• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rod Ventilated Block in Deuce -NOT- Crank Broke

rebelcummins

what is the gunk? is that a clue to something? (as I run outside to un-bolt mine)[/QUOTE

I've only seen that when oil is mixing with water but, there is no way the antifreez would have filled the crank case that far befor it would have hydro locked the lower end. unless it was in deep water. cause both heads had that gunk all over the place under there.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if it had a bent connecting rod from a hydro lock situation. In time it could have stressed the crank to failure. WAG

o1951

Thank you for posting the pix.
Looking at pix #6, black sludge on crack shows piece was busted for a long time - perhaps cracked at last rebuild.
If the crank cracked between that bearing and adjacent main, probably caused by lack of support.

ducer

Look up Lock and Stitch in California I'll bet they could repair all of the dammage to the block. Might cost a small fortune though. But for cast iron repair their products can't be beat.

Denny

rebelcummins

Thank you for posting the pix.
Looking at pix #6, black sludge on crack shows piece was busted for a long time - perhaps cracked at last rebuild.
If the crank cracked between that bearing and adjacent main, probably caused by lack of support.
your welcome, yeah if you look at the broken crank you can tell it was like that for a while du to the smooth and shinyness.

rebelcummins

Look up Lock and Stitch in California I'll bet they could repair all of the dammage to the block. Might cost a small fortune though. But for cast iron repair their products can't be beat.

Denny

thanks i'll pass but, ill keep that in mind. im not going to worry about this block. I bought it for the parts and i only posted the pic's for swbradley1 cause he wanted me to post pic's for all to see.

rebelcummins

I wonder if it had a bent connecting rod from a hydro lock situation. In time it could have stressed the crank to failure. WAG
That is possible but, there went any bent rods that i could tell and i wasent able to pull. i was putting 250+ ft lbs of tourq on an impact and it was braking bolts off in the rod caps and cracking them. I was unable to determine the cause of failure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks