• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road trip to Alaska

So what do you think of Ferro's Trip?

• I'll convoy with you!

Votes: 34 15.6%
  • Stop by and have a beer when you pass through

Votes: 64 29.4%
  • Good Luck

Votes: 91 41.7%
  • Don't do it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ferro's lost his #@%^* mind

Votes: 29 13.3%

• Total voters

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for the gun issue- you can get a temporary permit to pass through Canada with a firearm-

Firearm Users Visiting Canada

I have a Mossberg 500, that's what I'm planing to take.

I do not have a set schedule per say. I plan to leave the 3rd week in July. So that would put us in AK the first week in AUG. So I suppose we would be in WA the last week of July. Other than that, everything else depends on what we want to go see, and how long we stay places, breakdowns, etc.

I will post more pics of what has been done to the truck- inverter installed, shower installed, radial tires installed, bucket seats installed, heater installed, etc etc.

I am planning to install an OD gear set, just need the coinage to get said set. As of right now it's still a go.

jatonka

I wish you would wait til June 2012 so we could do it together. Our bunch did a cross country on US Rt. 20 in 2008 and are now going to Alaska in 2012, in June so we don't get into Delta Junction snow storms in August. I lived there in '74 and '75 and I know when the snow comes. Take care, safe trip, carry spares. JT out

oldMan99

As for the gun issue- you can get a temporary permit to pass through Canada with a firearm-
Firearm Users Visiting Canada

I have a Mossberg 500, that's what I'm planing to take.
As I’m sure you read, your Mossberg is in the Non-restricted category, you just have to declare it, get a $25 good for 60 days permit and take a “Reasonably direct” route through the country. Also, depending on the barrel length handguns are either “Restricted” or “Prohibited” apparently mostly depending on barrel length. I would be willing to bet that just about any handgun you might even remotely consider owning, (or carrying) would fall into the prohibited category. Of course you were pretty clear that your not taking a handgun so no reason to continue discussing it here.. J

I do not have a set schedule per say. I plan to leave the 3rd week in July. So that would put us in AK the first week in AUG. So I suppose we would be in WA the last week of July. Other than that, everything else depends on what we want to go see, and how long we stay places, breakdowns, etc.
I saw a couple places where you talked about departure dates. I may have missed this but have you pretty much set that date yet?

I will post more pics of what has been done to the truck- inverter installed, shower installed, radial tires installed, bucket seats installed, heater installed, etc etc.
Just wondering, I thought you were going solo in the truck but above you said “We”. You still solo or do you have a passenger/co-driver now? If your still solo, might you be interested in a passenger/co-driver? (I’ll bring my own shotgun… J )

I am planning to install an OD gear set, just need the coinage to get said set. As of right now it's still a go.
Sounds like your really going all out on the vehicle prep, Good job!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JT, I may wind up waiting. I would hate to push it back another year, but there is so much to do and I would like to save up a couple of extra weeks of vacation time, just in case. But so many of you are planning vacation time around my trip...

I have gotten word back from the Canadian border fellas- I can carry non-hazmat (WMO or WVO) in any quantity, through the country. I just better not sell an oz of it to a Canadian! I have a similar request in with the US customs guys for my entrance into AK and my re-entrance into the lower 48.

I re-read the entire thread, I cannot find where I listed a specific date of departure. I do have a map set up on Google, Hopefully it will show with this link. I plan to travel from SC to WA, then up to AK. I will return through Canadia most of the way.
Charleston, SC to Deadhorse, AK - Google Maps

I am planning on leaving July 2nd 2011 as of right now.

Last edited:

REO 54

Well maybe some of us PNW guys can convoy along with you while come thur OR and WA state.I noticed you are going for a little detour up SR542,Mt Baker Hiway.I have spent many seasons traveling that road[about 28 of 'em] going to Baker.That could be a fun leg of the journey too convoy on.BTW it's Mt Shuksan that is the most visible mt at the ski area which is the end of the Hiway.Ironically,it is one of the most photographed Mtns in the world:driver:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry if this doesn't seem related but I thought it might be relevant as Ferro will be driving his 109.

Okay here's a question that I was unable to find an answer for doing a "search."

I was talking to a MVPA member last night about doing the 2012 ALCAN Highway convoy and he said I would have a hard time driving my M1010 due to the EUC restrictions. I told him I wasn't exporting it just driving through Canada. He said it didn't matter.

I could find nothing in the EUC paperwork about "transporting" a vehicle through another country just about the "transfer" of the property.

I doubt this would be a problem but I'd hate to get to the border crossing on the way back and have them tell me I can't bring my vehicle back in. I would think a properly registered/licensed vehicle (and I have regular plates not Historic or Prior MV tags on it) should be able to re-enter the country. Especially if I'm with 50 other historic military vehicles.

Suggestions (other than SEARCH)?

I seriously doubt they will give you a hard time. The EUC paperwork is there to keep our equipment out of the hands of potential enemies of the state. Matter of fact, there is a form you can get for selling it to non-citizens in foreign countries and it basically has them promise not to use it against the USA. As long as you're not transferring ownership in any way, I imagine all you'll encounter is a possible solute as you drive by. Just my $0.02

CatMan

Driving MV to Alaska

I don't want to see Ferro's thread get confused with the MVPA Alaska Highway Military Vehicle Convoy that will be making the trip in August of 2012. That will be the 70th Anniversary of the completion of the military highway in WWII.

Ferro was talking about one man taking one truck and he hasen't been able to nail down a date. Anyone including Ferro is welcome to join up with the MVPA group for the trip in 2012. They are a great group and we had a blast on the 2009 transcontinental convoy. (In our M35A2) We currently have over 30 HMV's signed up with paid registrations, Plus that many more RV's and chase vehicles with trailers following.

Anyone can follow us right now on Facebook, look for MVPA 2012 Alaska Highway Convoy and you can go to the web site www.mvpa.org and find more details under the convoy tab

This will be a well planned event. We have a full team of volunters already working on the route, camping and lodging, maintanance and repair, safety, medical, commo, spare parts and PR.

Former military vehicles, that are privatly owned and registered/licenced on either side of the US Canadian borders regularly move back and forth over the border to MV events without any issues. If it is no longer owned by the government and it is titled to you, highway licenced and carries insurance it is no different than your civilian built car or truck . We have confirmed this and have demonstrated it many times between Michigan and Ontario. HMV owners living in Alaska have made the Alaska highway trip multipul times driving thru Canada on the rturn to Alaska from Portland OR. And the MVPA made the convoy in 1992 on the 50th anniversary with no issues of crossing borders with HMV's. This works both ways, with US military vehicles and Canadian Military Pattern (CMP) MV's coming in to the US on a transient and temporary trip and intending to return to the original location were they are licenced.

We will cover all the bases for the MVPA trip.

The 2012 Convoy will be THE TRIP to take. Our best to anyone that wants to go on their own, but you are certainly invited to join with the MVPA in 2012.

Jeff Rowsam
AC12 Convoy Executive Officer

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Jeff.

I've already commented on the MVPA thread and linked the Facebook page to my Facebook account.

I appreciate the info and advice from others here and will let this thread return to it's previous broadcast schedule.

Sorry for the hijack Ferro.

MC

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, if you're serious, I will wait a year, just to see you drive that thing to AK. We can take pictures. After all, the cab will be in AK and the pintle will still be in WA... rofl

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, maybe semi serious. I would like to wait and see what the road to deadhorse is like when I go up there in August. Plus it would take 5 weeks just to get the 814 there and back at 50 MPH, plus the 2000 odd gallons of fuel it would take.

dionmtn

:driver:I think this would be the trip of a life time. I am really considering it, but I would trailer my MV to the starting point. It would be nice if there were somewhere to leave the trailer and tow truck.

Need advice, which to take. M151A1 w/trailer, M38A1 w/trailer, or Burma Jeep with covered bed? Either would be a beating, but which has best chance of success and easiest on the ole body? If you have opinion, let me know.

I already have permission thru the War Department (wife) so the big battle is over.

I would like to go more than 120 miles a day. Is there a way a person could go ahead and wait on the others if 120 gets to be a drag.

Are there facilities along the way? If so, what are they? I'm an ole grunt but it doesn't mean I want to be "roughing" it again. Kinda used to a good bed in my old days.

One big deal with me. What about firearms? I feel naked without something to rely on. I know Canada is very "backwards" on the carry front, but, since I'm not Canadian, well, I feel comfortable with my Colt near at hand.

Oh well, my first post on this subject. Let me hear from you all.

oldMan99

One big deal with me. What about firearms? I feel naked without something to rely on. I know Canada is very "backwards" on the carry front, but, since I'm not Canadian, well, I feel comfortable with my Colt near at hand.

Oh well, my first post on this subject. Let me hear from you all.
Quite a detailed discussion of firearms back on page 20 and 21.

I will not have a suitable MV by the time of this trip but if anybody going has an extra seat and a place for me to sleep, I'll pitch in for fuel and take my turn behind the wheel.

If it were delayed by a year I would be ready and I could drive up the coast and meet the OP and press on from there..... (Hint hint....lol)

oilburner

After just completing 1580 miles I would
1 Drivers seat upgrade
2 install muffler if there is not one
3 cover floor in cab with mat or carpet to help with noise
4 seal all hot/cold air leaks in cab floor and fire wall
5 double check throttle springs add if needed so it is easy on rough roads not to "bounce throttle"
6 fuzzy dice
2cents

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see questions about accomodations, etc. Before you go on your trip, get a current copy of the "Milepost", most bookstores have them or will order them and you can get them on-line. They have a very very good list of all amenities along every mile of the ALCAN. Food, lodging, fuel, hot springs, things to do, things to watch out for. It goes in the bag right next to the duct tape, baling wire, gorilla glue, and the other must-have supplies!:driver:

Marines42

Here's a thought: If you leave in late July/Early August 2012 you can meet up with the MVPA ALCAN convoy that is going from Dawson Creek, British Columbia to Fairbanks, Alaska and back. There will be a ton of people and you can convoy with a large group. You can get in touch with the convoy organizer Terry Shelswell at HQ@MVPA.ORG and I am sure they won't have any problem with you popping in our out as you feel. I am trying to get my M38 finished in time to have it hauled up there and take part. I am just west of you in North GA.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks