• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saracen mk2, buying one for cheap.

NORTHWOODS

I have caught the green fever big time. I headed over this weekend to look at the saracen. Of course i took some pictures. The history of the vehicle is unknown to a large extent. It has been sitting around for almost 10 years. It did run and was registered for the road in 2006. The guy who owned it went away for unregisted amchine gun possesion. The apc was at this guys shop for repair as it was leaking fluid from the hydro system. It was running, my questions are as follows:

1. it weighs 20,000 pounds and will need to be towed, since it is an automatic how do i put it in neutral to get is safely upon a trailer?
  2. is 1,000$ a good price for a project like this, i thought so
  3. where can i find a service manual and parts for these
  4. any member out there that owns and works on one? I would love to chat about this vehicle.
  5. how do i find a data plate, i would like to know if this is a mk2 or not

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know anything about them but sure looks like a great project, and at $1000 I don't think you can go wrong.

B3.3T

Where to begin? $1k is cheap for a Saracen for sure, but be aware these are mega-complex vehicles, and 40+ years old to boot. First off, the transmission is NOT automatic. It is a very complex, very fragile pre-select with a hydra-static clutch. The brakes and power steering share a hydraulic system supplimented by three nitrogen-charge accumulators. Each of the six wheels has a reduction gear hub and bevel gearbox totalling 12, plus the trans, and the forward-reverse gearbox, for a grand total of 14 gearboxes, all with oil. The steering is via four wheel, and it is six wheel drive all the time. The excellent engine only puts out 160 hp, moving through 14 gearboxes, and 25,000lbs. Don't expect much performance. That's the tip...

Learn to love www.milweb.com Green machines has manuals. Marcus Glenn has lots of parts. You will need a bunch. Good luck.

deuceman51

Why can't anyone sell armor here in SD for $1,000?????:cry: You better jump on that, i'm sure that the scrap price is even more than that, but it looks in great shape. If it wouldn't cost an arm, leg, and my first born, I would pay the grand and ship here here.

davesgmc

to me, it dosent look like a mk6 from the inside, a std mk 1. but look at the turret. that is a turret from a ferret with the missle mounts on the side. it also has a browning mount in the turret, you can tell by the round hole in the front of the mount. for $1000, GRAB IT! as far as moving it, you can pull it up on a trialer with the trans in nuetral, and the transfer case, the forward/reverse lever in the neutral position. that would be the lever on the right side, just ut it in the middle. you better learn to drive it and see how that weird trans works BEFORE you try to operate it. it is just like a ferret in its operation pretty much. if you want, come on down to kansas city and i will teach you how to drive the ferret. the motor is a rolls royce b81 engine, they are underpowered for speed, but it wasnt meant for speed. the steering system IS complicated, but fix it is certainly worth it. as far as it being in a shop for a leak,,,its british, IT LEAKS! if it aint leakig, its empty!

NORTHWOODS

I am working on finding some one to bring it to my shop. Once it is here and i have the manuals maybe i can figure it out. Where are parts for the b81? I can not wait to get this thing running. Thanks for all of the input.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I thought it used the B80. Parts are very hard to find in this country. Shipping items [from UK] over a few lbs is expensive. Over 150lb can be very expensive. A bargain basement project may need a lot of parts. Anyways sounds like fun. Good luck.

davidkroberts

im sorry i dont have any experience with a Saracen but allot with Saxons and Mambas. Good vehicles all around but parts are a bear to get and being british they arent known for reliable operation. We repowered our Saxon with a 5.9 Cummins with Allison Automatic. Much better all around. I would recommend you find an old Dodge diesel truck on ebay with a 6BT and pull it and the auto transmission.
just my two cents. Great find

NORTHWOODS

Here is the beast, she came today, roll back tow truck had to go 35-45 all the way due to the weight. Now it will have to wait until the end of april to try and start.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks