• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saturn Surplus...

stumps

It's brand new, it just isn't aluminized like the stuff in your local auto parts store, so it rusts instantly.

If it bugs you, spray it up with some crap paint, and then it will be just like it was when it came from the factory ;-)

-Chuck

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your not happy with it, call them and explain the situation. Maybe send them an email with pictures? I have never been dissatisfied with their products or service.

For the price, I would be happy. As the others said, it will rust in a few weeks of use, anyways.

N1265

I have done business with them before and have been happy, But to spend $100 bucks for " new " rusty metal makes me wonder...

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little more rust than I would expect, they should have stated "some surface rust". Got a used gas tank from them once, still had some gas it it! Bonus!!!
Can't complain though, they have some of the best service and prices around!!

hoopsoft

If I were to see a part like that I would be more than happy.. I guess that means I've been around so many MV's that my standards on what is normal have been lowered.

I mean the name is saturn SURPLUS.

saddamsnightmare

November 7th, 2009.

I got a NOS muffler for the deuce from Sam Winer and it had a coupla small spots of rust, juts wire brush it and paint it with 1200* Black boiler paint. This stuff was made back in the 80's and 90's, and probably sat in a non-climate controlled warehouse. If you ain't pleased take it up with Saturn, they'll settle out. BUT ask yourself what joe blow mufflers gonna want to fabricate one from thinner stock that will last you about 2-3 years....?:?:

Good luck, remember, there's more rust on that Dodge then just on the muffler....!

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

DanMartin

That sucks that it's rusty....but it is still usable. I'd just go with it...

Here's an option for you...see if any of your local exhaust shops can recommend any shops locally that do ceramic coatings. Spending the $$$ now will ensure that this pipe will be the last one you ever need to buy for that truck..it'll last just about forever. They coat the inside and outside, and can do a black or silver-like coating if you like. Plus, as a part of the coating process, they blast and clean it for you. Just make sure it fits before it's coated (test-fit it and get it perfect) because it can't be bent or cut afterward.

I'm going to be replacing a few of the pipes on my deuce...and they will be coated to ensure they last (basically) forever.

Anyways, ceramic coatings just came to mind when I saw this thread....

zout

Easy fix as I can see - have had nothing but good products come out of Saturn,
Buyer beware - you have a pipe clean it up and good to go - really see no problem to post. Y pipes are used on what currently so they are expected to come in new ?? shinny ?
I know what to expect when I order from Saturn on a vehicle built in the 70's.

ctmustang

It's just a little surface rust. Go down to your local exhaust shop and see if they will make it for 100.00. I've never had anything but good luck with saturn surplus-Very knowledgeable and great service.:twisted:

tcody

If you want it to be perfect have it ceramic coated. Seems like you got a good deal - doesn't look too bad to me.

Elvisinmypants

I would be disappointed if I opened the box and found that, but it is surplus. My disappointment would end on my test drive after installing it. So suck it up put it on and burn some gas Soldier!

JAYHAWK 1962

A notice of some surface rust would have been nice. I have gotten some tow bar feet that looked pretty bad but with a few minutes in the blast cabinet and new paint look like new. so really no major problem.

StoneMill

Saturn is a great place to deal with. Been there in person 3 times in the past month. I'm sure they would refund the cost if necessary.
From what I see, a little blasting and some paint and it'll be like new. Ceramic coating would be even better. I've come to expect some imperfections with surplus items but they always seem to function fine...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks