• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sabatoge or Stupidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

trooper632

Ok, So I get the M1028a3 home, "Fluids Drained", So I fill the oil new oil filter, Water in radiator, Fill transmission fluid, 5 gallons diesel, batteries and after some playing with priming the fuel system get it started. Everything running good, go to shift it into drive and nothing, no reverse, nada. Fluid is full on the dipstick, crawl underneath notice its got only 5 transmission pan bolts in it. Ok so they drained it and didn't put the bolts back in, I tap on the the pan and its a "Thud" sound, not good. Remove drain plug it just drips out so I stick a screw driver inside and feels like a shop rag in there. I drop the pan and found these, WTH. Are these DRMO people stupid, lazy or just plain malicious, I don't understand it. Well I'm thinking the tranny is toast, checked all linkages so I called and priced a rebuilt turbo 400 taken out and installed for 1200.00, with a 12 month/12000 mile warranty guess that's where I'm going with it.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM TexAndy. He just bought a batch of HMMWV trannies and some appear to be fresh rebuilds. Probably a lot cheaper than your quote. He's located in Beeville.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sucks.. I'm going to pick mine up tomorrow from Hood and hope there's no issues. The fluids are good in it but who knows. :cookoo:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The DRMO guys or GL would not do this. Most likely whoever had it and wanted it gone to get the new equipment.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those look like oil sorpant pads that someone put in the pan so there would be no residual drips from a drained tranny. After you removed these pads, did you try the tranny again? It may not have been ruined.

Edit - Stonepicker beat me by a minute.aua

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed with Stonepicker, a minute of running with no oil will not hurt it. There are Hood "fluid drained" horror stories, to include holes drilled in axle housings and pick axe holes in pans. This was done by a contractor who was supposed to prepare the trucks for scrapping.

Jeepsinker

I doubt the trans is hurt. TH400 is near bulletproof. But if you need a new one PM member TXfirefighter , I just dropped off a full takeout 1009 drivetrain with him and I don't think he needs the transmission.

Crash_AF

Yea, the two disposed parts 1009s I bought a few years back had punch holes in the bottom of the power steering pumps, the transmission pans, and the fuel tanks. All had either rags shoved in the holes, or the little plastic screw caps. Make sure you check all of those thoroughly before you get too far.

And it was probably done by the unit disposing of it as 'not running/scrap'. You can't turn in any scrap with POL in it.

I also recommend putting a filter on it, filling it back up, and seeing if it works. I'll bet the tranny is just fine, but your story is a good reminder for those picking up trucks to go over them with a fine tooth comb before attempting to drive it the first time unless they picked it up as 'starts and runs'.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Standard operating procedure, rather than sabotage or stupidity, is my guess.

Is the filter installed?

Last edited:

trooper632

I did put the fluid back in and tried it, wouldn't budge forward or reverse. I had the truck started and running for about 20-25 minutes before I found the rags in the tranny pan, but didn't smell anything hot or burnt. I also could not see a filter or where one would go when the pan was off. I have changed filters before on transmissions on fords and the filter was very obvious, but did not see it on the cucv.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have changed filters before on transmissions on fords and the filter was very obvious, but did not see it on the cucv.
I would have looked at the -20P TM, to see what should be there rather than just bolt the pan back on.

If you had looked, you would see this;

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, maybe your pickup tube is missing.

I think we can rule out sabotage...

Last edited:

rlltide12

As stated, new filter, ensure the pickup tube is there and has O-rings on both ends, new bolts, and you are going to be hunky dory. Just did mine last weekend. Easy as pie. and all those parts are easy to come by minus the pickup tube and O-rings. A local tranny shop should have tons of those.

trooper632

Still wouldn't rule out sabotage, because the rags that were in there, as far as the filter, I know what they look like, wasn't in there. I'll pull off pan again and take a look

trooper632

Ok, looking at youtube on the turbo 400, It looks like I am missing the pickup tube and obviously the filter, Will be getting one and reporting back, thanks for the input guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks