• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

salt lake city -> memphis, Texas

Maverick1701

I also got my truck from boyce I traded my boat for it. I feel it was very fair. Mark is a great guy to work with. Just the othe week I got a flat a few miles from him without a spare( I know what was I thinking) but mark sent out one of his guys got me back to his shop and fixed my tire. I give mark all the buiseness I can He is a good guy. Good luck with the drive back be safe.
Mark is a really stand-up guy, i will gladly do business w/him again (once the money is there lol)

If you leave early on Fri morning, you might make it to Farmington by evening. There are quite a few good hotels in town with good truck parking.
Sounds good to me!

wsucougarx

wow $9500? A guy could buy 4-5 GL deuces on the west coast or 8-10 on the east coast and put a nice truck together and have 3-9 deuces for parts trucks:shock: Definately would have enough tires for the lifetime of the truck

Maverick1701

wow $9500? A guy could buy 4-5 GL deuces on the west coast or 8-10 on the east coast and put a nice truck together and have 3-9 deuces for parts trucks:shock: Definately would have enough tires for the lifetime of the truck

That may be a great option for most people on this forum, and I did look into doing something similar, but not for me.
I dont have the time/resources/patience to transport 4 M35s to texas from who knows where, wait for 4 EUCs and SF97s, and then pay for 4 state registrations.

Then on top of all that, tear apart all 4 trucks, then build a super-frankenstein-pieced-together truck....I would rather pay a little more for my instant gratification and peace of mind lol and buy 1 truck that is in GREAT shape and do regular maint. and fix whatever breaks.

Last edited:

trooper632

Ive been lucky in the two ive bought. no problems what so ever, spent a total of 873.00 for the last one. 9500 couldnt even think of it, hope everything goes well on the way back, wished I knew you couldhave had mine for 2500.00, a whole lot closer too.

Maverick1701

Ive been lucky in the two ive bought. no problems what so ever, spent a total of 873.00 for the last one. 9500 couldnt even think of it, hope everything goes well on the way back, wished I knew you couldhave had mine for 2500.00, a whole lot closer too.

That would have been nice, I would much rather buy from an SS member than anyone else. All of the deuces in my area have all been "bubbas deuce off the farm" and i can only imagine what kind of lack of maintinance they had seen or what kind of redneck engineering i would find.

Im paying a pretty penny but i am getting what is essentially a "rebuilt" truck.....42 yr old truck w/new parts.

Maverick1701

this is my proposed route for the trip when i pick up the M35 next thursday from Boyce, Equipment. If yall see any problems (ie. steep/windy roads w/no guard rails, etc) let me know....I am open to suggestions/ideas for alternative routes.

ogden, UT -> spanish fork -> helpner and wellington -> green river -> moab -> monticello, UT -> cortez, CO -> hesperus, CO -> farmington, NM -> cuba, NM -> albuquerque ,NM-> amarillo, TX -> memphis, TX

mapquest and yahoo maps say appox 900-1000 miles.
To make math easy I am figuring 1000 miles and assuming a low MPG (7mpg) to budget for fuel. And Im assuming 3.00/gal for diesel (its higher up in the mtns I hear)
1000/7=142.65 X 3.00 = $428.57 Im planning for $500 (for the murphy factor) but that is only fuel money (not including hotel or food but Im going to add that in too)

Last edited:

blacktop_one

You're good from Cortez through Durango and onto Memphis-only a couple of long grades between Cortez and Hesperus, but there are passing lanes there so you'll be fine. Maybe someone else has experience from Ogden to Cortez. Good luck and have fun!

Maverick1701

You're good from Cortez through Durango and onto Memphis-only a couple of long grades between Cortez and Hesperus, but there are passing lanes there so you'll be fine. Maybe someone else has experience from Ogden to Cortez. Good luck and have fun!
thank you sir!!
As long as they arent straight down, and there is a passing lane I should be ok....assuming murphey is somewhere else at the moment

Seth_O

I just did 750 miles (Ogden to Reno, Reno to Herlong and back, and then on to Sacramento) in an M35 I bought from GL. Absolutely stop in and see Markmontana's place in Ogden (Impact Guns) it's less than 5 mins from Boyce and you can see his slick truck collection and get some good G2 on the deuce, plus he's just a great guy to hang out with.

Running mostly desert and then over the Sierra Nevada's I got ~10mpg (almost on the nose) including hauling an M105 over the mountains. Truck pulled like a mule even on the grades. I did find that the ear plugs became painful after 9-10hrs, think about a good headset and bring plenty of fluids. This time of year you'll dry out pretty quickly as you'll have the windows down to ventilate.

Enjoy your trip, learn to love the right-hand lane as I topped out ~53mph.

markmontana

maverick1701 is on his way home! He picked up a really nice truck from Boyce- he should be good to go for his looooong trip. He should get better mpg than he is figuring, 9 avg would be my guess.

Let us know how you make out on the trip. Good luck!

area52

Update: Chris made it to Farmington NM today at about 4:30pm. We got a bite to eat, went to my place to visit my junk, er I mean trucks, and went over his truck a little. Took him to Walley world to get some stuff, found the trans leaking a little from the rear seal. We checked the level and it was a little high, drained a little, so he is gonna check again in the morning. He has 500 miles to go!!

Maverick1701

Man this trip has been fun. I stopped by daves shop and chatted with the him for a bit...and we also looked at mvs....very cool collection btw.
I spent the last part of this afternoon with area52 running around farmington. I had to pick up a few things from Wally world. I Also stopped at Napa and stocked up on stuff earlier in the day.
Like area52 said, I have about 500 miles to go.....

I can't post pics from my phone but I am taking a lot of pics/vids and will post up as soon as I get home

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks