• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Self recovery winch: loosing oil through "overpressure" valve

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Self recovery winch: loosing oil through relief valve

Hello all.
I have a strange problem with my M1078 self recovering winch. On top of the winch drum (behnid the hydraulic motor) there is a small spring loaded valve. I loose all the time oil from this valve, without operating the winch at all. Not many, but when I manually hold open the valve the oil starts to flow and never stops...
My questions are:
- should be oil inside?
- why there is so many oil that drops out?
- where does the oil come? broken gasket / o-ring?
- have anyone a drawing / something to understand how it works?

Thank you and regards from Italy!

Christian

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the oil is coming from the hydraulic motor. Must have a bad seal which is allowing seepage from the hyd reservoir to the winch gear case.

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, found the drawing. I see a screw (43) and a oring(42). in m1078_TM 9-2320-365-24P.pdf, page 680 Maybe both of then are closing / opening the oil flow to the brake chamber?

Christian

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello again...
winch.PNG
Anyone knows what item no. 43 do?

Thank you and sorry if I insist... :)

Christian

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the oil is coming from the hydraulic motor. Must have a bad seal which is allowing seepage from the hyd reservoir to the winch gear case.
Hello NDT.
Should be the winch gear case full of oil?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks