• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road trip to Alaska

So what do you think of Ferro's Trip?

• I'll convoy with you!

Votes: 34 15.6%
  • Stop by and have a beer when you pass through

Votes: 64 29.4%
  • Good Luck

Votes: 91 41.7%
  • Don't do it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ferro's lost his #@%^* mind

Votes: 29 13.3%

• Total voters

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a pretty sweet trip. I'm in Fairbanks, AK and I'd be happy to support your trip in any way I could. Is it still on? You wouldnt mind hauling up one of those M35A3's that are pouring out of the southern DRMO locations would ya? :grin:

ziggy

Wish I could go but can't we should try making this an annual trip. I won't be able to make it unless Wisconsin changes some of their laws about owning MV's.
But otherwise, good luck!

blybrook

Also in Fairbanks.

I've got a welder, torches & plenty of tools if'n you need a hand. Just give a buzz on your way through.

Should be a fun trip. As for the Dalton, the truckers utilize both the CB and VHF, monitor Channel 19 for most of the trip.

Can get you other frequencies if you've got a scanner in your rig to listen to their other conversations while enroute. Including most of the Alcan.

Bill

yetti96

Wow sounds like a great time. I would be down for something like this in a couple of years. Being in South FL we often get forgotten due to the length of time it takes to get inland (country wise). Heck 5-6 hours just to get out of the state in a car...I could not imagine how long in a Deuce. I will keep this one subscribed to and check it often to see how things turn out. Good luck!!!:grd:

blybrook

I finally had a chance to finish reading through the thread and what you intend to do. It should be a great trip, and I'll provide parking as you pass through if you need it; I'm about 10 miles outside of Fairbanks.

You will pass Eielson AFB just before you get to North Pole. If you are to drive to Anchorage as well, then you'll pass Elmendorf AFB. There is no stopping on the highway as it passes the runway at Eielson (unless it's an emergency & the SF WILL visit you shortly after you stop). You can get to the main gate without any problems. I do work with several people out there, so may be able to help get you base access as you pass through should you want to make a stop on the facility.

Unfortunately, the security on the North Slope will not permit you to drive your rig past the guard shack and put those tires in the Arctic Ocean like you'd like to. You can get on a bus and take a guided tour for a swim (they vary in capacity / availability). I doubt they'd allow you to carry one tire with you to get it wet :|

Most of the truckers will be nice as long as you are nice with them. I'll find one of the threads concerning haul road etiquette from one of the other forums and post a link (here it is:Haul road etiquette for newbies. - Alaska Outdoors Forums)

Current fuel prices in Fairbanks are $3.51 / gallon. With a good chance of it going up based on current discussions. After the Hilltop, the next fuel stop is Coldfoot, just shy of Atigun Pass. Then it's Prudoe / Deadhorse.

I highly recommend the Milepost as mentioned earlier. I used it when I drove from the UP of MI to AK for work in December '05. Most of the places where closed down, but the book helped! It's on the shelves here for around $20.

Best of luck on the journey & will send a shout out to ya as you pass through!

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro, I talked to my wife and she wants to go to Alaska again! She has been twice before, but this will be the first time for me. We won't be taking the Deuce. If we can convoy with our F350 and TT, we'll be there. Sounds like a fun trip.

Do you have a date of departure and a route decided on yet?

marcinsandpoint

To all the SS members i read a lot of stuff on here.. a lot is funny and good info as well, but this has got to be the best dam thing yet....
i got one word for you all........ Convoy....Convoy...... Convoy... make it big...:driver:

if you are passing thru north idaho you got a place to pit stop.

there is a lot of good fly fishing spots in Alaska as well...:razz:

marcinsandpoint

To all the SS members i read a lot of stuff on here.. a lot is funny and good info as well, but this has got to be the best dam thing yet....
i got one word for you all........ Convoy....Convoy...... Convoy... make it big...:driver:

if you are passing thru north idaho you got a place to pit stop.

there is a lot of good fly fishing spots in Alaska as well...:razz:

Hi Ferro! Just reminding you about your stop at our place in Montana. Looking forward to meeting you. If by chance you go down to Haines Junction we have friends who have a place there with lots of room. I'm watching their place here where we live and they will be happy to accomodate you there. They run the dogsled tours in Skagway and Juneau. They also operate the car tours in Skagway. Keep us informed and it looks like you have lots of nice offers. elk

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok all, I am having to reschedule my trip. I'm pushing it back one year, to leave the same time next year. I need to save up enough vacation time so I can take the whole month and a half needed, and still get paid for it. Also, there is just too much left to do on the truck.

I did finally get a set of radials (thanks Bkubu!) and am in the process of redoing brakes and such while I have each set of tires off. I also aparently need a transfer case, I've got a deal worked out for a gov rebuilt one. Lots of other little stuff that needs to be done.

I'm offering anyone who wants to follow me for any part of the trip is more than welcome! just remember, even with the 11r20s, I won't be going that fast.

Thanks to all who have offered me a place to park/spend the night/eat/drink/work on the truck. It will come in handy I'm sure, and am making a list so I can visit with as many SS guys as I can.

I'll keep working on the truck and updating the thread.

Kohburn

So far my route will have me going like this- SC, NC, TN, KY, IL, MO, IA, SD, WY, MT, ID, WA, then Canada, BC, Yukon, then back to AK.

This is 5,700 miles. If I go up to Canada and cross near Winnipeg, it is only 4,900. I may go up through the U.S., then come back through Canada if my time is looking short.
once you are ready and finalize your route, if you pass through MD on your way back via Canada then I'm sure there will be no shortage of offers for help

2nd Lt. Barter.L.B.

Hi
I hope to have a M35A3 with a M109 Box on it soon enough.:shock:
Or a very good M109a3 or XM820 made into camper.
I am Canadian and now American, was in the Canadian Army FOR-EVER and then joined the 40th here in Fresno California.
Anyway, if your still gonna go, you may have a Crazy Canuck on yer tail!:cookoo::driver::mrgreen:

When you plan on leaving for sure?:jumpin:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
July 2011, final date not set. Got most of the new tires on the deuce, should get the rest on soon. They are great tires and should last long after the trip is over.

Attachments

Thunder in NWOR

The same MVPA group that planned and implemented the 2009 TMC'09, Transcontenintal Motor Convoy (90th year
celebration of 1919 convoy) are planning a 70th year Alaska
Highway Convoy for the summer of 2012.

Formal info will be forthcoming at the MVPA Convention in Topeka in July.
Yee Hah!

Green_gator

Ferro,
The wheels and tires look good. Can you post or send some more photos of the set up. Maybe something from a bit further away as I am trying to get a feel for how the 109 looks with singles.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks