• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Safe road speed & licensing?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is licensed and driven on the road(700 miles last year).

45 mph is real nice. It will hold 50-55 also, but I prefer not to push it. Hills slow things down a bit.

The ride is pretty nice. I don't like getting in and out of it.

armytruck63

55 is safe but you will get the feeling the engine is about to blow up (50 is a little more sane). A buddy of mine had one licensed for the street in California. If you can register one here, you can register one anywhere.

Gamagoat1

Mine is licensed for the road here in Colorado.
I drive it 55mph with out a problem. Drove it from Denver to Kansas City, in convoy, at 45, Came back home at 55, no problem. Mainly because that's what it was built to do. I have had it twenty + years and the engine is original.

goat whisperer

The 3-53 is made for max. speed... 55 mph is no problem!
Just watch the temperature, oil pressure and protect your ears ;)
Use only Shell Rotella DD40 oil for the engine or equivalent...

1958 M274

Yes, they can be licensed. My biggest problem was the lady at the DMV trying to find Consolidated Diesel Electric Company under the listed manufacturers in the computer...

As others have pointed out, it won't hurt to run the 2 stroke Detroits against the governor. I've put about 3,700 miles on mine in the last few years, including hundreds of miles running wide open on the highway at 60, and have not had any problems. It still has the original engine that it was built with. These engines run on the governor for extended periods in stationary applications (pumps, generators, boats, etc.). I also have another 1,500+ miles in the three gama goats that are owned by the museum I work for. No problems there either.

frenchman

very nice ride at 50/55mph if you have a good front steering gear box , put a new transmition in the goat and it shift just like a sport car, my goat was never licenced before and it took some doing in doing that had to go to a different county and now have historical plate and cost 68 dollars a year to renew my goat is now all restored a very rewarding efford
just wish the goat was little more easy to get out of it
frenchman

saddamsnightmare

January 14th, 2011.

Dear Goat Whisperer:

:-D Thanks for the video, it gives a whole new meaning to "Screaming Jimmy", but I will say IT IS faster then a deuce, and I believe the normally aspirated deuces might have been a couple of decibels quieter in the cab. If they weren't such a h--l to work on mechanically, I'd almost think about getting one, but in Illinois I am pretty sure it's either illegal or too expensive to try that game..,..:deadhorse:

GunGuy510

For the ownership of the M35 out here in california, all I would need to drive it on the streets (once it is registered and insured) would be my normal class C license right.

As I understand, the gross of the M35 (A2 and A3) is around 23k pounds; so it should work, right???

armytruck63

First of all, welcome to Steel Soldiers.

I'm afraid I have a bit of bad news GunGuy. In California, if a vehicle has three axles and weighs more than 7000 lbs, you need a class B license. Also, California considers that air-over-hydraulic brake system on the deuce to be a type of air bakes. This means you also need the air brake endorsement on your license.

Where are you located in California? We have lots of members in law enforcement that can answer all of your licensing questions.

Last edited:

GunGuy510

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been lurking for some time, but I finally got the girlfriend to listen to my proposal. :) So now I can ask questions for real :)

This is weird??? I called the DMV some time ago and asked them, well I tried. Took about 2 hours on the phone (no joke) to finally find somebody who would answer my question. Anyway, when I described the vehicle as three-axled, air-over hydraulic brakes, and a gross well under the 26,001 limit, she confirmed 3 times that it was ok for class C non-commercial use. I must have said something wrong... Anyway, no harm no foul no money spent .... yet ;)

Anyway thank you for answering so quickly. As to the law enforcement... well that is my career path, hence my question. I have never heard about the 7000 lbs rule is it new? I am not worried about getting a class B license, just was hoping not to need it...

I am near san jose.

Last edited:

mendo

You may be able to convince the officer that the back is a trailer, then standard licence works. In my experience, I only get hassled if I am doing something stupid. no stupid, no problem. I have not had a problem yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks