• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Select Vehicles on Hold GL WHAT?

stumps

"Perhaps, but we haven't yet determined that radium was used on any of the gauges. My '69 is both glow, and radium free. It has no measurable gamma or beta emissions. It has none of the apparatus needed to have tritium dials... "

Early Tritium wasn't in any apparatus- it was tritiated solvent mixed with phosphorescent paint to glow so it would not have the vial--type apparatus of night sights or modern watches. It is hard to distinguish from normal whitish-green paint.

You can't detect tritium easily with a normal geiger counter, the low energy 18 keV beta particles from it aren't strong enought to go through the walls of a geiger counter gas wall detector or the gauge glass window.

I suspect, IF anything is radioactive, its likely with tritium. I think these trucks are too new for radium. I'm certain older vehicles likely had some radium, but I doubt into the 1970s it was continued. I could be wrong though.
I understand that, and I have geiger counters that can detect the beta from tritium dials. I also know exactly what they look like, and I can assure you my '69 M35A2 has none in it.

Tritium paint is easy to tell over white paint. It is thick, and builds up off of the dial surface. It is also yellowish green in color. After 10/15 years, it won't glow very brightly anymore. After 20/30 years, it is too dim to see even in the darkest room.

Radium dials were not made past 1968. Some promethium dials were made from 1968 through 1980. Tritium became popular, but like promethium, it is very short lived.

-Chuck

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I ate lead paint chips as a kid for snacks...we were poor.
Hey wait...maybe I can blame DOD cause i never could have kids...I got to ride in several deuces when extremely lucky...but mostly had ta walk...for over 20 friggin years:-D
The gauges did it!!!

I need a bailout :wink:

greenjeepster

The manager for the M35A2's said it was about gauges. Why would he lie?

-Chuck
Because he doesn't know just like everybody else. Military orders come down from the top often without explanation and he has to follow them. Probably he got the call and when he asked for an explanation, the secretary who was told to call him really did not have much interest in the topic and heard something about a gauge or something.........

There are 474 trucks on that list, 130ish of them are Frankfort KY trucks and another large group are FT Knox trucks. There are some stragglers from other various sites, but the bulk of those trucks are KY trucks.

There are thousands of trucks from the exact same era that are not effected in the hands of the public right now. Granted this may be a test group of trucks and then the inspections will spread from there, but we are talking a huge undertaking and cost to do so.

Like I said before I am sitting tight for now, this could blow over relatively quickly if somebody talks some sense into the Pencil Pusher who thought this mess up. It could also take years if they go through and actually inspect all these trucks individually. I just hope that if they inspect them they release them as they inspect instead of as a group when it is done:roll:

Sevensteps

Like I said before I am sitting tight for now, this could blow over relatively quickly if somebody talks some sense into the Pencil Pusher who thought this mess up. It could also take years if they go through and actually inspect all these trucks individually. I just hope that if they inspect them they release them as they inspect instead of as a group when it is done:roll:
I am not "sitting tight" which is exactly why I wrote to both of my US Senators in addition to the Congressman I wrote a week ago.

Remember, we have a 60 day clock ticking and better than 35 days is gone on the Frankfort auctions.

Sitting tight is fine as long as GL sits tight and doesn't cancel these auctions because they went beyond the 60 day point...I can promise you, that if they do cancel them and then end up relisting later, my two trucks will bring more than the $1200 that I bid on them.

greenjeepster

I am only 12 days into my 60 day wait so I have plenty of time to sit tight. I also have the feeling that the clocks officially stopped when the hold order was issued. We are talking about a lot of money in sold trucks and GL is not going to be in any hurry to hand it all back.

I think that a large group of us writing to our politicians will serve no useful purpose, but to draw unwanted attention from Washington. A politician's solution is not going to be to issue "unsafe" trucks to the general public, but rather to refund the people's money.

Also we must keep in mind that we all accepted the TERMS OF USE when we bid on these trucks; none of our rights are being violated here.

Last edited:

JCKnife

Based on folks still getting their paid-in-full invoices and picking up trucks, I do not think the EUC clock is stopping.

What's really going to be a problem for me is if my EUC clears and I'm expected to get my ammo trailer out of Wright Patt with no clear future on my Deuce. I don't have any use for the trailer without it. I guess I could re-sell the trailer, though.

Sevensteps

I am only 12 days into my 60 day wait so I have plenty of time to sit tight. I also have the feeling that the clocks officially stopped when the hold order was issued. We are talking about a lot of money in sold trucks and GL is not going to be in any hurry to hand it all back.

I think that a large group of us writing to our politicians will serve no useful purpose, but to draw unwanted attention from Washington. A politician's solution is not going to be to issue "unsafe" trucks to the general public, but rather to refund the people's money.
Well, I am 35 days into my wait...

Alot of it depends on how the inquiry is worded. I simply asked my Representative to inquire about MY particular auction lots and see if he could possibly expedite them. I didn't give broad complaints about the system.

And I have gotten ZERO guaranty from GL that the clock has stopped on these auctions. That's an assumption not based on anthing but opinion.

nhdiesel

Based on folks still getting their paid-in-full invoices and picking up trucks, I do not think the EUC clock is stopping.

What's really going to be a problem for me is if my EUC clears and I'm expected to get my ammo trailer out of Wright Patt with no clear future on my Deuce. I don't have any use for the trailer without it. I guess I could re-sell the trailer, though.
And when I asked GL about the 14-day limit I had to remove my trucks, he couldn't answer whether that still applied. So there is every possibility that the 14-day clock is ticking, and I could lose everything I have into these trucks.

I know that makes no sense...you would think the 14-day limit is on hold...but unless I hear something official about it, I won't assume that. I watched my father lose 25% on a truck because GL screwed up the paperwork, so I'm sure not trusting the govt. to make this right.

Jim

tblackbu_77

Can someone explain the 60 day policy?

Here's my situation. MyAuction was 4737 like most everyone's. My EUC cleared and I got my paid invoice 10/27. When I spoke to Ft Knox on Tuesday 10-27 they set my pick up for 11/6, then on Thursday Josh from GL at FT Knox called me back and said they couldn't come to Frankfort on 11/6 due to a generator issue(WTF that ever meant) but could I come on 11/13. Seems Fridays are the only day they are doing pick ups. I said I couldn't because of a trip he said no worries come on the 20th.

Then Friday night I get my Dear John letter from GL.

Now am I suppose to assume(we all know that definition) that my clock is on hold until the get this squared away ? I'm not walking from my truck. If the gauge is contaminated, fine rip it out, I'll make do.

GL screwed me once already on another truck when I filed a claim for a torn cargo cover and they opted to just refund my money and keep the truck.

Todd

Last edited:

nhdiesel

The 60 day is the time limit for the EUC to be approved. Since yours is already back, you got your Paid in Full invoice, the 60-day period should be over, now you have 14 days to remove your trucks from the time you got your invoice back. Do you think this will be cleared up within 14 days?

MAYBE there will be an extension...but until I get official word, I'm not assuming that!

Jim

bassetdeuce

It is a wonder how we are even able to do recoveries. They give you 14 days to pick up, but the site managers often tell you that you only have 1 specific day with a 2 hour window to do it.

Without going to look at the terms and conditions, does it says 14 calendar days or 14 working days to pick up items. If items are only available for pickup 2 working days a week, shouldn't that give us 7 weeks to pick stuff up?

nhdiesel

Without going to look at the terms and conditions, does it says 14 calendar days or 14 working days to pick up items. If items are only available for pickup 2 working days a week, shouldn't that give us 7 weeks to pick stuff up?
Copy and paste of the typical time limit:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Load by appointment only within 14 days of a paid in full invoice. Contact site manager for appointment.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Nothing about working days, GL days, or any other details. Pretty safe to assume its just 14 calendar days.

Just found this in the Terms & Conditions:

A schedule for removal of property will be established for each sale. You must remove all property awarded within this time limit. If for any reason removal cannot be completed within the time period, it is your responsibility to arrange with our site manager for an extension of time. We are not responsible for property that is not removed within the time allotted. If property is not removed within the specified removal period or scheduled for removal at a later date with our site manager, we will consider the property to be abandoned by you, and you will have abandoned all right, title and interest in the property including the purchase price of the property. We are not required to send abandonment or late removal letters to you prior to exercising the right of abandonment.

So they CAN grant an extension, but don't have to. And if they choose not to, we lose everything we paid. Hopefully they grant them, since this is in no way our fault!

Oh yea...but if an extension is granted, we can be responsible for storage fees:

Any extension of the removal period may result in Buyer incurring storage charges. You agree that, unless waived in writing by GL, you are liable for storage charges for all items not removed within the removal period.
Jim

Last edited:

greenjeepster

The hold status did not come down until Friday afternoon so we do not know that EUCs are still getting processed at this point. I would bet that they are not.

I would also bet that this has to do with the m35a2s getting pulled from the last auction cycle and it just took two weeks for the hold order to make its way down to GL.

roscoe

Copy and paste of the typical time limit:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Load by appointment only within 14 days of a paid in full invoice. Contact site manager for appointment.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Nothing about working days, GL days, or any other details. Pretty safe to assume its just 14 calendar days.

Just found this in the Terms & Conditions:
A schedule for removal of property will be established for each sale. You must remove all property awarded within this time limit. If for any reason removal cannot be completed within the time period, it is your responsibility to arrange with our site manager for an extension of time. We are not responsible for property that is not removed within the time allotted. If property is not removed within the specified removal period or scheduled for removal at a later date with our site manager, we will consider the property to be abandoned by you, and you will have abandoned all right, title and interest in the property including the purchase price of the property. We are not required to send abandonment or late removal letters to you prior to exercising the right of abandonment.

So they CAN grant an extension, but don't have to. And if they choose not to, we lose everything we paid. Hopefully they grant them, since this is in no way our fault!

Oh yea...but if an extension is granted, we can be responsible for storage fees:
Any extension of the removal period may result in Buyer incurring storage charges. You agree that, unless waived in writing by GL, you are liable for storage charges for all items not removed within the removal period.
Jim
I think a lot is at the descretion of the lot manager. I had two trailers to pick up from the GL lot but it was only open, by appointment, one day a week till 1p. I had a 7 hour drive and was able to get only one at a time. I was told by the GL rep that he would work with me and not to worry. I think its mostly about storage space for incomming items. Nice guy, worked out fine.

JCKnife

I spoke with Marcus the local GL rep and he confirmed that it's radium in the gauges that they are worried about (he brought it up, not me). He said something like, there's widespread belief around the company that it's a bogus fear, and that it could be cleared up quickly. He wasn't yet sure what the process was going to be but said he would make some calls and get back to me. He was not aware that customers had been notified (in Friday's e-mail).