• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Select Vehicles on Hold GL WHAT?

velociT

My thought is that if this is not an exucse (which I'm all but convinced it is) then I guess they're not worried about national guardsmen getting cancer, just us?

stumps

My thought is that if this is not an exucse (which I'm all but convinced it is) then I guess they're not worried about national guardsmen getting cancer, just us?
Perhaps, but we haven't yet determined that radium was used on any of the gauges. My '69 is both glow, and radium free. It has no measurable gamma or beta emissions. It has none of the apparatus needed to have tritium dials...

A lot of what is purported to be radium dials are actually promethium dials. They are made the same way, and both are glow in the dark paints, but promethium has a much shorter half life of about 17 years, and is mostly a beta emitter.

I have a certain amount of trouble understanding why "radium" dials would be used in a deuce anyway. If the deuce is running, it is going to be glowing like a turkey in a variety of places, and its audio signature is going to be obvious for miles away. There really isn't going to be a problem with a little red electric light action lighting up the dials. If the deuce is turned off, exactly which dial do you really need to read? Fuel and battery are the only ones that come to mind.

-Chuck

Perhaps, but we haven't yet determined that radium was used on any of the gauges. My '69 is both glow, and radium free. It has no measurable gamma or beta emissions. It has none of the apparatus needed to have tritium dials...
-Chuck
Chuck,
Your truck came from Wisconsin so the gauge dials would be made of cheeseium, it is not known for any measurable emissions, but too much exposure may cause constipation.

x-ray

"Perhaps, but we haven't yet determined that radium was used on any of the gauges. My '69 is both glow, and radium free. It has no measurable gamma or beta emissions. It has none of the apparatus needed to have tritium dials... "

Early Tritium wasn't in any apparatus- it was tritiated solvent mixed with phosphorescent paint to glow so it would not have the vial--type apparatus of night sights or modern watches. It is hard to distinguish from normal whitish-green paint.

You can't detect tritium easily with a normal geiger counter, the low energy 18 keV beta particles from it aren't strong enought to go through the walls of a geiger counter gas wall detector or the gauge glass window.

I suspect, IF anything is radioactive, its likely with tritium. I think these trucks are too new for radium. I'm certain older vehicles likely had some radium, but I doubt into the 1970s it was continued. I could be wrong though.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Shoot...I'm still confused...are my teeth and hair falling out from XYTritium from the gauges of the older trucks...or is it old age:?:

I'm sorry to make light of this and I feel for you fellers who have money tied up and can't get your trucks...really I do.

I'm just not one to speculate...unless I have personal or credible knowledge about what I'm speculating about.:idea:

Seems to me that no one has a clue why things are tied up and we won't until DOD or GL or who ever lets us know:?:

I hereby speculate / predict that by next Friday..November 6 2009, some light will be shed on the subject:wink:

Okay, don't have time to read all the messages, I have to go back to work in a couple of days. With the price I paid, I'm going to wait this out, because I don't think I can get another deuce for around $1000. I've looked at mine and know what to expect. If it takes an extra month or so, that's just a little more time to put some $$$$ away to get ready to work on my truck. I might have to move new gauges higher up the list of things to replace (like to #2). EUC day #44 is over.

greenjeepster

I am not convinced this is about the gauges. It is a relatively small number of trucks on the "hold list" when you compared to the numbers of the same trucks that they have sold over the past few years that are not on the hold list. If it was a radiation issue they were concerned about they would be recalling 1000s of trucks not just this couple of hundred. But given the pass that the DOD works at I guess that could be coming down the pike yet too.

It did only take them 40 years to decide that agent orange did in fact cause leukemia in service personnel. Lucky for them, by the time they decided that the research was conclusive, the service people they would have had to compensate were mostly dead. :roll:

Chief_919

The other thing that makes it unlikely is the hold is only for M35A2s, but the same gauges are used in several more truck series. If all truck sales were on hold the gauge concept may hold more water.

Only m35A2's date from the time period when such guages were installed from the factory- A3's don't, 800 and 900 series trucks don't.

nhdiesel

And we are talking about the Govt here...if it was an issue with the gauges, and they pulled all the trucks because of it, they are admitting liability. Then they have to deal with the thousands of similar trucks already in private hands. They would be opened up for lawsuits from anyone who has cancer who once rode in a Deuce. Maybe I buy into conspiracy theories too much, but I would think they would bury any reports and not rock the boat. Especially since in reality, the chances of there being any actual health risk is about none.

Whatever the issue...hopefully its cleared up soon.

Jim

WyoDeuce

I just checked my account with G.L. and my paid in full invoice is still available. I allready printed several copies just in case but if G.L. was up to something I think that my invoice would be unavailable. I am going to wait it out because I think my truck was a good buy and it is close enough to drive home. (350 miles) Hopefully we all hear something next week.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure GL is just as mad about this as the people here are. All this is just a big hassle for them. Sure, they are still holding your money but I bet if you asked them they would cancel the sale and refund your money. GL has a bunch of problems but their hands are tied on this one because they have to live up to the contract they signed with the Gov.

stumps

Shoot...I'm still confused...are my teeth and hair falling out from XYTritium from the gauges of the older trucks...or is it old age:?:
Tritium in little ampules, or in paint is 100% completely and totally harmless in a gauge. You would have to eat it, and even then it likely would cause no problems.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks