• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sealed Bid Camp Shelby

3dAngus

You can check your bid history and it will say "outbid" for that event. 3DAngus, $2850 is too light for the wreckers, remember they tip the scales at 36,000 lbs and the scrappers are paying $2200 for 21,000 lb tractors. Hope they are asleep and you win anyway.
Yep, I bid the kinda bid where if I won it, I wouldn't know where to park it.

... and I lost the bid.

All it says is, "outbid". It's really a horrible system where people have to blind bid like that, and then, they get not feedback. If the winning bid was $11K and I was informed, then the next time I might want to bid $12K if I was a serious bidder. Bids would likely rise.

I'm not fond of this sealed bid process, even though I was NOT a serious bidder this go around. It was a tester for the time I may have to do it for real, which, now, I think I would avoid entirely for lack of feedback on what my efforts got me in comparison to a winning bid.

I opt all in favor of information. For all I know, they didn't sell at all, or GL made a mistake and it sold for $2699 to one guy who bought them all. No verification means no bid. I figure if I have money on the line, they owe me that much.

nridr124

im from just north of boston and a guy i bought my 5ton cab and chasiss from has been buying and scrapping for years he just scrapped 6 5ton dumps in georgia they buy them for ussualy 150 a ton and get 250 a ton he told me in the past few years now that govliqued is more popular every ones started to do it he dosnt scrap them all but he has a few trucks he works with and about 6 tank retrivors hes keeping for a rainy day **** he sold me my 5 ton for 1800 its hard to find a reasonably priced truck up here in the northeast all the trucks are pa or south so it cost us 3k just to bring them back thank god today i just picked up an m35a3 with 300 hrs for 6k hes got 3 more trying to buy asmany as i can

camp9

Same here, out bid is all it says. I bid 2300 on a non runner, so not sure what to think. I've already got one eyed for the next sale, so we'll see what happens.

swamped2

OK, here we go; This is what I bid: lot#1352 $2380, didn't win; lot #1355 $3260 didn't win;
lot #1366 $3840 didn't win; lot#1370 $3780 got it, looks rough but I have faith; I hate to say this but I also went a little above scrap prices, years ago when drms ran this you, had a good chance of getting good deals with this, was also sealed bid, like dice I guess. Hopes this helps, now I have to get this thing home and tinker

Attachments

swamped2

By the way I agree with 3DANGUS, would like info on bids. Would be nice to get in a ballpark figure with some of this stuff (if I missed it by $20:()

3dAngus

If I could find my reading glasses, I would write GL and let them know we are not happy with them NOT posting prices for bidders to see where they stand, and if they did, prices would go up next time on sealed bids when bidders are given a reference point.

I just cannot help but believe sealed bids on MV's work to no ones advantage outside of big time retailers and exporters, who have the deep pockets and can take advantage by bidding on multiple entries.

My suspicion is, sealed bids bring lesser bids than do competitive and open auctions.

p.s.. No eyes on but can type with fingers doing the walking.

swamped2

Tinwoodsman, no I didn't do inspection, not enought time, went by photo's, was trying to get one decent one and one for parts, was lucky before with m35a2, needed minor work(oil change,wheel seal,etc.)thing started right up when I went to get it. I've bought gen-sets before, (older A.F. models) some worked some didn't (locked-up) wish I knew how much I was off on the other trucks thought.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of those wreckers looked to have been sent there for a rebuild. Most looked to be sitting for a long time. Be cautious...wreckers don't like sitting for lengthy periods of times. IMO, you will probably have hydraulic leaks. You may want to carefully check all hydraulic hoses and fittings. Perhaps, someone has tips on starting something hydraulic that has been sitting for a long time. I have owned several wreckers over the years, including two M936A2s, and I NEVER had one that did not have some sort of leak. Things seemed to get worse after I had them because I rarely used the hydraulics (I did not have a regular need for the winches or boom). Good luck!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you either determine you have no leaks or you fix the leaks, I would suggest using the wrecker at least monthly to keep things from leaking (keep seals and hoses from drying out, etc.).