• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rod Ventilated Block in Deuce -NOT- Crank Broke

welldigger

In all honesty, when I read this and posted earlier, I had just come in the house from working on an M35a2. The last thing I did, I almost got up and hit my head on the underside of the open door.

:gimp:
I have another problem all together. I wear a hat when I'm working on my or someone else's truck. It never fails I'm looking down at a part and walking and look up just I'm time to meet an open door face to door.....maybe I should start wearing my hat backwards.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just sold the old engine for Rebelcummins to use for parts and fab work. He just called to tell me the crank broke in two. I wondered why it vibrated a little.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebel said it was broke at the number 4 piston. Hence the cracked block. He took pics and said he would post them up later.

AMGeneral

Many moons ago(around 1999),when I first bought Oddball my M35A2C,it had a noise that could be described as a "loose flywheel" it got worse with the clutch out and lessened when the clutch was pushed in.
Upon inspection I had a broken crankshaft,just past the #4 main journal,ran fine and leaked no oil,Upon speaking to Charles Talbert at M series Rebuild,he informed me that running a mix of gasoline in the multi for extended periods was the root cause,(the truck had 1/2 tank of gasoline in it when I had purchased it,it came that way from DRMO).

I do note I purchased this truck in this condition,and the seller informed me up front that it had issues,he included a spare LD 465 multi in the can with the deal.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Interesting Brandon. I know I have run some fuel with gas in it in the wrecker, but it was a very minor amount. Pretty sure SWB's truck had not seen any during his ownership. Oh well, guess we could re-name this thread "as the crank turns" or better yet, "as the crank snaps"! Seems like we have the making of an exclusive club here.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I ended up getting a crank to replace the one in my LDS motor. That is one of the heavy-est things I have ever lifted and moved by my self.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I believe it weighs 425lbs by itself. If may go and see it since he is only a few miles from where I live and on my way to work.

I never ran anything except clean ULSD and additives for lube in her. I blame the previous owner. I think when anything happens anywhere I blame the previous owner......

Kasper31

Interesting converstion you fellas have going here, are you saying that the gas in the fuel system may have caused the crank to break.
This brings up a question on using fuels other than #2 diesel. Since I'm new to this I'm very interested in what is causing this broken crank problem as
I have just purchased a M-35A1D multifuel and my learning curve is a little steep at this time.
Thanks to all for the info on this string of conversations.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt very much that it was any fuel in my truck. It came from GL and went to the previous owner and then to me. It had diesel in it when I got it and that's all I ever put in it except for cans of NEW motor oil or 1 gallon jugs of it.

You can ask my wife Gimpy, even with a broken crank it started right up. I'll bet if we hooked a jerry can up to it yesterday sitting on his trailer it would have started right up except that it was sitting with the oil pan off. The multi is one he11 of an engine in anyone's book. It means I was driving it on two cylinders before I pulled over. :)

Last edited by a moderator: