• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Safety fuel shut-off

rustystud

014.jpg015.jpg

I finally installed my fuel safety shut-off valve. This is for "just in case" when I'm messing with the injection pump settings. Don't want any run away engines here.

AZK9

You guys are both giving me reasons to add to my list of things to do!! :wink:

Very nice job, Rustystud! [thumbzup]

AZK9

It could work as a theft deterrent too, just sayin...
I agree!

The more 'unconventional' (or less expected) things you can add to shutting down a critical system,
the less likely it would be for the 'bad guys' to succeed in getting away with the MV!

It would at least frustrate them and slow them down. ;-)

rustystud

Last edited:

59apache

Chipmaker
Sorry for hijacking....your idea is good and i also like the keep it cheap and simple way.
I just like the idea with stopping it from the driver seat.

rustystud

Sorry for hijacking....your idea is good and i also like the keep it cheap and simple way.
I just like the idea with stopping it from the driver seat.
I had actually bought a Cummins engine fuel shut-off valve, but I didn't want to be dependent on the electrical system to shut down. I do like that butterfly idea though. How much does it cost ?

Styk33

0 Star General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone looking for that valve that rustystud used, can find one at the nearest Home Depot or plumbing supply house. WOG stands for Water, Oil, Gas. Those are important initials when using a valve for this purpose. Full port is also ideal, as then the size of the valve is not smaller than the pipe it is installed in-line with.

HanksDeuce

I like the K.I.S.S. method.

See my build thread post #291 here for getting rid of the Cummins 6BT shutdown solenoid and using the factory deuce pull cable to shut off the engine.
See my build thread post #301 here for adding a $7 blast gate valve to the inlet of the turbocharger to shutdown a runaway. Cheapest solution I've seen yet.

To shutdown the typical engine you need to get rid of air, fuel, or spark. No spark in a diesel so you're left with air or fuel. Air is the easiest to get rid of. You could shut off the injection pump, but what if your turbocharger inlet seal blows and you start running off your engine oil supply? It always goes back to the air. Pull the cable in the cab and the safety pin pops out. The blast gate shuts. Engine kills. Now it's all fine in theory. I'm not willing to kill all of my intake manifold gaskets to test my theory.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks