• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Securing your MTVR? anyone installing locks? ignition keys?

DirtyDirk

What is everyone doing for ignition key, door looks etc if anything? Are you using the old locking bar through the steering column?

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I was looking through photos of Marines and their 7 Tons (my favorite thing to do) and I noticed in one photo how their secure the cab of their trucks. They just use a chain and a lock. The chain should be over 28 inches long.

IMG_20200209_145129.jpg

I recommend a lock instead of the twig I used. I would not leave the chains on while driving but when parked this will keep most people out.

TehTDK

My plans are a keyed ignition switch, lockable door handles and then combat locking the passenger door from the inside so that it can't be opened even if the handle is unlocked and tugged on. And then in addition to that lock up my toolboxes.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The door latch looks like there is a blank for a key lock. I would guess the latch is a civilian item that Oshkosh sourced from a supplier to the automotive market. Odds are the latch is available with a key.

MAdams

DirtyDirk

MTVR

The door handle with lock is available, just not cheap at over $100 each. Here is a link https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oshkosh-31...050096?hash=item41d76bf270:g:IRoAAOSwcj1aQ655

The striker plate is available too. https://mpparts.com/part/oshkosh-3192882-cab-door-striker-3192882

I am buying the air brake knob lock too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
I think 3196615 is the right door handle- what about the left one?

MTVR

We locked ours up last night by chaining up the outside handles as depicted above.

I just got off the phone with a "Mike" at Oshkosh Defense, who is looking into finding us locking outside door handles. He pulled up the technical drawings on the door handles that the MTVR comes with, as well as pulling up the technical drawing for locking door handle # 3196615, and he says they appear to be slightly different size/shape, which causes him to wonder if will actually fit our vehicles.

Has anyone actually tried 3196615 in an MTVR?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Generic car alarm with magnet sensors. Placed inside the door and a normal keyfob to arm and disarm it. Just rig it into the trucks electric horn.

You should leave your tanks open everytime you park the truck for long periods to make it harder to take.

As well as a battery disconnect or even double disconnect.

Starter switch is the same standard unit made by Cole Harsee that has a key type available

Suction line from the fuel tank I am sure is JIC, install a shut off valve at the Suction line and remove the handle for long term non usage or install a shut off valve that takes a certain keyway type wrench

MTVR

Excellent stuff, Wes.

Do you have a part number for the keyed Cole Hersee ignition switch?

I'm looking at pictures, and I suspect that the correct switch is one of the ones with a "956" prefix...

Last edited:

MTVR

It looks like the Hawk Extreme firefighting vehicle from Oshkosh's Pierce division, is simply an MTVR in drag, and photos of the Hawk Extreme show key locking outside door handles.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Excellent stuff, Wes.

Do you have a part number for the keyed Cole Hersee ignition switch?
If you can snap a pic of the backside prongs I will be able to narrow it down as far as connections. Or any number off the ones in the truck.

This one below is the key version of the M1070 HET, M977 series HEMTTs, and PLS trucks. I would assume Oshkosh would stay in the same category as parts for the MTVR

Cole harsee# 956-3125BX

Attachments

MTVR

Okay, I've got a Pierce dealer parts department employee working on the locking door handles. I'll give an update when that information becomes available...

MTVR

Working on some possible matches for a non-vented locking gas cap:

Velvac # 600169-6
PDC # 600169-6
Sloan # 431006
Stant # 10419

They are 4" diameter, 8 threads per inch, and non-vented.

I have not physically confirmed that these will work...

Last edited:

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a thread about locking gas caps.

Also, lest we forget, the "official" way to secure the trucks is to put the rod through the steering column with the steering wheel turned and then put a lock on the rod. The rod is kept under the dash close to where you would put it through the steering column.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks