• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Selectro locking hubs

pa.rich

I have a question about putting hubs on these trucks. On a duece or a five tonner, Is it possible to put the hubs on a front axle AND a rear axle and just drive with one rear axle pushing? Will they fit on?Another question about these hubs: On the older civilian 4WD trucks the manuals said not to use four wheel drive when the hubs are disengaged. They didnt want the axles turning at that time. Whats the difference with these larger trucks?Is the five ton in only rear wheel drive when in high range ? Or are they always in 6X6 either range. On the civie trucks you have a choice of high range 2 wd or high and low 4wd. Can anyone fill me in on this?

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
if you buy replacement rear axle shafts from ouverson enginering you can run a set of locking hubs on the rear. they sell replacement stuff for 2.5 ton rears for people in the mudding scene who break stuff. thier replacement rear shatfs are splined on bith ends. to install them you would have to use a front axle drive flange or like you want to do, use a locking hub

WOLF

Mine came with the spacer and the special bolts are just long bolts . I hope this works out for you all as it is so KOOL to get out and turn those big HONKEN KNOBS . It's like haven a FIST FULL OF DOLLARS though .

rdixiemiller

pa.rich said:
I have a question about putting hubs on these trucks. On a duece or a five tonner, Is it possible to put the hubs on a front axle AND a rear axle and just drive with one rear axle pushing? Will they fit on?Another question about these hubs: On the older civilian 4WD trucks the manuals said not to use four wheel drive when the hubs are disengaged. They didnt want the axles turning at that time. Whats the difference with these larger trucks?Is the five ton in only rear wheel drive when in high range ? Or are they always in 6X6 either range. On the civie trucks you have a choice of high range 2 wd or high and low 4wd. Can anyone fill me in on this?
You can put a double splined axle and a locking hub on the front tandem and run with 1 rear axle only. I don't know of any 5 ton locking hubs, so you would have to pull an axle shaft out to run with one rear axle only. The deuce and 5 ton originally had sprag transfer cases, so they were always in 6x6. If the rear wheels started slipping, the front axle drive automatically engaged. On the later trucks with airshift transfer cases (deuce only) you were always in 4x6, if you flip the switch you are in 6x6. The later 5 tonners had a modification to the air system on the transfer cases to use an airshift switch to turn the truck from 6x6 to 4x6 for highway use.

spicergear

Touching back on what pa.rich wrote...and someone can smite me if this sounds too far out too lunch but wouldn't you think the hubs being used as they're designed so that the hubs spin as the axle (front) remains motionless when the front isn't engaged. That means that the guts of the hub are constantly absorbing the rotation from the hub and lockout to the dormant axle. Now, if the truck was in 6x6 mode and the front axle was engaged wouldn't there be less rotational difference between the hub/lockout and axleshaft as now the axleshaft would be rotating at nearly same speed as the because the driveline is all moving and the wheels are all rotating. :)

rdixiemiller

Summit?

OD_Coyote said:
I just ordered a set from Summit.
Ouch! I was going to order a set from them, but after tax and handling the price was right at $540, almost $100 more than the other place. Plus, they are out of stock.
I guess I'll suck it up and order Ouversons from Hot Rod Deuce.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Summit?

A local guy has lock outs and a detroit for 850. Is there a way to look over the locker and tell if there is dammage?

rdixiemiller

spicergear said:
Touching back on what pa.rich wrote...and someone can smite me if this sounds too far out too lunch but wouldn't you think the hubs being used as they're designed so that the hubs spin as the axle (front) remains motionless when the front isn't engaged. That means that the guts of the hub are constantly absorbing the rotation from the hub and lockout to the dormant axle. Now, if the truck was in 6x6 mode and the front axle was engaged wouldn't there be less rotational difference between the hub/lockout and axleshaft as now the axleshaft would be rotating at nearly same speed as the because the driveline is all moving and the wheels are all rotating. :)
That is correct. The hubs are designed to handle the rotation, so they hold up fine. When you use one on a rear axle with a double splined shaft, there is practically no rotational difference speed between the axle shaft and the hub, as the wheels keep everything turning.

OD_Coyote

Ouch! I was going to order a set from them, but after tax and handling the price was right at $540, almost $100 more than the other place. Plus, they are out of stock.
I guess I'll suck it up and order Ouversons from Hot Rod Deuce.

rdixiemiller - My order from summit was $497.43 OTD and the expected ship date is May 5th.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
They charge sales tak in Ga, that was almost $40.
Because there is now a Summit location in McDonough.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just stopped by O'Riley auto parts on the way home they get 495$ plus shipping and tax. They have a 4 week backorder status.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rmgill said:
Why not buy the Oeverson hubs for that price?
The best I could find is $595.- plus shipping for the Ouversons. Anyone knowing a better source? :?
I need to buy 3 sets and would be happy to pay not more than what the Selectros cost!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks