• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

roll call of EXISTING Vietnam gun trucks

frank scholer

100_1939.jpg100_1946.jpg100_1947.jpg100_1952.jpg
Photos of the mounting of the box on the chassis, with help from the guys in the MVCC. The truck will be a tribute truck for the Grim Reaper from the 4th ID, which is currently stationed here in Colorado at Ft Carson. See pix 149 on page 41 of Lyles book"Gun Trucks in Vietnam" of the original.

Last edited:

frank scholer

100_1853.jpg100_1854.jpg100_1863.jpg100_1864.jpg
Here are a few detail pictures of the rear door that I built. I thought it would be good to have it since climbing over the side to get in and out is for younger guys. I couldn't find the right latch mechanism so I had to build my own. It works quite well and is not too obvious from outside.

frank scholer

My organization here in Colorado, the Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado, has a slide show of pictures of my gun truck project. Go to www.mvcconline.org home page and click on Newsroom, then link to gun truck conversion. Right now I am doing a number of minor touches and putting together a 50 cal post mount with equilibrator and a dummy gun. I plan to debut the truck at the Colorado Springs Veteran's Day parade.

Last edited:

frank scholer

Here are some pictures from my gun truck project. It is based on the Grim Reaper of the 4th ID, 4thS&T, truck B15. Thanks to the guys of the MVCC here in Colorado for help and to James Lyles for info about the truck.
100_2045.jpg100_2047.jpg100_1981.jpg

Another Ahab

Here are some pictures from my gun truck project. It is based on the Grim Reaper of the 4th ID, 4thS&T, truck B15. Thanks to the guys of the MVCC here in Colorado for help and to James Lyles for info about the truck.
View attachment 672283
Your truck looks real good. It's a great tribute to all the men of the gun trucks.

God bless them all. Amen

Last edited:

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
The M35 tribute truck "Squatter Swatter" was built by Eddie Black and his son in Palmetto, Georgia. Unfortunately Eddie was killed in a car wreck a few years ago.

He also built another M35 tribute truck called "Thunder Road". It had armor on the sides similar in shape to some of the trucks that carried quad .50s. Eddie had a mortar in the back of that one. I don't know where either of these trucks are now.

There is a M37 gun truck in FL, I think it's a replica of either Mr. Nice or Otto. I'm thinking Mr. Nice, but I don't remember for sure. The man that built it bought a demilled M60 and some dummy M16A1s from me a couple years ago for it.

Good luck with your M37 gun truck project!
Joe
Hey! I was raised in palmetto! And live about 20 miles from it in the land of the walking dead (Senoia)

frank scholer

I re-read the original posting of the gun truck list by Maddog308 and it seems my truck should be considered a replica, not a tribute, since it closely follows an actual truck. I got the two terms mixed up. Anyway, the list currently shows a M35 Grim Reaper as a tribute. Is that another M35 Grim Reaper gun truck or is that mine (44ST B15)? As far as I know, mine is the only gun truck in Colorado.
I plan on taking mine to the Army-Air Force football game at the AFA in Colorado Springs in November, as part of a military vehicle display.

Another Ahab

I re-read the original posting of the gun truck list by Maddog308 and it seems my truck should be considered a replica, not a tribute, since it closely follows an actual truck. I got the two terms mixed up. Anyway, the list currently shows a M35 Grim Reaper as a tribute. Is that another M35 Grim Reaper gun truck or is that mine (44ST B15)? As far as I know, mine is the only gun truck in Colorado.
I plan on taking mine to the Army-Air Force football game at the AFA in Colorado Springs in November, as part of a military vehicle display.
You got to give us a pic. You know:

- Pleeeez

Gun Trucker

We also have;
M54 replica, BRUTUS
M54 replica, THE COLONEL (APC)
M35 repro, THE FUGITIVES
M35 tribute, THE MORTICIAN
M35 tribute, SNOOPY
M37 repro, DAUGHTER OF DARKNESS
M54 repro MADAM PELE

Gun Trucker

Not sure if my post went through or not so here it is again.
M54 replica, BRUTUS
M54 replica, COLONEL (APC gun truck)
M54 replica, MADAM PELE
M35 replica, THE FUGITIVES
M35 tribute, THE MORTICIAN
M35 tribute, SNOOPY
M35 replica, LOVE / PEACE
M37 replica, WILD HONEY
M37 replica, DAUGHTER OF DARKNESS

sandcobra164

I had an opportunity to purchase "Proud American". I had to pass due to lack of funds but I had found a place to store it. I would have hated to scratch the paint anymore than I already had but I use my trucks to do work. The moment that I felt I had made the right decision came on January 22nd of last year. The place on MCLB Albany that I was cleared to store the truck was destroyed by the tornado and if it had been stored inside the building, it would be headed for the scrapyard. I even called PB a few days later to tell him that the place I thought was safe was gone, thank goodness we didn't make a deal. To my knowledge, it's still in good shape and spending time as a museum piece. Papabear and crew did a great job putting it together. I have learned so much from PB and the two guys in the first picture. Those two were the surviving members of the crew that were on the original "Proud American" that met it's demise a few days after it was built. They never got a chance to paint it as pretty as the replica but the intent was there when PB and crew did it. Member "Red" sent me some pictures of the original.

Attachments

Gun Trucker

Just remembered another replica. It's a 2-1/2 ton Quad-50 named The Great Eve Of Destruction at the Fort Sill Museum.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks