp connectors, and a few customary technicians tools. Also some simple plumbing tools.

BTW I discovered an M35 heater is not very effective at 55MPH and 22 degrees F. due to drafts in the cab.

If others want to convoy along, more the better in case of any trouble.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Veggie oil is great, but use it smartly, for example, you don't want it in the system in the morning when it's below 60 degrees. My dual compartment fuel tank worked great with one heated and I'll post more as your plans come together based on my own 6,000 mile trip.

When selecting tires, think wet pavement, OPCOM (Patrick) has a good setup for the highway.

Of all mods, way up there should be a clean and reliable fuel system, reliable as in the correct valves and filters for the job and a totally rustfree tank.

More later.
I put semi tractor steer tires on the front. Note they are radials and that violates the mixing radials and bias ply rules.. I would have preferred bias ply but the radials were avail. inexpensively. Such tires can cost $300 each new anyway. The steering is improved over the NDTs.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks OPCOM,

It looks like Neil Hendrix has volunteered (been suckered?) into being my 'copilot'.

Work on Bella is progressing, as I have located as source of brand new 11r20 street tires for a good price. Blasting and painting the rims now, and will be installing the new tires as soon as the tubes show up.

I've also replaced the brake light switch, and am going to purchase a new front wiring harness, as the one I have is starting to fall apart. I don't want to be chasing electrical gremlins in bad weather on the side of the road.

I've also begun to mount the second tank in the spare location. I am looking at several options for mounting it elsewhere. I still haven't decided weither to take a m105 for more room or not. I just keep debating on if the drop in MPG would be worth the extra storage space. (mostly for drums of fuel)

Also looking for a LDS to put in the truck- complete or not. I would almost rather have one that needs rebuild or is in pieces- That way I can go through it and make sure it is right.

Thanks for all the offers to hang out when I (we) roll through. And all the advice. This trip is still on!

DanMartin

Having been down the Alcan myself...let me suggest that everyone bring as many spare tires as you can. Those roads eat tires. There's miles-n-miles of (good) gravel road...but they use crushed gravel that contains a lot of obsidian...very sharp and they can work their way into your tires. We had 3 flats on the way down from AK to WA...two on our trailer, and one on the vehicle. Also...remember, you are *really* alone out there in some places, so make sure you bring everything you need including stuff to spend the night on the side of the road if needed.

One thing...the Canadians are wonderful people, and we had no problem getting help when we needed it, the trick is finding one! :)

A beautiful trip guys...take lots of pics and enjoy the ride. You will remember it the rest of your life.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you chosen a route to take you through Canada yet?

If you are still mapping then have a look through central Alberta. It's a B-line from Calgary to Edmonton on a 2 and 3 lane hi-way with some support along the way. It's flat and straight with a mountain view to the west and dinosaurs to the east,

I have an account at a great bulk diesel station and if you make it through to Edmonton.......I will through a grand worth of fuel at the convoy........Yes sir, you have a Canadian supporter and a sponsor. It would be great to meet you and an honor being part of an American MV convoy.

We would meet you somewhere north of the border and Convoy with you through Alberta.

I have a small shop in Edmonton with light, medium and Heavy duty mechanics in the next four bays.

STP....Specialty Truck Products and Caddy Auto Service support my tiny fleet.

We also have a little land with camping potential, if you're roughing it, and if not maybe I can help with coordinating, hotels, truck stops or RV parks.

Let me know when you've confirmed routes and times and wherever you end up.....we'll see if we can "get behind you eh".

SlowJoe

Sounds like a great trip. I will be following this thread with great interest. Be sure to take lots of pics along the way. You should start a photo bucket account so you can load them up and post your progress along the way so we can all enjoy your trip with you! Good luck!!!

Stout

Hi, FNG here.

I did a similar trip from Atlanta, GA to as far up as the Yukon River on the Dalton Highway (~130 miles North of Fairbanks) and then down to Homer before turning back towards the Alcan Highway.

I did it in 3 weeks, not sure I'd want to try it that quick in a deuce and a half - I did the trip in a little econobox and taking advantage of 70-80mph speeds on open highways. Took two spare tires and a whole kit of tools but surprisingly never needed any of it. Alcan Highway is 100% paved in theory, but you'll find large segments that've been chipped up or pavement removed in preparation for repaving. Plus loose gravel all over, and those frost heaves... ugh! Not good for the car when one sneaks up on you at 60mph.

Enjoy, I didn't quite make it all the way up to Prudhoe Bay, that'll be for the next trip.

Maybe I'll have a M1008 or M1009 for the next trip instead of a Saturn. ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks