• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ryan's Deuce build

rmgill

Might I suggest the generator controls be mounted on a panel? That way you can service the controls easily or even disconnect the whole thing with a few pigtails to effect an addition if you so choose.

rronning84

Todays progress was in the cab mostly. I started to install the insulation on the ceiling and back wall. I also put new weather stripping in the doors. Added a 110 outlet in the cab and welded up new shifters for the T-case and the winch. Also added a Federal PA Siren system.
CIMG1079.jpgCIMG1078.jpgCIMG1076.jpgCIMG1081.jpgCIMG1071.jpgCIMG1070.jpg

Last edited:

rronning84

Here is the latest.

I found a vise on Craigslist and mounted it on the front bumper.

Got the inverter mounted but still have the to finish the wiring. However it is running the whole camper just fine.

Got the AIMS 3 way transfer switch and will get it installed tomorrow.

Also got the little AC wired. The rest of the day was welding on the rack.
CIMG1083.jpgCIMG1084.jpgCIMG1086.jpgCIMG1085.jpgCIMG1087.jpgCIMG1089.jpg

rronning84

Just an update. I have been living here in Alaska for 3 months now in the deuce and despite the winter I have stayed warm and happy. Everything is working weel. On a crummy note the number 2 cylinder in the engine is toast due to the injector sticking open and melting it. The engine is rebuildable but I will be time and money ahead on a new engine. It looks like a 5ton multi fuel will take its place.

Heath_h49008

Awesome! (Except the toasted cylinder)

Nice to see the build AND have a report on how it worked.

Anything you would have done differently after these first few months of hard use? Any new plans?

Carlo

Just an update. I have been living here in Alaska for 3 months now in the deuce and despite the winter I have stayed warm and happy. Everything is working weel. On a crummy note the number 2 cylinder in the engine is toast due to the injector sticking open and melting it. The engine is rebuildable but I will be time and money ahead on a new engine. It looks like a 5ton multi fuel will take its place.
Sorry about the bas news. I have heard this problem before. Did you hear a mis at idle or anything to lead you to this problem?

Ryan, I have followed this build from the very beginning and I'm very impressed with the work you did. I really hate to hear about the motor BUT I will really enjoy following the build thread on your 5-ton :-D. Please keep us posted.

rronning84

Thanks everyone. As far as anything I would change the biggest thing is I now wish I had kept the propane for heat purposes. The camper in general stays very warm except down by the floor. The floor was insulated very well but it just stays cool compared to the rest. Not sure how I will fix this yet. I also wish I had done more with the engine but I was really buying in to the indestructible stigma the engines have. I dont know if I could have frseen this anyway. I have searched but found nothing sofar as a good thread detailing a swap to a 5 ton multifuel. If anyone has a link I would like that. There are tons of engines here in Alaska as nothing went back to the south for the most part when these trucks were fazed out so finding one is not a problem. I have found several rebuilds in the containers for between $1000 - $1250. Now I just have to save my money to buy one. I will be having the engine installed for me as I have no where to do it and no way to lift one. The guy that is doing it though has built a pretty good business around restoring and selling military trucks though so I trust him and total price is $2000 to tow my truck to his shop and do the swap so I am happy with that.

Carlo

Thanks everyone. As far as anything I would change the biggest thing is I now wish I had kept the propane for heat purposes. The camper in general stays very warm except down by the floor. The floor was insulated very well but it just stays cool compared to the rest. Not sure how I will fix this yet. I also wish I had done more with the engine but I was really buying in to the indestructible stigma the engines have. I dont know if I could have frseen this anyway. I have searched but found nothing sofar as a good thread detailing a swap to a 5 ton multifuel. If anyone has a link I would like that. There are tons of engines here in Alaska as nothing went back to the south for the most part when these trucks were fazed out so finding one is not a problem. I have found several rebuilds in the containers for between $1000 - $1250. Now I just have to save my money to buy one. I will be having the engine installed for me as I have no where to do it and no way to lift one. The guy that is doing it though has built a pretty good business around restoring and selling military trucks though so I trust him and total price is $2000 to tow my truck to his shop and do the swap so I am happy with that.
Good luck to you and thanks for sharing this project!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks