• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road trip to Alaska

So what do you think of Ferro's Trip?

• I'll convoy with you!

Votes: 34 15.6%
  • Stop by and have a beer when you pass through

Votes: 64 29.4%
  • Good Luck

Votes: 91 41.7%
  • Don't do it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ferro's lost his #@%^* mind

Votes: 29 13.3%

• Total voters

davidkroberts

I have learned that you only have one life. That being said I think its a great idea.

Would you mind if i convoyed along from the miss river to the canadian border?

akrwac

I am moving to Alaska with several vehicles. I have an M818 and M109 that need drivers if I join this convoy. Anyone with experience interested?

I have a source for veggie oil in Jackson, MS at $2/gal, screened, but not filtered. What do you recommend for filtering it during the trip?

The M818 will be pulling a 57ft van. The deck height on the M818 is causing me problems with overall trailer height. Any truckers on here that can advise me on dealing with D.O.T. as I am private, non-commercial as well as finding a route with appropriate overpass heights or off-ramps and on-ramps to go around lower overpasses?

Thanks in advance...

akrwac

I just saw a post from April. The convoy is now planned for 2011... is that correct?

If so, I will already be moved up there.

My previous post still stands as I need a driver or two.

Also would appreciate input on the trip routing and veggie oil filtration.

thanks

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
If all goes well the trip is still on ..Contact ferro with your Question about drivers. I`ll be going with him and my help with driving. His trip so he knows the route he wants to take.

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am moving to Alaska with several vehicles. I have an M818 and M109 that need drivers if I join this convoy. Anyone with experience interested?
I drove down from Alaska back in November/December of '09 with a semi truck and trailer. I have a Class A CDL and might be able to help. Send me a pm if you can't find a driver (I don't want to hijack this thread too much :) ).

The M818 will be pulling a 57ft van. The deck height on the M818 is causing me problems with overall trailer height. Any truckers on here that can advise me on dealing with D.O.T. as I am private, non-commercial as well as finding a route with appropriate overpass heights or off-ramps and on-ramps to go around lower overpasses?
How about replacing the tall military 5th wheel with a lower height civilian style to help drop the trailer height down? Then when you get up there you can bolt the military fifth wheel back on. If you still end up over 14 feet tall you will need over-height permits and they will tell you the routes you will need to take. If you have any other questions about permits feel free to send me a pm and I will help answer your questions as much as possible.

Ruppster

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know what size tire he has and he didn't say. The problem is he will be towing a civilian trailer, not a military one. A civilian trailer is meant for use with a fifth wheel that is not as tall as the one on a military 6x6 tractor. Combining a tall civilian trailer with a tall 6x6 military 5th wheel set-up will be an issue, even with stock tires. He can drop the trailer down several inches by switching to a civilian fifth wheel as they are only made to pivot on one axis, not two like a military fifth wheel. But this will help only if he is close to getting under 14 feet. If he will still be near 15 feet tall after changing fifth wheels he will still need permits.

Ruppster

Haven't read all the posts here, so it may already have been suggested, but I would change all lubricating fluids to synthetics to not only decrease wear, but also give better mileage and better temps during continuous driving. If you have any wron gaskets or seals, you would need to replace them as well since synthetic oil is so much better at lubricating it will find any small leak and run through it much better than petro-based oil.

BigWill1276

Hey Ferro,
Just checking to see how progress is going on the Rig. I'm still waiting anxiously for the EUC to clear. Hopefully I'll be checking out the M109 soon and rolling back across the country. I'll call it prep work for the 2011 Great Alaskan Adventure. By the way what are the dates selected for 2011 or is that not on the calender yet? Give a holler any time.
By the way not sure how the weather is out there but it is hot as haydes out here. We hit 114 today and no relief in sight.
Anyways brother, be safe and talk to you later.

Big Will.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Westy, but I don't want to fall over dead when I get there! I also plan to stop and see some of this great country of ours, and visit with many SS members.

No concrete dates yet, but the trip is still on for next year, leaving at the end of July.

I've gotten all the radials on the truck, 11r20 Goodyear G177s. gives me better mileage and a whole lot more life. If the OD gears work out well, and my oil hauling business takes off so I can afford a set, I plan on trying to install that in the truck as well. That will help a lot.

My wife painted the truck Navy gray, with my old ship numbers on the side. I've also replaced the stock spring ride seats with a charter bus seat for the driver and a seat out of a 80's Jeep Cherokee. Much much more comfortable for the long trips. The heater is almost done, and the inverter for the box is installed.

akonitony, thanks for the suggestion of going all synthetic. I'm partial to dinosaur juice myself, but I think your right in the long run it would be a benefit.

I'll post some pictures of the rig soon.

And as I've said before, anyone who wants to convoy with us all or part of the way will be welcome. As time gets closer, I will post the finalized route and schedule.

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adam, I hope you are putting A/C in there too. We spent a week or so driving through Kansas and Nebraska the end of July and early August and it was over 100 degrees everyday. It didn't cool off until we were almost to Montana. I can't imagine 107 degrees driving down the road in the Deuce, high nineties in Florida is pretty uncomfortable.

On the plus side, it was nice and cool once we got to Glacier NP August 15th. We went to the Canadian border on MT17 to check it out. Our plans were to go to Alaska this year but we are pushing it back till next year because there is too much to see in the lower 48. I think that is the route we will take next year though.

Anyway, we are starting our 3rd month on the road at Rocky Mountain NP and heading south and east from here. I hope to be back home in time for me to make it to the GA rally in October.

I'm looking forward to next year's trip. With any luck, we'll convoy along with you. If you like, I'll send you the route we took on the way up. I have avoided the interstates as much as possible and it has made the trip very enjoyable.

Ray

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks