• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Runaway multifuel 6/20/14

roscoe

Sounds like the pawl on the lever shaft was not engaged in the slot on the control collar. This prevented free floating of the control collar so the governor could not control the engine, leading to full fuel when the lever moved the collar. I find a small mirror like a dental type is most effective to make certain the pawl properly engages the collar. Lubricating the pawl hole with a dab of grease keeps the pawl in position.
Did the control lever move freely before connecting the governor rod? It MUST be free, slapping from stop to stop.
I have a feeling that this may be the cause. It's just too coincidental. I thought I got it on right, but it wouldn't be the first time I screwed something up.

Keith_J

The lever shaft assembly should drop in and fit flush as long as the pawl is in the proper elevation as the slot on the collar. I can feel the added weight of the collar when actuating the lever with my fingers.

painter paul

I had a deuce run away once and couldn't get it to even slow down blocking off the intake with the cap off. Couldn't find any intake leaks either. Tried to put it in gear and kill the engine by pushing up against the deuce just ahead of me that I towed it with. Then I remembered that I took the driveshafts out when we towed it. I can't remember how we got it shut down but it ran fine later!!!!! Thanks, Paul

roscoe

The lever shaft assembly should drop in and fit flush as long as the pawl is in the proper elevation as the slot on the collar. I can feel the added weight of the collar when actuating the lever with my fingers.
I just took the cover off, and the two screws and connecting bar were laying in the cover. The clip was still attached and the lever moves back and forth. I didn't put that wire back on the screws because I wanted to see if everything worked first, so maybe they vibrated out, but it was only running for less than a few seconds when it took off. I'm sure it's something with this assembly that wasn't right.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a deuce run away once and couldn't get it to even slow down blocking off the intake with the cap off. Couldn't find any intake leaks either. Tried to put it in gear and kill the engine by pushing up against the deuce just ahead of me that I towed it with. Then I remembered that I took the driveshafts out when we towed it. I can't remember how we got it shut down but it ran fine later!!!!! Thanks, Paul
The reason yours and the OP's would not shut off with a block is because the fording attachment on the air cleaner was not blocked also. If you would have held the block and just put your hand over that 1.25" fitting, it would have shut off.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
check the valve covers. When the valves loosened they actually were denting the covers. Maybe yours poked some holes in it. With that lever assembly not in all the way, it wouldn't make contact with the fuel control block and would have caused your runaway. Almost the same thing that happened with my friends, both resulting in no control of the fuel supply.

Sounds like you have found the cause of your problem. Now you just need to determine the damage if any done to the engine, and if it will be ok.

tim292stro

And since you didn't get hurt take a moment to just laugh about this - think of how terrifying it was to have that big beast of a diesel engine out of your control in such proximity to you. That real butterfly in the stomach feeling is hard to replicate with movies :twisted: (I'll bet you had adrenaline shakes for a few minutes afterwards).

I agree there must've been another air source - if you could put the block of wood on and then take it off by hand while the engine was revving, there was another way in for the air. Of DD nV53, nV71, and nV92 engines, a common cause of runaway was engine oil getting in the intake from the turbo (bad seal), or the roots-blower (another bad seal). Diesel's are a lean burn engine, so any source of fuel will make the fire burn hotter and the engine want to spin harder - of course having a disconnected governor or a maladjusted fuel rack or injector stuck open (fuel contamination or collapse of fuel filter) will have similar effect. Using too much d@ng starting fluid will do it too:

Just remember, don't panic! Try to close it off and back away lest you get burned :burn:

acesneights1

This is what happened to me too. I would bet you dropped a liner and the motor is junk.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Disconnecting the in tank pump will not kill it.

acesneights1

Well you'll get to know your truck intimately when you change the engine. Post pics of the autopsy.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have(and many others have) driven trucks for months without an operational in tank pump.

Also, stop cross posting on this topic.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sorry to hear this. There is many things that can go wrong when you start a motor, this time it must not have been meant to be! You try to be prepared but its hard to cover EVERYTHING.

Sorry for your loss.

o1951

Look at the bright side. Worst case, another engine. It did not grenade, you are not full of metal, and there are no shrapnel holes in the hood or body.

Future tests, before starting engine, consider blocking off the fording port on the air cleaner.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worst case, rev it up, remove the mushroom, put your hand over the fording intake and shut it off.....

acesneights1

it can pull enough air even without that. I blocked mine with the aircleaner disconnected and it still ran. All I can think of was the steel plate I used didn't provide enough seal and also I believe it started sucking oil past the turbo seals under vacuum.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The moral of the story is it might not be a bad idea to have a CO2 extinguisher on board and handy at all times. Air leaks or no air leaks, a quick shot of that into the intake will shut it down no matter how it is running away.

roscoe

I don't know why mine wouldn't stop with the air intake blocked either. It's like it was possesed. I haven't seen anywhere, other than that little fording kit hole on the air cleaner box, that could be sucking in air.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks