• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seized ether start solenoid

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Solenoid/valve is seized. Before trying to source a new one I figure I'll try and rebuild. I was able to get the solenoid off the bottom but it appears the valving may come apart. Curious if anyone has any experience with these? I tried a pipe wrench and no joy there, but it may have a ton of threadlock (the solenoid did.
Notice the crusty blue stuff in the valve.

Attachments

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You’ve peaked my interest. I’ve never needed to use it but definitely want mine in working condition. How did you test it and discover it was seized up?

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You’ve peaked my interest. I’ve never needed to use it but definitely want mine in working condition. How did you test it and discover it was seized up?
Just put power to the connector at solenoid connector and got no click from solenoid(did see sparks indicating solenoid is good)

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So my 2003 probably looks the same. If you find a good part number and a source to purchase it, please share. So rebuilding it is out of the question?

NotThatGuy

Solenoid/valve is seized. Before trying to source a new one I figure I'll try and rebuild. I was able to get the solenoid off the bottom but it appears the valving may come apart. Curious if anyone has any experience with these? I tried a pipe wrench and no joy there, but it may have a ton of threadlock (the solenoid did.
Notice the crusty blue stuff in the valve.
It'd make it easier if you'd post the year and model of truck you have.

When trying to disassemble the Valve try to fine a solvent/cleaner that will break down the dirt/corrosion and not hurt the Valve or the medium that the Valve controls, (I.e. oil, water, fuel etc).

The Solvent also needs to be compatible with the material that the Valve is made out of. I've seen major damage done to systems where an incompatible solvent/cleaner was used and destroyed or caused a failure somewhere in the system.

Have I suggested to look at the TM on the Maintenance Proceedures and Intervals? That info should tell you most of the How To's and Use What's

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It'd make it easier if you'd post the year and model of truck you have.

When trying to disassemble the Valve try to fine a solvent/cleaner that will break down the dirt/corrosion and not hurt the Valve or the medium that the Valve controls, (I.e. oil, water, fuel etc).

The Solvent also needs to be compatible with the material that the Valve is made out of. I've seen major damage done to systems where an incompatible solvent/cleaner was used and destroyed or caused a failure somewhere in the system.

Have I suggested to look at the TM on the Maintenance Proceedures and Intervals? That info should tell you most of the How To's and Use What's
If you are aware of solvent that can dissolve aluminum oxide and the galling/corrosion I'm all ears. Unfortunately the solution of this issue (using the special cap that is literally right next to the valve) was not used so water got inside of there and the whole thing completely seized up.

NotThatGuy

If you are aware of solvent that can dissolve aluminum oxide and the galling/corrosion I'm all ears. Unfortunately the solution of this issue (using the special cap that is literally right next to the valve) was not used so water got inside of there and the whole thing completely seized up.
What does the TM say about cleaning/maintaining the Unit?

Usually the Maintenence/Repair Proceedure Manual says something to the effect; "Use Cleaner NSN: 123abc or equivalent, Do not use Solvents/Cleaners that contain XYZ."

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does the TM say about cleaning/maintaining the Unit?

Usually the Maintenence/Repair Proceedure Manual says something to the effect; "Use Cleaner NSN: 123abc or equivalent, Do not use Solvents/Cleaners that contain XYZ."
This is the US Army - not NASA. That's a sealed unit and has no maintenance.

Operator PMCS:

Monthly0.1Ether Starting Aid

1. Check ether cylinder (Figure 3, Item 1) for loose or damaged mounts and hardware. Check ether cylinder and injection valve (Figure 3, Item 2) for damage.

So in other words - visual inspection.

The troubleshooting for "Ether Assist Does not Operate" has you check for voltage, ohm the coil, and then replace the solenoid. The military isn't going to get inside that solenoid they are going to round file it and install a new one. Every. Time.

The ether system operation is entirely automatic on A1+ trucks - it is operated by the CAT ECM. And since both the 3126b and the C7 have intake grid heaters it's got to be REALLY cold to activate the ether. My truck didn't even have a bottle installed. And unless it's REALLY cold and won't start or won't start easily the grunts probably aren't even going to notice if the ether operates or not.

NSN : 4810-01-542-3495

Part numbers: 12417356-001, QS4-6SS

Last edited:

Third From Texas

Call Midwest 636-900-9046

They're a bit pricey but, how much is your time worth?

I'm curious just what "pricey" is, but my time is worth more than calling a point-of-compass military parts flipper to find out.

I'm betting that it's in the $300+ price range from them with another $60 to ship (given that it's an $82 part readily available elsewhere with $15 shipping).

As PT Barnum said....

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the US Army - not NASA. That's a sealed unit and has no maintenance.

Operator PMCS:

Monthly0.1Ether Starting Aid

1. Check ether cylinder (Figure 3, Item 1) for loose or damaged mounts and hardware. Check ether cylinder and injection valve (Figure 3, Item 2) for damage.

So in other words - visual inspection.

The troubleshooting for "Ether Assist Does not Operate" has you check for voltage, ohm the coil, and then replace the solenoid. The military isn't going to get inside that solenoid they are going to round file it and install a new one. Every. Time.

The ether system operation is entirely automatic on A1+ trucks - it is operated by the CAT ECM. And since both the 3126b and the C7 have intake grid heaters it's got to be REALLY cold to activate the ether. My truck didn't even have a bottle installed. And unless it's REALLY cold and won't start or won't start easily the grunts probably aren't even going to notice if the ether operates or not.

NSN : 4810-01-542-3495

Part numbers: 12417356-001, QS4-6SS

Thanks!

Ronmar

ours is a QS5, but there are QS3 and QS4 on Ebay for $ 50-95. Not sure how important the type valve assembly is, other than ours is 24V. The line size and number and size of the manifold nozzles determine how much is delivered . Even at that the A0 procedure has you applying it at about a 40% duty cycle?

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ours is a QS5, but there are QS3 and QS4 on Ebay for $ 50-95. Not sure how important the type valve assembly is, other than ours is 24V. The line size and number and size of the manifold nozzles determine how much is delivered . Even at that the A0 procedure has you applying it at about a 40% duty cycle?
Saw that. No luck contacting Quick Start either. Sure would be nice if they had a designation datasheet. I imagine some of the modifiers are for bottle thread side, materials use, solenoid spec (12V, 24V, continuous), port location, size, electrical connector, and thread types.
The QS4-6SS looks the same. I'll try to figure out any differences when it arrives.

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The QS4-6SS looks the same. I'll try to figure out any differences when it arrives.
The one I linked to is the NSN/part number called out by the A1R/A1P2 parts manual as fitting trucks with serial numbers above 100,623

The older valve is part number QS5-5CTP or NSN 4810-01-442-8695

The older trucks used two intake "atomizers" while the C7 trucks use one. They are not the same NSN as the double atomizer setup.

It is worth noting that between serial numbers 100,001 and 100,623 it appears that the older system was used on the A1R/C7. Just to completely confuse the situation.

The TM also notes that QS5-5CTP as being used on serial numbers 18,549 and "prior" and there's no clear indication of what was used between 18,550, and 100,622 although I think that's probably just a parts manual glitch and all those trucks are likely using the QS5......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks