• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SAE or Metric???

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got metric from 6mm to 20mm in both std and deep well for 3/8 drive, plus some larger sockets in std. In SAE, I've got an incomplete 1/4 drive set (std & deep well), in 3/8 drive I have 1/4 to 1 inch std & deep well, in 1/2 drive I have 3/8 to 1 1/4 in std and deep well, in 3/4 drive I just have a few larger std sockets. On the impact side I have 3/8 to 1 inch, plus 13-19mm in 1/2 drive, plus handfuls of open end, box socket and other stuff.

As my buddy Cokey would say, "If the cost of the tools is less than the labor charge to have it done, buy the tools and learn to do it yourself. When you're done, not only do you know how, but you own the tools to do it again." I think he has everything Craftsman and Snap-On ever made.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries, in our metric world wheel diameters still are made to inches... and even the best metric sockets are all SAE sized square drives - and probably will remain that way...;-)

G.
I wondered about that. I've never seen a metric drive ratchet. What about building material and iron pipe? I've never heard of metric lumber or metric water pipe.

It's funny that tires have mostly gone to metric measurements except the wheel dia.

Danl

Danl M915A1

hey m16ty you have a good point metic tools fit on 3/8 1/2 1/4 drive rachet, is the rest of the world buying rachet from the U S A or what ?

Scrounge41

I wondered about that. I've never seen a metric drive ratchet. What about building material and iron pipe? I've never heard of metric lumber or metric water pipe.

It's funny that tires have mostly gone to metric measurements except the wheel dia.
I have worked on some quadraplexes near my home that were brought here pre-fabricated from Europe and the lumber was metric.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Each system is only as good as the mechanic or wrench turner.
FWIW, engineers that work in power and energy hate the metric systems, the terms do not correspond and there are conflicting terms.

Now lets discuss, "US Metric", ISO Metric, and SI Metric, and ......oh well what a mess.

Bthrasher4

Think about what you wrote SCSG-G4. You used 3/8s and 1/2 in with the words metric...someone else said this too. The drives are all SAE...I find that kind of interesting that the metric using countries have not moved from the US drive system./

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Think about what you wrote SCSG-G4. You used 3/8s and 1/2 in with the words metric...someone else said this too. The drives are all SAE...I find that kind of interesting that the metric using countries have not moved from the US drive system./
Same questions go for...

Why are wheels always measured in inches. And why are spark plug threads always metric?

(that's a rhetorical question)

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... and if you use those wheels in the UK, you will drive miles from place to place, have 'construction' 500 yards ahead but buy petrol in litres!

Then there is temp.... when it's cold, temps relative to 0C (freezing) seem appropriate to me, yet when it's warm I think in terms of 80's and 90's F!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks