• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Trip TX -> North, SEPT 29 - OCT 14

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Re: Road Trip TX -> North, SEPT 29 - OCT 14

Patrick, if your worried about the Dayton museum and your truck, I will take you in my civy vehicle. Its been a LOOOONNGGG time since I went, but would be glad to go again.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Road Trip TX -> North, SEPT 29 - OCT 14

These cad plated washers would be the yellowish-gold ones right?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: Road Trip TX -> North, SEPT 29 - OCT 14

The main point is to go make the pilgrimage to Fair Radio and drool before the remains of military electronica. It's similar to making a pilgrimage to the Dayton OH hamfest. (another thing not done yet)

I'll propose an updated itenerary.

[][][]

People who have spoken up, I'd like to meet, at least for a drink (like Ice Tea or water) and to see yer MV's!

Cincinnati
Junkyardwarscrusher
Gimpyrobb

Evansville
lstmate

Mount Rushmore:
maccus
South Dakota - getting there depends on what things occupy time in OH-IN. The deal is that if I have driven the beast to IN/OH, and there are several things now brought to my attention like the LST-325 and the AF museum, that each take a day, then I have to take advantage of them while I am there. Might not get another chance.

[][][]

establishments:

Fair Radio (Lima OH)
www.fairradio.com -lemme know if you want anything..

The LST-325 Memorial (Evansville IL)
http://www.lstmemorial.org/

The National Air Force Museum (Dayton)
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

MECI Surplus (time permitting)

Rausch creek NOV 6-7?- too far from Dallas -5 days away-, to be sure of getting back on time with margin for 'problems' - see I was blessed last time to only have a dragon hit the windshield and the alternator belts and bracket break.

also got the laptop working with the samsung blackjack phone/modem so I will have internet regardless of wi-fi or not (woo-hoo! It works!)

To get the truck ready, I have done these things:

spin on oil filters
preluber
oil change
new air filter
fixed shelter A/C drain
fuel filters checked (OK)
brake fluid, checked for leaks
checked air line leak (ok so it has a pinhole, but not grown..)
fixed (or so I believe) the squealing in the intercom when keying the CB radio
added a dimmer for the flourescent dash light (100 ohm rheostat works good with the 12 watt/12 volt flourescent.)
checked coolant and added anti-cavitation aditive
checked all diffs and transmission transfer levels
counted and organized all mechanical, plumbing, electronics tools, towbar onboard
checked batteries
spare alternaotr belt and compressor belt and pully wench
checked alternaotr output under load
checked all belts
check for oil leaks, re-checked fittings on preluber, have original drain plug in case..
check for loose nuts, screws, etc..
checked tires, axle boots, axle vents, transmission transfer vents, u-joints/bolts
check all lamps, have some spare bulbs.
tested diesel generator and power supplies since these could be used to recharge the truck's batteries..
MRE's, 6 days water, 30 days meds supply

what else, did I forget something?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I have part of this planned..

friday sep 28:
dallas-little rock, 319 mils
overnight at KOA campground

SAT sep 29
get up early and drive all day to Vanderburg 4-H center, 352 miles.
check this-google earth says 457 miles from the exact addresses of KOA to the LST, but 352 miles from generic Little Rock to Evansville. wierd.. Anyway I crosschecked. it's 352 miles.
(I have to call the 4-H tomorrow, make sure they are open?? they didn't answer e-mail) Get in there and hit the sack.

SUN sep. 30
there's a Church service at 9:30 I want to go to. The LST does not open till Noon. Noon-5 PM. The LST is closed Mondays..

So I should be at the LST all afternoon Sunday.

crash at the 4-H again, then move on..

MON OCT 1: 206 miles to Cincinnati. about a 4-5 hour trip, stopping for lunch etc. So can you guys meet up with me there? what's convenient? Dang Monday's a work day.. But I will be going through there then, and not in too big a hurry. (long as I can spend a couple week days at the mission objective Fair Radio everything else is fair game).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

You might have to meet up with JWC, I am supposed to be back from the Ga rally by then, just not sure I will be.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

JWC, what do you think? There's always the possibility to go on to Lima/Fair Radio. It's a day's drive from the LST. If it is convenient for either of yall I could catch yall on the flip side as they say. I guess it comes down to weekdays and weekends. If the internet is working where I am, I'll post as I go like last time.
What I did not need right now 3 days before I go is the city threatening to tow away my M105 trailer.. illegitimate offsprings!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hehe.. I moved the trailer over beside a friend's house, right across the street.. said "I'll give you this used aluminum ladder".. and it was just like magic. The guy aint got so much on the ball but he's honest and won't care how long it sits there or if I back the truck into his side yard to hitch it up.
Now is also a good time to report that a 350cc 4x4 ATV, no matter how short the route, is not a good tow vehicle for a M105 from either a toungue load or towing capacity standpoint.

So.. it'll be the flip side for Cinci, and KOA / 4H campgrounds seem cheap, safe, and clean. Learned all about truck stops last time.

I am an operator, not a driver. The only long leg is from Little Rock to Evansville, 457 miles. Otherwise about 300. Equinox time means plenty of daylight if I don't waste it by excessive fiddling around while stopped. So, no rush..

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Now is also a good time to report that a 350cc 4x4 ATV, no matter how short the route, is not a good tow vehicle for a M105 from either a toungue load or towing capacity standpoint.

tbanks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have about 1500 pounds of hardware if this is what your looking for.1/4" and 5/16" nuts bolts and washers.Sell for 1.00 a pound which comes out about 3 or 4 bags depending on sizes.Opcom if you want to make a 15 mile detour on your way south US 75 to Georgia.15 miles East of Lexington KY on US 64 east.
I will be at Knob Creek on Friday for the shoot if anyone wants a large quantity.

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so survived the first 2 days. Previously, I had turned up the fuel 2 flats over stock. I turned it two more now, and that is just about right. (as been said before, don't mess with fuel unless you have a pyro) The EGT still has not gone over 900 post-turbo (3" from outlet), but I went from 7 to 9 psi boost. I don't run at these numbers, but the brief surge for getting up to speed or climbing a hill without always down-shifting is great. Now I am watching the pyrometer and driving by the boost gauge. If the pyro creeps up. I just drop the boost a couple inches and it reverses.

The 12V electronic flourescent lamp I mounted to illuminate the dash lamps works great. I put a 100 ohm 0.65A rheostat in series with it, and I can dim it very well for night driving. In the daytime it also works great to brighten the gauges, especially when wearing sunglasses.

Friday was so crazy I didn't have time to post. About 150 miles from home, I noticed an odor of oil. Not burning, but just 'oil'. I stopped and checked, and sure enough, there was an oil leak on the hardware of the oil sampling valve and pre-luber connection where it feeds oil into the engine. I had lost about a gallon. Strange because there was no leak before. I tightened it all up as best I could and went to the KOA in Little Rock. Got in about 8 PM. The manager was fascinated by the MV, and I told him about steelsoldiers.com. 0600 got out all the tools and re-did the whole thing. No more oil had been lost but I didn't want to take any chances.

While I was checking that, I noticed a fuel leak on the flame heater nozzle. This is really wierd. No fuel can be seen on the lines or fittings, but it is dripping from the rear of the barrel-shaped body of the nozzle assy. I stopped at a parts store and bought a 1/8" pipe plug and a 1/8" pipe cap. I removed the large line from the nozzle and capped it. The put the plug in the open port. The line supplying the fuel to the leak is the one that branches from the middle of the bank of fuel injectors's top ends. This is a return line I believe, and so it has some little pressure, not sure how much. I have no idea why the flame heater nozzle assy should leak, I thought it was one piece.

I do not know why these things decided to happen just now. Maybe it is the continuous highway use for several hours that caused them. The filter kit I got from Builder77 is working well. I noticed when checking the oil, it is alot cleaner after 775 miles on the dipstick than usual, but time will tell after the trip.

It was 1030 by the time this was done, and I got to Evansville at 2200.

On the way, I found a surplus store on I-55 in Arkansas. My notes are in the truck, but some pics are below. I had to stop, attracted by the signage.

Attachments

alphadeltaromeo

Keep the pics and story coming...I love road trip adventures. You're really making me wanna put that shelter (that I bought) on my deuce. With the increase in IP turns, do you think you're happy now with the power? What is the total weight of the MV again with all of your stuff?

Again...be safe and have fun! :driver:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like everything is progressing as planned.
Never stopped at the KOA with an MV, need to try that some time...
For the long trips, gauges become important, that's for sure, you can't have too many. :)
The procedure you are derscribing merges with mine for checking the boost and egt whenever the engine gets loaded down a bit.

The observations regarding the flame heater nozzle bring up the need for shut-off valves in those lines. They were used in the original installations, at least on the lds465-1 engines to prevent any kind of leak. I'm installing one in the feed line on the 8x8 truck and making space on the mounting bracket for a return line valve if needed.

alphadeltaromeo

I'd agree Bjorn...I've been discussing stopping at camping places in ours as well. We're thinking when the boys are older and licensed, they can get a few deuces and we can convoy to go camping. The wifey (after the GA Rally) needs a Pinz now lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks