• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

runaway engine?

zeisshensoldt

Yes. It doesn't have anything to do with you engine running away though.
So if i take a trip to the grocery store in the deuce I shouldn't leave it running while i go inside? I had a diesel mechanic who told me these multifuel engines were meant to run, not to be driven around like an suv, start, stop, start, stop. Is he right?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if i take a trip to the grocery store in the deuce I shouldn't leave it running while i go inside? I had a diesel mechanic who told me these multifuel engines were meant to run, not to be driven around like an suv, start, stop, start, stop. Is he right?
The main reason I wouldn't want to leave it running in that situation is because somebody might decide to jump in and take it for a spin. :grin:

zeisshensoldt

The main reason I wouldn't want to leave it running in that situation is because somebody might decide to jump in and take it for a spin. :grin:
ha, they might have one **** of a time trying to maneuver it around a parking lot. Still anyone with limited knowledge of these trucks would know they have a push button start, so regardless if it's running or not it's just as easily taken. When does it become too long of an idle, an hour? Should i just shut it off when I'm not in it (starter motor wear and tear)? Just trying to gather as much info as I can to save internal components. :grin:

Last edited:

crazywelder72

ha, they might have one **** of a time trying to maneuver it around a parking lot. When does it become too long of an idle, an hour? Should i just shut it off when I'm not in it (starter motor wear and tear)? Just trying to gather as much info as I can to save internal components. :grin:
zeisshensoldt, I'm right there with you. I am not afraid to say I don't know the first thing about this. But I drove mine for to the store tonight. It was a hoot!:jumpin: Then I took it for a few stops around town.[thumbzup]

zeisshensoldt

zeisshensoldt, I'm right there with you. I am not afraid to say I don't know the first thing about this. But I drove mine for to the store tonight. It was a hoot!:jumpin: Then I took it for a few stops around town.[thumbzup]
Did you leave it running at all your stops? Also, the fact that it needs that 5 minute startup/cool down period makes it a bit of a pain to take around places.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I reality you can fudge on the start up and shut down times when not running it hard or the engine is still warm when started. By the time you pull into the parking lot and find a parking spot your turbo should be cool enough to go ahead and shut down. As long as you're not it the store for a hour or so you should be able to start the truck, wait until oil pressure builds, and take off.

While the deuce can be easily started, a running vehicle just invites thieves and joyriders.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The issue with leaving it running is that some IDIOT might get into it and put it in gear......a 12,000 pound vehicle can commit a lot of mayhem in a parking lot full of sardine cans.......even if you chained the steering wheel someone could still drive it forward or backward.

This opens you up for a liability issue.......your insurance might buck on a claim if you were negligent.

Park it, lock it and chock the wheels......the world is full of thieves and inqusitive morons.

box 5 diesel

The fuel injectors on a Multifuel aren't controlled electronically as today's vehicles, they have mechanical links that control the amount of fuel. Basically the throttle sticks at full and you can't shut it down, except for blocking the air intake, which takes something very solid. Heard stories of them eating phone books.

Last edited:

appnut1

Usually happened to two stroke detroits when some one messed up the rack adjustment but bad turbo seals can cause it with any engine. Saw a continental suck a hole out of a wooden creeper when it went bye-bye

plym49

The following is a dramatization:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dps_x_spcN4[/media]

box 5 diesel

Usually happened to two stroke detroits when some one messed up the rack adjustment but bad turbo seals can cause it with any engine. Saw a continental suck a hole out of a wooden creeper when it went bye-bye

Yeah, The old detroits were notorious for that.

ODdave

The fuel injectors on a Multifuel aren't controlled electronically as today's vehicles, they have mechanical links that control the amount of fuel, often times the linkage will bind up and then you get what we see here. Can also be the result of a buffer screw that's been screwed in too far. Basically the throttle sticks at full and you can't shut it down, except for blocking the air intake, which takes something very solid. Heard stories of them eating phone books.
?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks