• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road trip to Ringgold Ga.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trip went well, very well compared to the other group headed south right now.

I told Gimpy I wanted to drive when we stopped at the rest stop at the bottom of Kentucky. That truck has more get up and go than my 813 but I needed it running up Jellico. I passed an OTR truck going up and looked over at him and smiled. :)

I got just over 160 miles of seat time and it got really interesting by Chattanooga, two accidents within a mile of each other right at the turn to head south on 75. Since my incident people know about my "blind" spot (not a spot and not blind) but I managed to make it worse last night. I jumped out of the truck and showed Gimpy, I still had my sunglasses on. Doh!!

Nice to go inside Derek's place instead of dropping stuff at the gate.

Trip back was kind of eventful except for an accident that had I75 southbound closed. We figured it was bad but the lights were so bright I'm surprised they didn't cause more accidents on the northbound side.

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/Crash-injures-several-people-in-Madison-County-286944411.html

Rolled into Gimpy's at 3:13 and he basically unloaded the truck and I got home about 4:08.

Good times

What a Christmas break from work. Picked a 923, turned over said 923, towed same 923 off the interstate to safety and delivered an 818 to Georgia and back in just under 4 days. Gimpy and I have been busy.

3dAngus

Congratulations on the road trip. Makes me tired just reading about it. There was a lot to that one. Enjoy the rest time.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did anyone have have warm sticky buns during this trip?

Jeepsinker

I'm on my way home now. Just stopped for fuel and restroom break between Tuscaloosa and Birmingham. I wanted a drink but all I have is $20 bills and I am not carrying around $18.75 in quarters.

Jeepsinker

I just made Slidell. Stopped at the T/A truckstop to check fuel and rest my butt and I was only down a half a tank. I am moving a lot faster and burning a lot less fuel without all that weight. Haven't had to downshift for a single hill yet on the way back. That's pretty good considering I'm still carting a trailer that weighs almost 6,000 lbs by itself.

I should be in my driveway inside 4 hours now.

Jeepsinker

Just pulled in the driveway.
end odometer: 71012.5
Approximately 1/3 tank left in the truck tank and 40 gallons left in auxiliary. No problems with the truck on the road, but I will do an inspection tomorrow. She performed wonderfully.

It was great to see you guys again, we'll have to do it again sometime.

TaylorTradingCo

I'm glad everyone made it home safely. Thanks for all your work bringing stuff down to my place, just wish you could've stayed a spell and visited more. I took off after church yesterday and am between Little Rock and Fort Smith Arkansas on my way to Fort Sill, OK to pick up another big pile of towbars. This past few weeks has been particularly good for green stuff.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the sidewinder at wheelspinners in NC.? If so, I plan to go up there after new years to get my winch, I will also pick up the sidewinder and bring it south, I am about 1 hr. from blue ridge which would make a easy hand off to Kenny the next time he heads that way.
Kenny's winch is southbound to meet up with Ron's. I hope Ron's doesn't gang up on Kenny's little one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks