• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Self recovery winch: loosing oil through "overpressure" valve

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Self recovery winch: loosing oil through relief valve

Hello all.
I have a strange problem with my M1078 self recovering winch. On top of the winch drum (behnid the hydraulic motor) there is a small spring loaded valve. I loose all the time oil from this valve, without operating the winch at all. Not many, but when I manually hold open the valve the oil starts to flow and never stops...
My questions are:
- should be oil inside?
- why there is so many oil that drops out?
- where does the oil come? broken gasket / o-ring?
- have anyone a drawing / something to understand how it works?

Thank you and regards from Italy!

Christian

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the oil is coming from the hydraulic motor. Must have a bad seal which is allowing seepage from the hyd reservoir to the winch gear case.

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, found the drawing. I see a screw (43) and a oring(42). in m1078_TM 9-2320-365-24P.pdf, page 680 Maybe both of then are closing / opening the oil flow to the brake chamber?

Christian

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello again...
winch.PNG
Anyone knows what item no. 43 do?

Thank you and sorry if I insist... :)

Christian

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the oil is coming from the hydraulic motor. Must have a bad seal which is allowing seepage from the hyd reservoir to the winch gear case.
Hello NDT.
Should be the winch gear case full of oil?