• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Securing trucks for Civilian Usage - how to?

bimota

To put these trucks into "normal" civilian use some security needs to be added. Locking doors, key starter (maybe), locking gas caps, locking rear shops, tool boxes, etc. Please post your security systems, steps, tools, products (saw locking handles listed recently), and other ways you have made you truck secure to park anywhere in New York City for a month :wink: Ok, maybe not New York, the point is a collection of functional and solid security solutions will help forum members put these trucks to work supporting many civilian uses. Thank you for the contributions.

I've always been rather partial to the original steering wheel chain welded to the front of the driver's seat frame. All I had to do was get a couple padlocks and my deuce is fairly secure. Another good security measure allthough unintentional is the fact that the passenger door on my deuce doesn't open from the outside. The Driver's side doesn't open unless there is some inward pressure put on the handle when turning. Sometimes I forget and I have to push in and turn it again. If someone were to try and do a rolling carjack on me, they would make it to the step and while hanging there, they wouldn't be able to open the door before I could feed them a mouthful of tire-buddy!
At some point after my deuce left military service, someone drilled a couple 1/2" holes above and below the latch handle in the door to the left step box, and bolted 3 links of chain on a bolt through the rear of the box behind the latch, and then squashed the remaining bolt threads so the bolt couldn't be removed no matter how much someone were to spin it. I just put a long-loop padlock through the holes around the latch handle, slip on the last chain link and snap the lock. My step box is secure.

bimota

Looking for serious and elegant solutions

Guys, I appreciate the suggestions and I have searched the site - what is needed are elegant solutions that will function for a service team using the vehicle in a professional environment.

I can't send my team to a job site and have them whip out a chain and throw it around a lamp post and say - ok our $155,000 machine shop is now secure. Plus the $50,000 in American Made hand tools in the back - no worries. You get the picture, I want and I bet others want to find - Freightliner, Snap-on, Matco grade solutions.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, I appreciate the suggestions and I have searched the site - what is needed are elegant solutions that will function for a service team using the vehicle in a professional environment.

I can't send my team to a job site and have them whip out a chain and throw it around a lamp post and say - ok our $155,000 machine shop is now secure. Plus the $50,000 in American Made hand tools in the back - no worries. You get the picture, I want and I bet others want to find - Freightliner, Snap-on, Matco grade solutions.
Buy a surplus Brinks truck or insurance . Locks only keep a honest person out

Last edited:

colelkhunter

In the classified section there is a member selling keyed door locks and keyed battery disconnects. Install the keyed battery disconnect in the stock main power switch and you effectively have an ignition switch. No power, no worky. As was said before the locks will just keep honest folks honest. The best preventative for vehicle theft will be the chain, which is why the military uses that. Most car thieves are unprepared for a hardened 1/2" chain and a master lock. You will also find that no matter what you do a determined thief will gain entry. Military vehicles are typically protected by rifle wielding soldiers, no need for serious security measures. Pursue your own devices and let us know what you come up with, by all means. Just know, nothing will deter determination and a sledge hammer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Locking garage door handles work. Do a search. I put some on my 932

Those may not be elegant enough.

If you need something to operate in a professional environment, why are you dealing with a few thousand dollar piece of surplus? Is this machine for form or function? If commercial solutions from Freightliner, Snap-On and Matco is what you want, send your team in with some class not some surplus if that's what you are seeking.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Are civilian trucks available in configurations remotely comparable to our tactical military trucks? Why should we fault somebody for building a versatile work machine out of a $10k surplus tactical military vehicle, rather than buying a shiny $100k over the road truck with less capability? I don't think that the non-supportive comments in this thread are at all helpful.

Regarding garage door locks, I consider those to be a poor solution. Those things are flimsy, and don't allow the doors to be locked or unlocked from the inside, or without a key. If I was a thief and came across a vehicle secured by a garage door lock, I'd attack the lock before bothering to turn my attention to the glass window above it. Might as well just put a padlock on the outside of the door.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are civilian trucks available in configurations remotely comparable to our tactical military trucks? Why should we fault somebody for building a versatile work machine out of a $10k surplus tactical military vehicle, rather than buying a shiny $100k over the road truck with less capability? I don't think that the non-supportive comments in this thread are at all helpful.

Regarding garage door locks, I consider those to be a poor solution. Those things are flimsy, and don't allow the doors to be locked or unlocked from the inside, or without a key. If I was a thief and came across a vehicle secured by a garage door lock, I'd attack the lock before bothering to turn my attention to the glass window above it. Might as well just put a padlock on the outside of the door.
Nor are the non supportive comments on the suggestions for security.
Several folks have made suggestions for functional means of security and each has been blown off. The OP asked, folks responded and the OP mocked the suggestions. If the suggestions here are on par with a chain around a light pole, I'm sure the OP can come up with something more elegant than we can.

KsM715

There are civilian 6x6 trucks out there that will out do our "surplus" trucks in security, comfort,and reliability. Yes, they also cost more but if your already 75k deep into some job I would go with quality over "coolness" any day.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the mods I have seen will at best "deter" a thief. I would say anyone with a knowledge of these trucks could take it at will. A keyed ignition is easily bypassed. The kill cable locks can be bypassed by just opening the side cover and clipping the cable with a dikes and pushing the remaining cable forward. Door locks can be unscrewed in a minute. Chains or hasps can be finished with a battery powerd 4" grinder with a cutting wheel.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Most of the mods I have seen will at best "deter" a thief. I would say anyone with a knowledge of these trucks could take it at will. A keyed ignition is easily bypassed. The kill cable locks can be bypassed by just opening the side cover and clipping the cable with a dikes and pushing the remaining cable forward. Door locks can be unscrewed in a minute. Chains or hasps can be finished with a battery powerd 4" grinder with a cutting wheel.
Well that's just GREAT!!
Now you've told everyone that didn't already know how to steal our stuff!!

Attachments

flibob

The low lifes in most cities can get into the snapon truck if you leave it unattended. These are the guys you are supporting when you buy those cheap tools from the guy your brother-in-law knows.
Paint it like a MV and they might not mess with it in daylight.
Good luck!

caliber1

I have a lock on the battery box door also. Hmm, just gave me an idea though, will call one of my suppliers tomorrow and get some "theft deterrent bolts" for the door handles, and the bits to install of course. Pretty sure everyone won't want to bring their truck to me for installs.:roll: They are gonna have to work to get mine, just sayin.

Hmm, might put an alarm on the low air buzzer that could be disabled with a hidden switch too. That way they can dodge lead on the way out the drive after I hear it.

Last edited:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
A car alarm that sets off a train horn inside the cab might not keep them from stealing tools, but it'll make the truck hard to drive.

Stalwart

I have contemplated retrofitting my M923 with commercial-style door locks, compartment locks and keyed ignition switch. I haven't done it yet, and it won't even make sense until I get a hard top for it. Here's a manufacturer that I found a while back who makes commercial door locks as used on semis, fire trucks, etc.:

TriMark Corporation - Latch, Handle, Linkage, Electronic, Hinge, Vehicle door hardware
Right, they have locking handles for MANY applications. My HEMTT is secured by flush mounted paddle handles with barrel style keys and locks, plus a keyed ignition switch. Most of those expensive over the road trucks can be broken into with a 18" flat pry-bar . . . as can be my HEMTT. It is a clean install but still can be defeated by those sufficiently inclined.

I believe the OP is a bit condescending as well. :roll:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just connect a towbar and go. No key needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks