• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seriously looking at lmtv need input please

tburk49760

Have not driven her for a few days and went out to light the fire. 10 degrees. A little ether button and violá, of she goes! Oil pressure came up right away. The CTIS did the all light blinky thing so I unplugged it and forgot about it til the truck came up to temp in the cab, boy, that took a while! Plugged it back in and all is well. Rubber parts must not like the cold?

tburk49760

Interesting issue today, while I was attempting to back up on the icy corner to pick up my generator for servicing, I slid into the ditch and got stuck. I think a locker is required soon... While attempting to extricate myself, I heard a massive whooshing and the low air warning went off. After much worry about a blown air line, I noticed that the sound was coming from the brake vent under the heater. I vaguely recalled someone discussing the tractor protection valve causing massive air loss or some such. I jacked up the cab by hand and restarted the truck and sure enough one of the three behind the kick plate below the drivers door was hissing. Couldn't tell which as the motor is too noisy so I ever so not gently tapped each in turn til they behaved. No I believe it's time to rebuild or replace all three. Thoughts?

coachgeo

you say icy. so it must still be cold there. So maybe water in brake lines.. thus allowing for a frozen little chunk caught just right to case a stuck open air valve?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have had odd things happen when trying to operate with low pressure. If it's working fine now then it should be ok. I keep an extra check valve, among other spare parts, in the truck I drive. Good to have certain spares on hand.

tburk49760

Been driving the heck out of this truck! She is behaving pretty well. Still need to finish the ac and do the sound and heat reduction stuff... finally got a cargo cover and frame and I love it! Brand new three color! She started leaking oil and I need to steam clean it so I can find the issue. Also noticed today on a long steep pull, there was a bit of smoke from the exhaust. Grey not black. Not antifreeze for sure though. Oil?

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was wondering if it was a three color or just OD and painted. How much smoke and how steep of a hill? Our trucks are a bit low on power, she may just be working a bit to get up the hill.

I am am willing to bet your oil leak is coming from behind the air compressor area. It's a common leak (mine is leaking there as well). It's a 7 cent oring that cat under spec'd . The colored is from the oil distribution block mounted to the engine. Internet says you only need to pull the power steering pump and the aft compressor bracket to get to it. I'm ignoring my leak for now and concentrating on the high speed gear install along with the locker install.

tburk49760

The other day when parking my 16k air brake equipped trailer, I inadvertently unhooked the trailer supply gladhand whilst the knob was still in the supply position. It seems to me that there should have been a blast of air? No such... the trailer brakes work fine but it's always taken a long time for the park brake on the trailer to release. Thoughts?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I believe the tractor protection valve controls that. It prevents significant air loss if a line is disconnected in action. I don't know exactly how it behaves firsthand though I don't tow anything.

snowtrac nome

the tpv valve automatically pops out when you set the park brake, so it was working right. you should not get a blast of air, when your air supply drops to around 50 psi the tpv should pop out and I think its 15 for the park brake. glad to here you are enjoying it pulling the ps pump isn't too bad nor is the air compressor on these trucks, quarters can be kind of tight on the c-7's with the ecm and all the electronic harnesses though.

tburk49760

Well well... diagnosing an oil leak lead me to the dreaded front gear case crack! She really started leaking bad a few months ago and yes, I did inspect my compressor support bracket about a year ago and it was intact and the bolts were tight. Craptastic! Not sure I have bandwidth to repair this. I may stuff some magic jb weld in it or find a shop to replace it... aaaargh! Bad timing.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure it's the front gear case? My leak in that area after cleaning it all up I found to be from the governor above the compressor. There was a doohickey sensor thing held in by a bracket and the bracket had broken allowing its o ring seal to seep. So I bent the hold down bracket and added washers and trail fixed it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks