• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RPM vs Speed vs Tire size

Ford Mechanic

I like the idea of 395's, they equal 55 for 42 indicated? That sounds like the way to go and if you can post some evidence proving that, 395's are my next procurement project. QUOTE]

Kind of hard to take pics while running down the road :D. Mabey I can talk the wife into doing it this weekend for you:D.

I like the idea of 395's, they equal 55 for 42 indicated? That sounds like the way to go and if you can post some evidence proving that, 395's are my next procurement project.
Kind of hard to take pics while running down the road :D. Mabey I can talk the wife into doing it this weekend for you:D.
You really don't even have to go through that trouble. You can prove it mathematically very easily if you know just a little information.

For argument sake, assume the following:

Original Setup
Engine RPM = 2,500
Original Tire Diameter = 40"
Speed = 45 mph

Potential Setup
Engine RPM = 2,500
Proposed Tire Diameter = 46"
Speed = X

To solve for X all you need to do is determine the ratio between the original and proposed tire size diameters. In this example the ratio is 46/40 = 1.15. That means that your new top speed would be 15% greater than your original top speed. In this example that means 45mph * 1.15 = 51.75mph. This is the most simplified way that I can think of to estimate a speed based on tire size (it does not account for things such as wind resistance and rolling resistance that could restrict the RPM's from reaching the original level and it is assumed that these factors are negligible (for instance this method would not work well if you planned on installing tires that were 10' tall)).

So, if you know what the diameter of your existing tires are and what speed you can attain from them at a certain RPM, then you can figure out your new theoretical top speed based on the new tire diameter. A good source for tire diameter information is: Army Military Tires

[thumbzup]

Last edited:

SuperJoe

11Echo i also have a question. Using your posted data and substituting a 16-20 (@53") I am showing a speed of 82.9MPH at 2600RPM and an RPM of 2256 to maintain 72MPH. Aside from rotational losses does this seem accurate?

barefootin

Subscribed:popcorn:,

Right now I'm on stock rubber and I just stay off the highway. "Tanner" runs great and will pull hard to 2600. It seems happiest at between 2000 and 2400. 11.00-20's are in my future but more to get me to the 55-60 mark and the rpms lower. I have no need to go any faster, that is what the other toys are for.......

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Basic formula is:
rpm = (168 * mph * ratio ) / radius
Where:"rpm" is engine speed in rpm
"mph" is road speed in mph
"ratio" is product of all ratios, in your case ratio = 0.79 * 1.0 * 6.72 = 5.309
"radius" is the distance from the ground to the center of the axle shaft.
Or if you want to solve for mph then equation is:
mph = ( rpm * radius) / ( 168 * ratio)
my "A8" would go 74 mph @ 3000 rpm, but liked 69 mph @ 2700 rpm better. drove it 10,000 miles at that speed.
now it is 67 mph @ 2500 rpm with 14.5R20's

tom

Last edited:

SuperJoe

m-35tom you being the transmission expert i have a question. I believe the factory OD is .79 on the trans. That is what i see in your equation and also did a search and found your OD gear set thread. what is the trans number that has the od? i think the od ends with 3 and the non ends with 2 but i cant remember any of the numbers prior or where to look on mine to verify what i have

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
3053 is OD.
3052 is not OD.

Those numbers are codes as to what is in the trans. If you go to Spicer, it will tell you what those numbers mean.

rlsnide

16.00r20 1800rpm 55mph gps, gauge reading is 41mph (Mostly cruise on backroads)
2200rpm 65mph gps, gauge reading is 49 mph (Mostly cruise on highway)
2400rpm 71mph gps, gauge reading is 52 (highway if im running late to work)

SuperJoe

Ill start with the 9s then as its already installed. I have to also start with an engine swap as the deuce i bought had no power. The 5.9 will be mated to an allison auto, but no OD, out of a bluebird. I want to use the g56 6 speed but the clutch assm. is too costly as of now. I figure one thing at a time. Move, then move better, then move taller, then move faster. As we all know its a process. I have 4 16-20s and can source more cheap, and 5 395s all at 95+% tread and a line on more of those cheap as well.

hornetfan

calculating road speed

its an all can participate thread. anyone that has noted there speed can get in on this. there is no opinion or best, so far, and that was how it was intended. so we can share and compare ours to others. there is a formula to dictate the mathematical speed of things. i dont know what it is, but i wanted to compare it against actual real life situations, that have many more variables and across a wide range of locations and driving styles
I have a spreadsheet to calculate these things. I guess .xls extensions aren't allowed. No macros - just formulas. It includes a bunch of tires we've been discussing and several gearboxes including the Spicer. Email me or PM and I 'll send you a copy of the spreadsheet. I hope that's allowed -- I didn't actually check to see if I could offer a spreadsheet off-forum ;-{

hornetfan

You really don't even have to go through that trouble. You can prove it mathematically very easily if you know just a little information.

For argument sake, assume the following:

Original Setup
Engine RPM = 2,500
Original Tire Diameter = 40"
Speed = 45 mph

Potential Setup
Engine RPM = 2,500
Proposed Tire Diameter = 46"
Speed = X

To solve for X all you need to do is determine the ratio between the original and proposed tire size diameters. In this example the ratio is 46/40 = 1.15. That means that your new top speed would be 15% greater than your original top speed. In this example that means 45mph * 1.15 = 51.75mph. This is the most simplified way that I can think of to estimate a speed based on tire size (it does not account for things such as wind resistance and rolling resistance that could restrict the RPM's from reaching the original level and it is assumed that these factors are negligible (for instance this method would not work well if you planned on installing tires that were 10' tall)).

So, if you know what the diameter of your existing tires are and what speed you can attain from them at a certain RPM, then you can figure out your new theoretical top speed based on the new tire diameter. A good source for tire diameter information is: Army Military Tires

[thumbzup]
You want to use the tire manufacturer's Rev's per Mile value, NOT the circumference based on OD -- especially with Michelin military tires. The revs per mile is often quite different because the loaded radius is much smaller than 1/2 OD. Then take engine rpm and divide out all the gearing (tranny & axles in high range) to get axle rpm. Multiply axle rpm times loaded circumference and divide into a mile (using whatever units you used for tire size -- e.g. a mile is 63,360 INCHES. Multiply times 60 (Revs per minute vs hour) and you have MPH.

Plug the formulas into a spreadsheet if you get tired of punching the calculator ;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks