• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Securing your MTVR? anyone installing locks? ignition keys?

MTVR

There is a thread about locking gas caps.

Also, lest we forget, the "official" way to secure the trucks is to put the rod through the steering column with the steering wheel turned and then put a lock on the rod. The rod is kept under the dash close to where you would put it through the steering column.
Yeah, I got that too...

MTVR

So I had part of an idea- I notice that the plaque for the battery switch kind of calls attention to the fact that...it's the battery switch. So I picked up a spray can of that Plasti-Dip type stuff, and blacked it out. We still know what it is, how to use it, and how not to use it, but the casual car thief won't.

This stuff will peel off easily later if we want, without any damage to the plaque.

We're going to throw a padlock on the switch too (the black-colored Master 131 with the 5mm shank like mentioned earlier).

And for what it's worth, we tried the 141 with the 6mm shank, and it doesn't fit.

Attachments

Last edited:

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
The worst part about MVs is that fact that it’s easy to steal, I like blocking out the Relays in the dash with toggles. But at the end of the day all it does is keep an honest man honest because a determined thief will take it regardless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTVR

I ended up going with combination padlocks- I got a small black one for the battery switch, and a much more substantial one for the OEM steering column lock. That way I could give them similar combinations, without having to carry 2 more keys.

And I decided against locking the battery box- the battery box itself is probably more expensive than the two batteries that are in it, and the battery box would definitely be more difficult to find a replacement for.

I also found a new Sloan #431006 locking gas cap on ebay for $20 with free shipping. When it gets here, I'll let you guys know if it fits...

MTVR

Just a quick update on the locking door handles- the Pierce parts guy has sent me a parts diagram of the Pierce Hawk Extreme. I sent him a pic of the MTVR outside door handle. He's still working to identify the left locking door handle. I'll update when new information becomes available...

DirtyDirk

Im following this one closely... so far i have 1. " the club" through the steering wheel. 2. Pad lock through steering column 3. Padlock on battery power switch. 4. Jayco airbrake knob lock. I havent wrapped the cab in concertina wire or put the claymores facing each door so you have to climb through the roof hatch

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
and to our MTRV here in greece we lock whith the simple way(marine way):mrgreen:
WOW! stathis, I have seen photos of the Greece ones before and they are really nice. The improvements/changes you guys made are really nice.

Thank you for posting the photo and I hope you can keep us informed about what is happening over there.

Jon

MTVR

I just heard back from Oshkosh Defense, regarding the key-locking exterior door handles. The part numbers are 3506900 and 3506901. At least one of those has an NSN number.

They also referred me to a distributor to buy them from. I spoke to the distributor, and they're going to get back to me with price and availability for them.

I'll keep you guys advised...

stathis

if is good price ok,if is not,in this cases, here is very popular something like that

20190918181634_asfaleia_thyron_louketou_zeygos_25224.jpeg

is too much cheep solution(arround 2$) but it works too;)
aaa..and one good padlock:mrgreen:

MTVR

That's good news. It would be great to have locking handles - I just hope it is a good price.
I just got the price quote for the door handles- they are about $385 for the pair. I've asked if they can do better on the price, but I'm wondering if there are any other sources for Oshkosh parts that we should be checking. Anybody got a good vendor they wanna recommend?

DirtyDirk

I just heard back from Oshkosh Defense, regarding the key-locking exterior door handles. The part numbers are 3506900 and 3506901. At least one of those has an NSN number.

They also referred me to a distributor to buy them from. I spoke to the distributor, and they're going to get back to me with price and availability for them.

I'll keep you guys advised...
Did they give you a parts distributor that will sell to you I went through this with Oshkosh defense and they said the distributors are "the army, the Navy and the marines... I did eventually find optimum vehicle logistics but you need a CAGE ID... so i am working on my government contractor paperwork in order to be able to buy parts from them... if any of you find another source that would be great if you would share it with us

DirtyDirk

I just got the price quote for the door handles- they are about $385 for the pair. I've asked if they can do better on the price, but I'm wondering if there are any other sources for Oshkosh parts that we should be checking. Anybody got a good vendor they wanna recommend?
Who was the quote from? can you share the link?

MTVR

Once I've made a purchase to confirm their representation that they will sell to private individuals, I will share that information.

Can anyone else do better on the prices for those part numbers, to private individuals?

MTVR

They gave me a small discount, so I went ahead and just ordered them. Including shipping, it's going to be roughly $400 or so for the pair.

My next update on this may not be soon- this particular vendor was willing to sell to me as a private individual, but because the parts are coming from Oshkosh Defense, there is a QC process on their end that may take several weeks, before my parts are even shipped...

MTVR

Oshkosh Defense said that's the wrong part.

The ones that I ordered come with keys.

I don't know if they're going to come keyed the same, but if it's like any other vehicle door lock cylinder I've dealt with in the last 40 years, any locksmith should be able to recode one to work with the other key. And even if they can't, I still would have bought them anyway...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks