• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rough Country Lift Kits

coyotegray

What is everyone's opinion of Rough Country Suspension kits..?
My M1009 needs the springs and shocks replaced anyway..

I'm looking at the 4" with Rear Springs for my M1009...
I don't like the ones that use blocks.

imbobbbb

Ive run them,along with several other brands.They seem to be a good value and I havent found the ride to be any different than their competitors.I'm sure some of the high dollar custom springs like alcan may ride better but I haven't noticed any difference compared to rancho,trailmaster,or superlift and they're cheaper.

militarycucv

they not bad for the money.. there are in fact MUCH better lifts out there.. i have rough country on my m1008 and in the summer im going with BDS springs for a softer ride and more articulation!. if ur going for looks alone then rough country is your ticket.2cents

Cucvnut

I like superlift springs all shocks from the lift kit company's are the same. if you want better shocks you need to spend a little more. bds has free shipping to a bds vendor and life time warranty on springs and parts just not shocks.

OLDCHEV4X4

Your gonna need a steering arm too with a 4 inch. Or crossover steering.
I agree though... I hate blocks in the back too. It promotes wheel hop.

just a lil food for thought, but look at Offroad Unlimiteds rear shackle flip kit... gives you 4" using the stock springs... no blocks, no new springs, and less than $200 i believe... still rides stock, but has the lift you need... its the way i intend to go for my m1010... and you prob already know this, but make sure what ever you buy is for a 1-ton... the 1/2 and 3/4tons run the same kits, but 1ton is diff... i believe 56"x3" springs for 1-ton. vs. 2"x52" for 1/2 and 3/4ton kits, but dont quote me since its 3 a.m. as i type this... hehehe

on the bright side as far as wheel hop with lift blocks goes, the block kits are alot cheaper, and im not sure the 6.2 makes enough power for that to be too big of an issue... but for my truck, better safe than sorry. thats why im going with a shackle flip kit.

rnd-motorsports

1/2 ton or blazer lift is what you want yes the rough country lift is a good lift as stated some have a better ride and articulation out there but for a everyday drive and to put bigger tire on it a good way to go and yes far better then lift blocks!!!! you can get springs that have a better ride superlift is another.Spring rates will very a bit with the softer rate being the better ride .I would bet that the lift you asked about will give you a good ride from what you get know.buy the best shock you can aford and you will be happy.

Last edited:

rikinwyoming

I have been building "lifted" offroad vehicles for almost 20 years as a hobby, and have used kits from rough country, bds, superlift, rubicon express, etc. The rough country kit is good depending on your needs. You will get a true amount of lift, and the ride is decent. If you like rock crawling the springs will sag and settle in a little quicker then most, but you get what you pay for vs bds etc. Use a kit that is complete springs, do not use blocks as they will make your springs sag, axle wrap issues, etc. The ORU rear shackle flip is a good alternative IF your springs are healthy.

1984M1009

It rides rough rough off road

If I were you I would get a tough country and do a shackle flip in the back it will flex better than with lift springs and will probably be cheaper than the all spring rough country

Cucvnut

But he might want to replace the old springs anyways. I would still do a shackle flip with new stock springs or just new rear springs with the stock hanger location.

cfish

I just put a set of Rough Country 9000 shocks on my m1009. Of course the stock shocks were beyond gone, but the new shocks are like night and day. The ride is much nicer and it handles far greater then before. Haven't tried any other brand though.

Hogg

I just put a new 4" rough country on my M1009 and love it... It rides a little choppy but most lifted trucks with blocks and springs do... I think its a really good kit for the money, and the 4" gives it a really nice stance and plenty of clearance to run bigger tires up to about 36". I currently have 33's and plan on goin bigger as soon as they wear out.. Overall I couldnt be happier with it... Got it off JC Whitney

Attachments

coyotegray

I just put a new 4" rough country on my M1009 and love it... It rides a little choppy but most lifted trucks with blocks and springs do... I think its a really good kit for the money, and the 4" gives it a really nice stance and plenty of clearance to run bigger tires up to about 36". I currently have 33's and plan on goin bigger as soon as they wear out.. Overall I couldnt be happier with it... Got it off JC Whitney
Did you need anything that was not included in the kit..?