• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RV hook up to a MEP-803a

jimbo913

The jumper bar may not be copper and it could be missing (which is why I am warning you), but there are two small studs on the far lower right side of the connection panel. These studs are what jumper nuteral to ground when the application calls for it.

Blackbear

Well it is a large RV with two ac's microwave etc and the plug is fifty amp. Here's the quick rundown, pictures will follow.
i have proceeded to get a receptical box 70 amp, it has a 50 amp plug in it on breakers and a 120 outlet on a breaker.
i plan to mount the box on my men-803a front frame. The settings I'm using are the single phase was 120/240. The other choice for single phase on the selector is 120 volt only, " will this be enough?"
i appreciate the help.

Blackbear

I wired an outdoor 50 amp RV panel to my 803.

The panel I used had 3 outlets on it, each on a dedicated breaker. There was a 14-50R (50a 240v 4-wire), a 5-20R (duplex 20a 120v GFI), and a TT-30R (30a 120v camper plug). Seems like it was an Eaton CHU1N9N4NS or similar that came from the local home improvement store.

The panel also had some knockouts for expansion, so I added some more breakers and an assortment of outlets. Never know what you might want to plug in during an emergency...
What was your selector switch set on in the back panel?

Typically an RV with a 50A plug doesn't use 50A @ 240v to say, it's using 50A per a hot leg (120v) and sharing the neutral. RV AC units are almost 30 Amps a piece and if your running duals that would put you at 60A @ 120V if using only one hot leg. And then add your TV, radio, lighting and so on.

On my 802, I'm in the process of removing the wire boot(sleeve) and making a aluminum plate and installing a L14-30R twist lock to connect to the house. Figured that would seal out mice there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Blackbear

I am pretty sure your right, the champion generator I'm using now states its 120/240, I believe that's for the surge of the ac's. The plug being four pronged supports the two leg 120v. So am I correct in using the 120/240 single phase selector setting, with the mep-803A.? That wiring is to L1-L-3, N, G. I wired it up yesterday, and tested the 120volt plug in the 50 amp outlet box with success.
tomorrow I will test the 50amp plug. Any reason why I'm shouldn't?

As an electrician, always always double check your work. It's better to see an oops in front of your coworkers than turn something on and have a firework show, oh and an expensive day in front of them I had a brother in law (who figured he can do it better) back feed his house from a garage during Sandy. Well he took apart my cord I made him and swapped he the neutral for a hot leg. Well some lights were dim, others very bright, and the smell of burnt electronics filled his house. The generator made it, but he now knows what "X Y W and G" mean on the twist lock plug.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks