• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Securing a HMMWV

Pablo66

I use the cable around the steering wheel, installed a keyed battery disconnect, and have a brake pedal lock that's kind of like a "club." I also put a land mine under the drivers seat, you just have to make sure you remove it and don't sit on it
Where did you install the keyed battery disconnect? I'm wanting to install one in a "not so obvious" place, so the dash will still look original.

Those Military Guys

Supporting Vendor
If you were closer I would say drop of you hmmwv and we could design a nice clean lock set up that would look military so it looks like it belongs. It would give our engineers something new to design if anyone in our area would like to get a free setup so we could offer a kit for others, we just need a hmmwv for measurments and you get a free kit and installed if you like. just connact us via pm,phone or email
thanks
TMG
the kit would include your doors locking your hatch locking and a keyed battery cut off

Pablo66

If you were closer I would say drop of you hmmwv and we could design a nice clean lock set up that would look military so it looks like it belongs. It would give our engineers something new to design if anyone in our area would like to get a free setup so we could offer a kit for others, we just need a hmmwv for measurments and you get a free kit and installed if you like. just connact us via pm,phone or email
thanks
TMG
the kit would include your doors locking your hatch locking and a keyed battery cut off
I was planning on calling you guys about the battery cut off.. Hopefully someone close to you with a hmmwv can let you take some measurements. I'll call Monday or Tuesday to order several things.

blhar15

I bought a couple of keyed ignitions for mine. They look just like the original starter switch but it has a key. That with the combination of the keyed door locks should make it pretty secure. Also could add a battery shutoff somewhere.

Those Military Guys

Supporting Vendor
ok guys we have a slant back hmmwv coming into the shop later this week so we should have a complete hmmwv security kit put together soon which we will offer in a couple configurations.
thanks
TMG

IroncladGA

This won't help with securing the doors or rear hatch, but when I acquired my HMMWV second-hand, it had a kill switch installed on the body panel hidden just behind the pillar beside the drivers left knee. It's not rocket science, but also wouldn't expect folks to look there.

I never really spent much time to figure out how it's wired, I just know it works. However, I have learned the hard way that it does not kill the lights, just the ignition.

See pic below. This pic is taken from approx. the position of the parking brake. The switch is on the left hand side of the pic, about 2/3 of the way down. It is in the down (off) position here.

HMMWV Seat 2.jpg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The mods I have done for years are battery disconnect switch...this serves 2 purposes, maint on the truck is a breeze because you don't have to remove battery cables, and finally long term security and storage...no battery drain.

the other is to wire a discreet switch, even keyed for that matter that is tied to the injector pump fuel solenoid....if you kill the 24v to the fuel solenoid on top of the IJ pump, that trucks not going anywhere under its own power.
an intruder cranking it would kill the batteries and may even fry the starter...but that truck ain't starting.

i install all my battery disconnects under the passenger seat, right next to the battery compartment facing Into the first aid kit compartment, you have to tilt the seat back to reach it...it is keyed. The switches are available at harbor freight or any auto store for like 15.00.
get a heavy duty model.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We here in the cal guard had a hi strength chain (like used on weapons racks) bolted to the area by the shifter, then welded nut end.

There was a L shaped 1/4" piece next to the shifter, you ran the chain over the steering wheel (around a spoke) then the lock went around the shifter and through a hole in the L piece. Thus locking it in reverse and the wheel straight,
this would not let it start too.

Last edited:

GMVguy

Would something like this be a good way to secure the vehicle? Locking the Parking Brake in the Up position....
TM-9-2320-280-20-3.jpg

kojo0513

So been looking into this for awhile

A couple of days ago I saw a video on YouTube and a guy had actual keys for his rig. Instead of the flip switch it was an actual key.. Could anyone point me to the right place to buy one?

Also I've picked up the Helmet Topper (scored it locally for $400) and trying to figure out how to lock those side hinged doors.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432443619.345282.jpg

GMVguy

From what I understand, the keyed start switch requires that the original hole be drilled larger. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since that would mean that you can never go back to using the original switch, it's a no go for me. I'll get the door locks and lockable kill switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks