• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

running a multi (LDT) w/o fan and or radiator

move it w/ no radiator?

• complete install first

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • just install the radiator then move

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • move it before installing the fan/ radiator

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M813A1

BE careful if you run the truck for more then 6 minutes a Diesel will start to burn up without the coolant in the engine !! A diesel is a compression ignition and it burns hotter the a gas engine and it does not take long to start to burn !! I would do like Heavy Steven said get a someone with a tow bar !!! no sense in burning up your truck's engine

saddamsnightmare

February 2nd, 2010.

It's your truck, do what you want to. BUT I would say even as heavy as these engines are, due to the nature of the compression ignition system, you do run a risk of contributing to a systems failure down the road. I've heard a lot of folks say that the Multifuel wasn't the best engine around originally, so what's forty years and no water going to do to it? If you must move the truck without the rad, find a CLEAN 5 gallon fuel can and cut two holes in it to fit steel tubing the size of the rad inlets and outlets, hook up to the engine and fill the system with water, the can will get you enough time with a full water system to get it moved to where you're going. Hit or miss engines did not have radiators, they just let the steam pass off and kept refilling the expansion tanks.

Just a suggestion,

Kyle F. McGrogan:)

combat32

when I was in the Army we used to ground hop them in the can before we put them in, no coolant, no fan.It really sucks to get one put in to find out it is a bad motor, didn't happen often but I have gotten a bad motor in a can(Bradley)

JasonS

BE careful if you run the truck for more then 6 minutes a Diesel will start to burn up without the coolant in the engine !! A diesel is a compression ignition and it burns hotter the a gas engine and it does not take long to start to burn !! I would do like Heavy Steven said get a someone with a tow bar !!! no sense in burning up your truck's engine
I'd always understood gasoline EGT to be higher than diesel. Also keep in mind that the diesel is taking full gulps of cold air whereas the gas is not.

I think the risk is small if you can keep the time on the order of a minute or two and the load light.

pjpiche1

Unless you truck is different than mine, my radiator installs with two bolts, two nuts with a spring, and two hose clamps. I am with Doghead on this one. Use a flashlight. This emergency is not worth potentially damaging your engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks