• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rod Ventilated Block in Deuce -NOT- Crank Broke

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While it has been slower than I wanted with the cold setting in JW4x4, Gimpy and I got a lot done today on the truck. We also got a much closer look at the line on the side of the block that Gimpy thought was a crack. We had the engine up higher and I put a light right on and got up close enough to see that yes the block is cracked and a big crack at that. The oil running down from the top is getting drawn back into the block when it hits it hence the dirty on top and clean below the crack. I still think it is a blown head gasket but pulling the heads will have to wait a little while longer.

Here are pics I got and JW got a few more I hope he will be posting. The replacement engine is installed and bolted down and the old one is on dollies to roll around out of the way. that's it sitting on the floor. We left the transmission out and it was easier getting the motor mounts in with me sitting on the floor under the truck. I think if we get the lines on it tomorrow we may be able to start her up.

Only one injury so far and that is when we moved the truck and two hi-lift jacks fell onto my right leg. It hurt but I didn't know how bad until I got into the house and looked down and saw it. Like a narrow 3 inch concentrated rug burn that left a mark. :-(

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you were wearing your helmet.

Perhaps a pair of knee pads you should get.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Helmet nor knee pads would have helped. They hit 5 inches below the knee.

You will have to wait to see JW's pics to see if I had any safety equipment on.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Cold Setting In"??? Seriously? It once took Mikey and I 8 hours to install a new cam in a big block. This was in Dayton, in a metal warehouse, without heat and 20+ degrees below zero. Normally a 2 1/2 hour job. We did learn in the process that Yukon Jack doesn't come close to freezing at 20 below but does go down very smoothly. I don't remember what effect it had on us physically but our insides felt toasty warm. To this day I keep my Yukon Jack in the freezer where it doesn't freeze. Also, to this day, JW4X4 still has that big block.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Short work on the truck today. We installed and adjusted a couple things, the fired her up! Next is to put on the rad, trans, and sheet metal.

Then go do doughnuts in the yard!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Big thanks to Gimpy and JW4x4 for this weekend on the truck. It lives and yes the 2x6 is on the fender for obvious reasons and yes we found out all the exhaust has a tendency to go through the doghouse into the cab when you put the pipes on. :)

http://youtu.be/XwVey8cMDyI

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't even think the crack in the block had anything to do with the knock. Gimpy could not see anything hitting the block on the inside and I couldn't either. The crack may have been there for a while.

jw4x4

Yeah, but did it run?
Yes it did run, and very well at that. '79 Chevy short bed, big block 4 speed w/blow-proof bell housing. 14 bolt Corporate rear, Dana 60 front. Big winch w/custom bumper. 40" Ground Hawgs. Truck weighed 7000 lbs. Made it thru any mud hole and was a vvery capable recovery vehicle. It would snap your neck and bounce the back of your head off the rear window when the accel pedal was mashed. I will look for some pics. Mike bought the truck new in late '78 and sold it to me in '90. I got rid of most everything except the engine in 2002.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You mean you had an engine we could have put in the Deuce and didn't say anything?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks