• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road trip to Alaska

So what do you think of Ferro's Trip?

• I'll convoy with you!

Votes: 34 15.6%
  • Stop by and have a beer when you pass through

Votes: 64 29.4%
  • Good Luck

Votes: 91 41.7%
  • Don't do it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ferro's lost his #@%^* mind

Votes: 29 13.3%

• Total voters

Stan Leschert

If you are going to do it in 2011, and will be coming near Vancouver, B.C., I'll be off for the month of July, and may be able to assist with routing on our side of the border.

Heck, I might even fire up the bike and tag-a-long for a bit.
Sorry, the M135 just is too expensive to take on long jaunts, so that portion of the convoy won't last too long.

I do know of a couple of Legions that serve icy cold pints, and if you are here on July 1,
I can guarantee a place of honor in our Canada Day Parade ( right near the front!) I'm on the board of directors.

As for camping, we have many campgrounds (some have an incredible view), and do remember that Wall-Mart is RV friendly. The don't care if you park overnight, as long as you are gone before the big bash of customers show up to lighten their wallets!

If you need details or help, just PM me.

Cheers, Stan.

Last edited:

tiny

Just a thought Ferro pull the trailer in the states and use all the fuel you can and what ever else you haul in the trailer then leave it somewhere on this side of the border at a SS 's place and maybe pick it up on the way back. If not coming back the same way sell it to someone and you will have extra funds for the trip.
Maybe a wood burning stove in the back part to sleep at night. Fire wood should be readily available about anywhere you stop to stay.

Right now I have all the time in the world to do what ever but no funds at all, been laid off for over 1 yr 5 months, looking for a job, say in office doing scheduling or something. Due to a bad hip or back and overweight LOL.

Tiny

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Branan,
Sounds good! The more the merrier. I would like to invite anyone who would like to convoy with us either all, part, or a fraction of the way, to do so.

I'm still waiting for the fellas at the Canadian Border Services Agency to respond to my question about bringing a trailer full of WVO through Canada to run on...

srodocker

any updates on the WMO thing?

so the other day i told my gf we have to start looking up cruises to Alaska for vacation next year. she said " arnt we taking your deuce up there with the steel soldier guys" mind you i said i would go up to the Canadian border then back down. i didnt argue and said oh yea i forgot. so we'll see how my work situation goes.

how many days are you looking at from wa state to alaska and back?

bratpackdad

Branan,
Sounds good! The more the merrier. I would like to invite anyone who would like to convoy with us either all, part, or a fraction of the way, to do so.

I'm still waiting for the fellas at the Canadian Border Services Agency to respond to my question about bringing a trailer full of WVO through Canada to run on...
I would think it's going to take more than a email to get that one sorted out. Where are you planning on crossing the border at? I think I want in for a part of this.

XanRa

depending on how soon this goes down...hec i might be coming too it depends on if and or when i get my m818.... or maybe even hmmwv, it all depends...

Scarecrow1

Well I have a plan are two for next year but nothing like you guys tho the offer to fall in does sound like a thing I could really get into ...The ties Ihave here are getting thinner all the time now that I'm going thru a divorce..... Hey mabe you can drop my soon to be Ex off in Alaska .....Nah That state dosen't deserve the headach either ........aua

srodocker

do you have any dates set for when your going to be in wa state heading up? starting next month were bidding for vacation time for next year. i'll have 2 weeks. but i may not be with this job next year but its good to have the time in

466Navastar

temporary satillite phone for emergency can be rented for about $200 a month-----may be a good insurance policy----take a look online for providers

some good firearms make being in the wilderness a lot more comfortable

all the other stuff the fellas said earlier

how about a Gear Vendors overdrive unit for the truck?......better fuel mileage/less noise and wear&tear

how about sound deadening mats on the floor/firewall and door panels

make/buy a liquid to liquid heat exchanger and use an insulated drum for the shower water..... use engine heat to warm water

get a survival manual and read it before you leave---prepare as per manual

some warm clothes - just in case

basic tools and any special tools/parts for the truck not likely to be generally found on the road

your US passport

a good credit card - with a BIG limit

would love to do this trip some day - not in a MV though--Im too old

Good Luck ----please write about the trip and take/post pics

Gods speed

466Navastar

dont take any hand guns - Canada wont let you keep them if you declare them at the border and will bury you if you smuggle them in and get caught in their country...

I suppose you could ship handguns to a FFL dealer in Alaska - from a FFL in your home town and vice versa on return....I dont believe Alaska requires a permit ---but better double check

oldMan99

I suppose you could ship handguns to a FFL dealer in Alaska - from a FFL in your home town and vice versa on return....I dont believe Alaska requires a permit ---but better double check
ATF regulations allow you to ship firearms to yourself as long at you are allowed to have that particular firearms in the location that you are shipping it to. No need at all to involve a FFL on either end of the deal.

Example: You live in Florida and for whatever reason you want your guns in Texas but you do not want to transport them yourself. Once in Texas you are allowed to own the gun there (Note I said own, not carry. Carry is a different issue that owning). Now if you wanted to try shipping a handgun to yourself in say… Chicago. No go. Not legal because for you to own, have or otherwise possess a handgun in Chicago is not legal, so your not allowed to ship it to yourself there. Same for many other jurisdictions that are restrictive on gun ownership.

You can properly package them, take them to the UPS office and ship them to YOURSELF in Texas. If you have an address (Say a friends house) they can legally be shipped there, but ONLY YOU can open the package (According to the law). You can also have the package held at the UPS office for you to pick up. You will need ID of course.

The point here is that you could leave home, drive to the Canadian border (In a jurisdiction your allowed to possess the weapon) and ship it to yourself in Northway Junction, Alaska (About the first “Town” you come to in AK. But if your going to have it held you need to have it held in a city that actually has a UPS station) and you can pick it up there. Reverse the process on the way home. No FFL needed.

If you ship BE SURE you have a good phone number on the package so they can call you if they have any questions or problems, especially if you have the package held for pick up as they will only hold a package for 3 days before they send it back.

As noted, handguns in Canada are a 100% NO GO, NO WAY. Don't even think about it.

Alaska carry law (In plain language) says that if you are legal to own a firearm you are legal to carry it. No permit or licensing required.

My advise would be to forget the handgun. Your going to be going through a lot of states that each have different laws. If you have (or get) a Florida carry license your covered in most states but not all. The Florida license covers more states than any other. One thing to watch though is that some states only accept the Florida license if your a Florida resident, (you do not have to be a Florida resident to get the Florida license).

Instead of a handgun I would recommend a 12ga pump shotgun. Preferably a 18" Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Loaded with 00 Buck in the lower 48 and once your in bear country load the first shot 00 buck, then 3 slugs then the rest 00 Buck. There are several Alaska wilderness guides that carry a Remington 870 for general protection from human and animal threats including bear. There are also some Alaskans that hunt bear with a properly loaded shotgun rather than a rifle. The shotgun will not be an issue in any of the 50 states. Some jurisdictions will require that it is unloaded and cased but at least it will be legal where in some jurisdictions the handgun (or a rifle) is not.

If you want to get your Florida license I can help, just let me know. If your going to ship a gun and are not perfectly clear on what I said, I’ll be happy to discuss it with you to help you understand it so that you get it right and stay within the law. In order to avoid hi-jacking this thread though it would be best to do it either in another thread or directly through direct email. Whatever I can do to help, please let me know.

If your planning on carrying a handgun and want to know what the deal is in each state you can go to either (I recommend you cross reference BOTH) of these very good websites and they will have the deal for each individual state:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/ and http://www.handgunlaw.us/

If you have a carry permit or license from some state and want to know what other states recognize it, this is the link directly to the NRA page for that:

http://www.nraila.org/recmap/usrecmap.aspx

Just remember, you have to follow the carry laws for the state your in. Your permit/license for your home state does not let you follow your states laws, it is the laws of the state your in. This covers important topics such as where you can or can not carry and when/if/how you may use the weapon.

Hope this helps some...

Now if I only kenw 25% as much about MV's as I do about this stuff..... sigh...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks