• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rookie here! Purchased a Hmmwv Jan 2, 2020

Jtalbot

Like the title states, purchasing my first HMMWV in just two days! The vehicle is a 1992 M998 and is painted in camo green/brown. It has been tagged and titled for over two years and been driven daily for most of the time. With my obvious excitement, what are some things I should look out for before turning my money over? The gentleman lives 105 miles from me so a friend will be giving me a ride there and ill be driving it back.

I look forward to becoming part of this community and learning as much as possible!

Dayron84

I also just purchased my first humvee a few weeks ago. Before purchasing I did tons of research as I tend to always do prior to making a big purchase. There are many guys on this forum that are WAY more knowledgeable than I am but my advice would be to trailer it home if you can. If not, inspect it as well as possible before making the drive home. I trailered mine home and immediately changed ALL fluids and filters as well as gave everything a very good inspection. I’ve got a mile long list of upgrades I want but making sure it’s reliable first. Good luck and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not all of this will apply to your situation, but make sure you read through this thread for things to look for while doing an initial inspection of the truck

Jtalbot

I appreciate the input and so look forward to getting this vehicle. Unfortunately i'm unable to trailer it home but the seller swears it'll make the trip no issue. I plan on knocking things off the checklist as soon as possible. I appreciate you all!

Wire Fox

I appreciate the input and so look forward to getting this vehicle. Unfortunately i'm unable to trailer it home but the seller swears it'll make the trip no issue. I plan on knocking things off the checklist as soon as possible. I appreciate you all!
While this one may be perfectly fine to drive home, do heed that list carefully. If you see any risks of the wheels literally falling off, the brakes not being able to stop reliably, or the engine possibly having any issues making power, then just don't start the trip. Hold off on the buy until you can either correct the issue on the seller's property or you can arrange for a trailer pickup. It's simply not worth the risk of breaking down or having a critical safety failure en route. On a good day, that might just cost you hundreds of dollars more than doing it right. On a bad day, you might literally kill someone with a 160 lb wheel smashing into the front of a car due to an improperly installed hub.

Edit: Good luck with your find! Even when these things are being complete garbage and frustrating you from failures, they're still more fun than anything else I've ever driven.

Jtalbot

So after talking highly about being about to drive the vehicle back without issue the seller informed me of a torn boot on the front. He stated he had a new boot he just hasn't installed it yet. I have done a little bit of research and discovered that most people believe replacing the half shaft is the best route to go. The problem is when i did a quick search i'm finding prices all over the place. Is there a certain website where most go for any and all HMMWV parts?

I appreciate you all!

Last edited:

Wire Fox

So after talking highly about being about to drive the vehicle back without issue the seller informed me of a torn boot on the front. He stated he had a new boot he just hasn't installed it yet. I have done a little bit of research and discovered that most people believe replacing the half shaft is the best route to go. The problem is when i did a quick search i'm finding prices all over the place. Is there a certain website where most go for any and all HMMWV parts?

I appreciate you all!
It's almost impossible to go wrong at Bluehummer, Hummerpartsguy(HPG), or Kascar. They're dealer-type outlets. Macmotors also nets some seriously hard-to-find parts, but their ordering process isn't quite as smooth as the others. There's also a lot of good guys on this board that list out parts.

I would strongly avoid halfshafts and many other big-ticket items on eBay (and site policy prevents me from linking you any that might actually be good listings there). There's a lot of China counterfeits on eBay for halfshafts, washer tank parts, coolant tanks, starters, alternators, and a few other things. They tend to work, but be short-lived. It's very hard to spot out what's real and what's fake until you've been immersed in the parts of the hobby for a couple of years.

I also will note that replacing a boot is a fine way to go if caught pretty early. If its been messed up for a long time, there may be water/dirt intrusion leading to significant part wear. If it's fresh, it's just as simple as disassemble, reboot, and re-grease. (Though, re-booting can be a frustrating process without good tools...)

SchmidtLegal

I appreciate you all!
I had a torn boot on the right front. Most people do suggest replacing the shaft, but if the shaft is sound, it takes 15 minutes and a $10 part to repair. I replaced the boot and haven't had any issues. I suggest from personal experience saving your money until you have to spend it (and you will).

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Autozone sells shafts for 99 clams apiece.

You need two identical rear shafts as they are the same length. You need two different size shafts for the front as they are asymmetrical.

I think the autozone shaft numbers are as follows but I cannot remember which number fits which axle.

One of the shaft numbers is 16059n

Others are 16058n and 16060n

N might proceed the numbers. Going from memory.

Best, T

Jtalbot

It's almost impossible to go wrong at Bluehummer, Hummerpartsguy(HPG), or Kascar. They're dealer-type outlets. Macmotors also nets some seriously hard-to-find parts, but their ordering process isn't quite as smooth as the others. There's also a lot of good guys on this board that list out parts.

I would strongly avoid halfshafts and many other big-ticket items on eBay (and site policy prevents me from linking you any that might actually be good listings there). There's a lot of China counterfeits on eBay for halfshafts, washer tank parts, coolant tanks, starters, alternators, and a few other things. They tend to work, but be short-lived. It's very hard to spot out what's real and what's fake until you've been immersed in the parts of the hobby for a couple of years.

I also will note that replacing a boot is a fine way to go if caught pretty early. If its been messed up for a long time, there may be water/dirt intrusion leading to significant part wear. If it's fresh, it's just as simple as disassemble, reboot, and re-grease. (Though, re-booting can be a frustrating process without good tools...)
I had a torn boot on the right front. Most people do suggest replacing the shaft, but if the shaft is sound, it takes 15 minutes and a $10 part to repair. I replaced the boot and haven't had any issues. I suggest from personal experience saving your money until you have to spend it (and you will).

Autozone sells shafts for 99 clams apiece.

You need two identical rear shafts as they are the same length. You need two different size shafts for the front as they are asymmetrical.

I think the autozone shaft numbers are as follows but I cannot remember which number fits which axle.

One of the shaft numbers is 16059n

Others are 16058n and 16060n

N might proceed the numbers. Going from memory.

Best, T
I appreciate you all! I'll attempt to replace to boot. If there is further damage then i will hit up my local auto part store and purchase new half shafts. Thanks for the part numbers, ill make sure to double check before i swipe my card! lol

I just finished yesterday replacing my injection pump which I had overhauled. I'm not sure where you are in NC, but give me a call sometime if you have any questions and I may be able to help. Here's my ride.
I live in the Charlotte area, I may take you up on that! Definitely would be nice to meet with someone who's been through all this before!

Hmmv4me

I appreciate you all!
I did a front outer boot on my axle and haven't had any issues with it. I did it as soon as it tore though. For me it wasn't about the money, it was about keeping the lower weight rated axles. Seems they are difficult to get. Anyway, have a blast and remember, these these things do not go fast so be patient on the drive home. Mine does 60 at the top but is more comfortable at about 55. 6.2l with the TH400.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll second that, if it has the 3 speed going over 55 for anything more than short periods of time is not a good idea unless you want an excuse to upgrade the engine.

fasttruck

Check all fluid levels (engine, trans, transfer, axles) before leaving. Jack at least front wheels off the ground and inspect for slack in steering and suspension. Trailering is the safest way to go and thoroughly inspect the vehicle at home. Read the reading: very important. Operators' manual, organizational manual, parts book, and lubrication order. Do you know how to operate an Army light switch ? Push the lever from "service" past "off" to "B.O. marker"and you will commence a battery endurance trial. There are a substantial number of grease points on the typical HUMMER: neglect them at your own peril. The lub order tells you where they are. All the pubs are available on line or in paper at swap meets. When you inspect t the vehicle look under it for any signs of recent activity around the grease fittings and signs of collision damage with rocks and other trail obstructions. A vehicle that has only been to parades typically has less problems than one that has been used for rock climbing. Belts tight and in good condition as are hoses ?

If you can locate an operators' manual in advance read the "PMC S", preventive maintenance checks and services, and compare the entries therein to the item on the vehicle to determine serviceability which will help if you are not immediately familiar with their problems..

Ajax MD

I just finished yesterday replacing my injection pump which I had overhauled. I'm not sure where you are in NC, but give me a call sometime if you have any questions and I may be able to help. Here's my ride.
I love this photo. I feel that our WW II forefathers would look at the HMMWV and say "You took a Cadillac to war?"

Jtalbot

Well boys we got her home Tuesday! The only issue is the above mentioned boot and the gentleman was kind enough to give me a new half shaft (Will the H1 half shaft work?) Learned that the vehicle was assigned to a base in Tennessee and never left the states!

Just a quick note:
+ This thing is amazing
+ The horn is comical
- Cant see sh** backing up
- I bet tires are gonna cost a house payment a piece lol

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Dayron84

Great looking rig. Love the leverne brush guard. Are you located in Tennessee? I’m close to Knoxville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks