• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rookie here! Purchased a Hmmwv Jan 2, 2020

Jtalbot

Excellent choice over the blue one! Great looking truck!
I'm assuming you're referring to the half shaft? And thanks! The truck is in really good shape!

Great looking rig. Love the leverne brush guard. Are you located in Tennessee? I’m close to Knoxville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm actually near Charlotte, NC but thanks! I love this thing lol

Chief B

Well boys we got her home Tuesday!
Just a quick note:
+ This thing is amazing
+ The horn is comical
- Cant see sh** backing up
- I bet tires are gonna cost a house payment a piece lol
CONGRATS... I am not sure how dead set you are on keeping everything "original", but I will tell you that one of the best things I have on mine is the backup camera. Mine is actually hooked up where it is on anytime the truck is on so it also works as my rearview mirror.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jtalbot

CONGRATS... I am not sure how dead set you are on keeping everything "original", but I will tell you that one of the best things I have on mine is the backup camera. Mine is actually hooked up where it is on anytime the truck is on so it also works as my rearview mirror.
I'm definitely wanting one! Got a video or guide for me to follow? I'm just wanting to make sure the Humvee is reliable before i start adding goodies lol

Chief B

I'm definitely wanting one! Got a video or guide for me to follow? I'm just wanting to make sure the Humvee is reliable before i start adding goodies lol
Unfortunately I don’t as it was already installed when I purchased the vehicle. I’ve been trying to figure it out myself for other accessories but haven’t been able to. They did install a converter with a 12v fuse box so I use that when I can.

I do know that it has an empty slot for an additional camera so I tried ordering one from amazon but cannot find one that is only 4 pin. The one I ordered turned out to be either 6 or 8 can’t remember now.

I can send pictures of what I have if you like. Someone before me put in a keyed battery disconnect and everything comes on with that.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well boys we got her home Tuesday! The only issue is the above mentioned boot and the gentleman was kind enough to give me a new half shaft (Will the H1 half shaft work?) Learned that the vehicle was assigned to a base in Tennessee and never left the states!

Just a quick note:
+ This thing is amazing
+ The horn is comical
I've gotten a few laughs from people when following a 5 ton in a parade. Everyone wants to hear the air horn, me following up afterwards with the "beep beep" of the HMMWV horn is usually good for a few laughs.

Backing is a major pain, military always required a second person to ground guide them into place because of that. As someone else mentioned a camera, I'm very much considering one as well.

Tires are surprisingly affordable, if you don't mind them slightly used. The military replaces tires due more to age than wear, so there are lots of places that will sell partial tread tires for these for a hundred or two depending on age and condition. Can even find unused ones that are a few years old for not much more than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately I don’t as it was already installed when I purchased the vehicle. I’ve been trying to figure it out myself for other accessories but haven’t been able to. They did install a converter with a 12v fuse box so I use that when I can.

I do know that it has an empty slot for an additional camera so I tried ordering one from amazon but cannot find one that is only 4 pin. The one I ordered turned out to be either 6 or 8 can’t remember now.

I can send pictures of what I have if you like. Someone before me put in a keyed battery disconnect and everything comes on with that.

Camecho has some multi voltage 4 pin connector cameras. Kind of cheap, but their stuff has decent reviews for the price.

Daves86

Nice looking Rig!!!
I have installed a backup camera but I put it on an overhead dash (B pillar to front windshield) so I can take it out if needed. I leave mine on all the time and it helps in lane changes very well. There are lots of ways to get the add-ons you want do the searches to see what's out there before you commit to a method. Also think about how "smooth these vehicles ride" when deciding where to hang stuff. Just my 2 cents.

Chief B

Camecho has some multi voltage 4 pin connector cameras. Kind of cheap, but their stuff has decent reviews for the price.

Thank you... I was searching by the brand of my monitor (Dallux) but couldn’t find any 4 pin ones. Want to add one to front for getting into tight spaces since my monitor allows me to switch between them. I added this to my amazon HMMWV list

Ajax MD

@Coug

Quick question about the horn- The horn on my wife's 998 works but is rather quiet. It can barely be heard over the engine at idle and cannot be heard at all while driving.

I realize that the OEM horn is never "loud" but would a fresh horn at least be heard while driving? I need to pass the state safety inspection, hence my question.

Chief B

@Coug

Quick question about the horn- The horn on my wife's 998 works but is rather quiet. It can barely be heard over the engine at idle and cannot be heard at all while driving.

I realize that the OEM horn is never "loud" but would a fresh horn at least be heard while driving? I need to pass the state safety inspection, hence my question.
I’m not 100% on the OEM horn as mine has never worked since getting her home. What I ended up doing though which can definitely be heard is installing a set of Hella horns, they were cheap and very loud.

Ajax MD

I’m not 100% on the OEM horn as mine has never worked since getting her home. What I ended up doing though which can definitely be heard is installing a set of Hella horns, they were cheap and very loud.

I'm a big fan of the "Jeep beep" but I think your idea is a good one. Install the Hella horns for the safety inspection and revert back to the Jeep horn *if* I can make it loud enough.

Chief B

I'm a big fan of the "Jeep beep" but I think your idea is a good one. Install the Hella horns for the safety inspection and revert back to the Jeep horn *if* I can make it loud enough.
You can always have both so that you have the loudness in the event you actually need it (and for the inspection), but still have your “beep beep”. I wired mine to a separate button that I mounted in an ammo box that I mounted to the radio tray.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Coug

Talking to the trucks in front of and behind me in the parade I was in, neither of them heard me when I used my horn.
I can barely hear my horn.

Just tell them it's "tactically quiet"
(don't do that)

Wire Fox

Mine makes plenty of noise. I definitely hear it over the engine and road noise, but it definitely makes the tone you describe. I like to call mine a "meeper." It's very soft-sounding, but plenty of volume to alert vehicles around me. There might be a difference in the condition of our horns or perhaps there's a bit of a difference in how insulated our cabins are (mine is very sparse).

crwray

Well boys we got her home Tuesday! The only issue is the above mentioned boot and the gentleman was kind enough to give me a new half shaft (Will the H1 half shaft work?) Learned that the vehicle was assigned to a base in Tennessee and never left the states!

Just a quick note:
+ This thing is amazing
+ The horn is comical
Very nice! Looks to be in pretty good shape. I like the rear bed cover alot!
Just picked up mine ('04 M1123) back in November. I have been slowly been picking away at stuff. The "Check List" I need to adhere more thoroughly.
Tires, tell me about it! If i get 4 new ones I am looking at $1.5k - $2k. I am hoping to shop around and find a better deal for some that have 80 - 95% tread left for much less. The light switch I thought I had figured out but I cant seem to get my brake lights to work. No combination of the toggle switches I can think will do the trick. Might be the brake switch itself. Anyway,...

Here are some pics:

Attachments

Last edited:

Wire Fox

Very nice! Looks to be in pretty good shape. I like the rear bed cover alot!
Just picked up mine ('04 M1123) back in November. I have been slowly been picking away at stuff. The "Check List" I need to adhere more thoroughly.
Tires, tell me about it! If i get 4 new ones I am looking at $1.5k - $2k. I am hoping to shop around and find a better deal for some that have 80 - 95% tread left for much less. The light switch I thought I had figured out but I cant seem to get my brake lights to work. No combination of the toggle switches I can think will do the trick. Might be the brake switch itself. Anyway,...

Here are some pics:
The brake switch is notorious for dropping out of adjustment and not being triggered correctly. Had it happen on my HMMWV while it sat for a few months without any use. Hit up the Technical Manual for a good guide on how to adjust the brake pedal switch. While you're reading through that...check out the Operator's Manual for a better understanding of how the light switch works. One half is blackout light modes-the other half is regular light modes. It can help explain what selection options do what things.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Definitely want to understand the lighting switch. Quick ticket or even an accident without the stop and turn lights on.

No need to draw any more attention to " It was camouflage and didn't see it" CAMO

Reactions: 98G

08hmmwv

Autozone sells shafts for 99 clams apiece.

You need two identical rear shafts as they are the same length. You need two different size shafts for the front as they are asymmetrical.

I think the autozone shaft numbers are as follows but I cannot remember which number fits which axle.

One of the shaft numbers is 16059n

Others are 16058n and 16060n

N might proceed the numbers. Going from memory.

Best, T
Do you know if they are 12k or 10k shafts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks