• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rusty, Recovry and Panzerwillie's Wrecker Builds

I measured them both. I wish we had the AC conversation earlier! I wonder if it would be easier to move the axle back of cut the fenders wide on the front. Here I thought this wasn't going to be a headache!

I'm really only concerned with how to safely and easily move the bed around to weld, work and mount it! Seems nice and heavy.

Brett

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you were not planning any driveline changes, I would refrain from moving the axle back. Shrinking and stretching driveshafts really adds to the budget. Even with me changing all my driveline around I opted to shrink the bed by 4". I am replacing the sides so it makes shrinking the bed a little easier. Maybe roll one of those big meats over to the bed and see how it's going to fit the fenderwell. If they are going to need trimmed anyways, open them up. You can always section a piece off and re-attach it once the bed is on and you can move it around.

Haven't messed with the wrecker bed lately. Been busy lifting the 08. Still need to find a solution for my front driveshaft. I've gotten some great info here but it looks like the cutting torch is going to come out to give me the needed clearance. Here's some pics. Front wheel well is about 48" hopefully it settles a little more. And here's the reason we aren't making as fast of progress. All my money is going to it!

Brett
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410127121.955922.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1410127139.652624.jpg

I hope that lumber isn't in a burn pile! That all can be used! Pull it out and set it aside.
Theres nothing good in there anymore. We have burned a bunch though. Hopefully the builder will get it all hauled off sooner than later. The pile is huge and looks trashy! (Pun intended) if your local you'd be welcomed to get whatever you could use

brett

Crash_AF

I guess I'll toss mine in here too. I had the frame stretched 4" to get the 60" CA

It's a 1008 with the 6.2 and TH400. Converted it to a 205 in case I go PTO on the bed. Also planning to add a Banks kit to it to get some extra power up here.
Bed is a Sonic Low Side with a 480. Bed is beat, but not rough

Debating between electric or trying to figure out the PTO from the 205.

Plans include a 12k HMMWV front winch, and maybe some kind of outriggers to stabilize for side picks. Haven't decided.

IMG_1334.jpgIMG_1333.jpgIMG_1081.jpg

Looks sharp crash!

I finished my lift finally. Took the cross member out and cut it with my torch. Lots it clearance now. Truck is a beast off road. Dropping bed off tues to get blasted. Will be getting comfortable with a cut off tool when I get it back to make room for the tires.

Drove the truck to work this week. 80 miles round trip. Does great. Drives straight and brakes decent. Only thing is that mysterious tick after lifting it. It is rpm dependent. Something is rubbing on the firewall. It's driving me nuts. I did get it inspected and should have it registered on Monday. I'm getting closer!

Waste motor oil filtration is in the works too

brett

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412394033.463352.jpg

Still working away. Going to do some welding and mods to the wrecker bed. It's currently standing on its front for ease of access. Cut the mufflers off tonight. Exhaust was rotted behind them. Sounds great now.

Brett

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks mean Brett. Did you do the double spacers on a chassis cab axle to get the tires on? I hope to work on mine a little this winter. Heat and injuries have kept me off the playing field for many months.

Looks mean Brett. Did you do the double spacers on a chassis cab axle to get the tires on? I hope to work on mine a little this winter. Heat and injuries have kept me off the playing field for many months.
Yes. It has a 2" against the drum, wheel, spacer, wheel. Not ideal but will work till I get the rear converted to disc. The wheel is to small for the drum without the spacer. One thing I'm seeing is the need to get my brake lines installed sooner than later. That are tight as can be. I've been daily driving it to work lately. Kind of getting to the nice weather time of the year. Once I get my spin on fuel filter installed it should make it easy to start too. I think I have a small leak at the filter.

Get healed up and finish your monster! That's going to be slick when your done.

Brett

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did my rear brake lines last month. Yeah, they are super tight in there. Still need to swap the master cylinder and bleed it. Might make andedicated bleed wrench for them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks