• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Securing trucks for Civilian Usage - how to?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There is NOTHING that can not be stolen if someone wants it bad enough, If you are that worried, sleep in the darn truck, If they shoot you and take the truck, you will have more to worry about (if you live) then the truck.

Danl

Danl M915A1

I have job trailers locked up Hard and what the bad boys do tha cut a hole in the roof and cleaned it out If thay want in thay get in. You got a moboil shop stop working 20 mimits early and pack up the truck and drive it home. thats why its a moboil shop

Last edited by a moderator:

dikwks

Any defensive measure can be defeated. Go for defense in depth; give the thief multiple defenses to overcome. Locking doors, locking switches, hidden switches, chains, hidden valves, etc.. Most thieves want to get in and get out quick; make them spend that precious time. :twisted:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really don't see how locking a fuel tank would keep somebody from stealing fuel. If I was stealing fuel from a MV (even if the cap was open), I'd either just take out the drain plug or punch a hole in the bottom of the tank. That way I wouldn't need a pump or a siphon hose and risk getting a mouth full of fuel.

I guess a locking cap would keep somebody from dumping something into the tank but any crook with half a brain could still get the fuel out easier than going through the cap.

steelandcanvas

...what is needed are elegant solutions that will function for a service team using the vehicle in a professional environment.
Dang, I just can't think of anything elegant when it comes to an MV, except my wife sitting beside me as I drive it.

I want and I bet others want to find - Freightliner, Snap-on, Matco grade solutions.
Not to be disrespectful, but did you search these sources as a answer to your problem?

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, I appreciate the suggestions and I have searched the site - what is needed are elegant solutions that will function for a service team using the vehicle in a professional environment.

I can't send my team to a job site and have them whip out a chain and throw it around a lamp post and say - ok our $155,000 machine shop is now secure. Plus the $50,000 in American Made hand tools in the back - no worries. You get the picture, I want and I bet others want to find - Freightliner, Snap-on, Matco grade solutions.
I put a deadbolt in an M35 door. I considered it secure as a 'lock' because it would have taken a big crowbar to force the door open.
http://bunkerofdoom.com/mil/m35/lock/index.html
It's not a pretty job but you can have a machinist improve the design for you.

If you want a whole vehicle solution, then you must combine several systems at different levels. If you don't know how, try looking up vehicle security companies that handle costly vehicles.

1. if alarms do not use 24 volts, then you should put in a 24/12 volt converter to keep a separate 12v car battery charged. secure the battery in a box with a lock. Make the alarm power source separate from the starting batteries and inaccessible or hidden. put the alarm brain in there. Use a wireless alarm that informs your crew members, all of them, that the alarm has gone off and has not been properly disarmed. Today these things can even send text messages ans e-mails. The alarm also needs a siren.. as usual. but it is the enhancements that matter. You have to put a door switch on every hatch that allows access into the truck. Use passive IR motion sensors on the outside, to make it chirp when someone approaches. add a vibration sensor to detect noises caused by someone breaking in. Put deadbolts on all the access doors. It doesn't matter how much money you have or what the goods cost. Aside from keeping a hungry crocodile inside the van when unattended, there is only so much you can do. The true experts in vehicle security and protection system integration probably won't be found here on this board.

2. track it. There is a product called skylink you can get at any Ford dealer, or online. It is a combination cellphone and GPS. It does need to see the sky.. but it has very good coverage for the cellphone part. You can pay each month to have a web interface where you can see the vehicle location at all times. You can set boundaries for it, etc. It is only $700-900. No monthly fee unless you want the web interface. Normally users call the 800 number when their vehicle is stolen.

3. buy a commercial tracking system like 18 wheelers have. add that to the pot.

if it is unattended and there is no employee available to fend off burglars or call police, then thre is nothing you can do except maker it hard to break into.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks