• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run gasoline or diesel in a multifuel

BKinzey

On a 4X4 board I frequent there is some nut claiming a deuce was made to run on gasoline or diesel or a mix. Claims there is a plate next to the steering column stating such. Further he claims he's done it.

I've already called him on it. So I could be falling flat on my face.

Is there any deuce that can pull up to the gasoline pump or the diesel pump, fill up and drive off? :roll: :roll:

bottleworks

I hope your face is ok after that fall. :wink:

You can pull up to the service station and fill up with Gasoline or diesel if you wish. Gasoline is not suggested for long term use. And yes, there is a data plate on the dash stating which fuels are officially allowed. Mine runs with no difference on gasoline then with biodiesel or #2 diesel.

sermis

During the summer I pulled into the gas station and put the diesel hose in and then saw that gas was about 50 cents less so I put the gas hose in from the next pump. A guy walked up and had a strange look on his face, asked what are you doing? I told him I could not remember what fuel it ran on so I thought I would put both gas and diesel in it and maybe it would be ok. The look turned to confusion and he walked off shaking his head. My son thought it was too funny.

jasonjc

sermis said:
During the summer I pulled into the gas station and put the diesel hose in and then saw that gas was about 50 cents less so I put the gas hose in from the next pump. A guy walked up and had a strange look on his face, asked what are you doing? I told him I could not remember what fuel it ran on so I thought I would put both gas and diesel in it and maybe it would be ok. The look turned to confusion and he walked off shaking his head. My son thought it was too funny.
rofl rofl

mutt1966

Iam asking this question because there is a significant MPG differance between a gas fired vehicle and the diesel running vehicles that Ive owned over the years same vehicle 350 chevy blazer and 6.2 chevy blazer same trans and gear ratios so has anyone done a MPG check on a multifuel when running gas or Diesel
Scott

MilitaryRestoration

Bkinzey...heads up...some guys are even running filtered motor oil in their trucks, bio, kerosene, all sorts of different stuff...should research it pretty interesting and you wont have to hit your head anymore ;-)

ida34

It should be noted that some multifuel engines have had the FDC (fuel density compensator) bypassed. These can only run diesel or JP8 if I remember right. The mileage you get depends on the potential energy in the fuel by volume. Ethanol provides less energy potential then gasoline by volume. In other words it may take 1.25 gallons of Ethanol to do the work of 1 gallon of gasoline. This is why your mileage goes down when burning Ethanol straight or in mixes. I am pretty sure that diesel has better energy potential than gasoline by volume so your mileage should go down. Diesel engines are a more efficient engine to begin with so that accounts for some of the difference between gasoline and diesel engine MPG. Again, this is a layman's view of how things work. I am sure a chemical engineer will step up to correct me if I got anything wrong.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
For future referance, the fdc just keeps the power output the same using "most" fuels. It has no bearing on multifuel or not. The machining in the piston head and the way the fuel is sprayed in the chamber, is what makes it a multifuel. the fdc works against wvo which is why I said most fuels.

area52

It should be noted that gas is supposed to be an "emergency fuel". Using it on a continued basis could ruin your IP due to the lubrication properties in diesel and not gas.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got done with a 200 mile trip with a lot of off roading, mostly with E-85 ethanol in the tank, along with some used hydraulic oil, diesel, and filtered motor oil. About 30gal E-85 to 15gal mix of other oils. Hard to start, and didn't have the same power (FDC bypassed) but it ran just fine, no over heating and pulled well enough. Haven't figured out the mileage. Like everyone said, MULTIFUEL. I bet it would burn ever-clear or 151 if you were willing to put enough in the tank to find out...

Yeah, I had several strange looks when I pulled up to the 'Flex-Fuel' pump in my 1971 deuce and filled up with that E-85... rofl

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferroequinologist said:
Like everyone said, MULTIFUEL. I bet it would burn ever-clear or 151 if you were willing to put enough in the tank to find out...

Yeah, I had several strange looks when I pulled up to the 'Flex-Fuel' pump in my 1971 deuce and filled up with that E-85... rofl
Now I wonder what that would smell like? And you thought deisel was expensive. :shock: Bartender, gimmie 50 gallons of Bacardi, please :wink:

therbert

I havn't pick my m35 up yet, but I had some pictures taken and " Diesel Only " is printed above the tank. I guess that means that mine has been neutered!!! Is there a chance that they didn't remove the parts requored for multifuel?

Thanks

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not necessarily. Back in the days of the "dual fuel battlefield", Diesel/JP-8 and MOGAS( normal gasoline) those 2 fuels commonly powered trucks, tanks, generators, etc... Commanders would commonly stencil what fuel is supposed to go in the tank to avoid "middle of the night I got stupid and put MOGAS in the diesel tank" type of mistakes.

I once had a soldier pour 5 gallons of water into a BRAND NEW 10K diesel generator in the middle of the night because he got stupid and grabbed the 1st "fuel" can he could find at 3 AM.... 10 minutes after he filled it, the genny quit. I get woken up, with a "Sir, the generator just died" "Did it run out of fuel?" "No, I just filled it up a few minutes ago" At this point I had a good idea of what might of happened.. "show me the empty can" "what?" "show me the empty fuel can" he brings me a 5 gallon water can... So I drained the tank, refilled with JP-8, and it cranked back up...

Small point..

Post pics of your FDC, we can tell if it has been bypassed or not.